PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Patron: The Relic

Syruptitious
2016-04-19, 08:40 PM
This is a simple reskin I made last night to try and fit into an Eberron campaign I've been cooking up for 5th edition. This is my first time posting so there may be some formatting taboos I'm unwittingly committing and if so I do apologize. Criticisms and feedback are welcome.

Spells and abilities are essentially reskins of the “Ghost in the Machine” patron from the Modern Magic Unearthed Arcana with the exception of Wire Walk and Personal Encryption, which have been replaced with Deceive Item and Black Market Magic respectively. Upon further consideration, the level 14 ability has also now been changed.

New Warlock patron: The Relic
Your patron is a sentient magical item. It itself has no notable abilities other than granting you your warlock powers. It may be a rune-inscribed monolith deep in an abandoned cave, a small seemingly innocuous toy pulsing with arcane power, or even an intricate family heirloom handed down through the generations. Regardless of its origin, you and this item are bound to one another and attempts to get rid of it almost always inadvertently fail.

Expanded Spell list
1st
Identify, Tenser's Floating Disk
2nd
Arcane Lock, Knock
3rd
Nondetection, Continual Flame
4th
Fabricate, Leomund's Secret Chest
5th
Teleportation Circle, Legend Lore

Bonus Proficiency
At 1st level, when you choose this patron, you become proficient in Thieves' Tools.

Patron Abilities

Disrupt item
At 1st level, you gain the ability to temporarily suppress the effects of magical items. As an action, you can target a magical item within 30 feet of you. If the target is held or otherwise actively used by a creature, that creature must make an intelligence saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failed save, the item ceases to function until the end of your next turn (though a magic weapon may still be used as its mundane version). If the item is not held or used by a creature, the DM makes a save for the item at disadvantage with a modifier of +0. Certain items might negate this disadvantage, at DM's discretion
Once you use this feature, you cannot do so again until after a short or long rest.

Deceive Item
At 6th level, you may, as an bonus action, become able to use a nonlegendary magic item you aren't attuned to but which requires attunement. If you are attuned to three items this temporarily suppresses another item of your choice you are attuned to until the end of your turn.
Once you use this ability you may not do so again until a short or long rest.

Black Market Magic
At 10th level, you become immune to magical item curses and may use items regardless of race or class restrictions.
In addition, you have advantage on checks to find and negotiate with buyers and sellers of magical items and on interacting with sentient magical items.

Imbue Item
At 14th level, you gain the ability to get some extra uses out of your magical items. You may, as an action, choose one item you possess that has charges (such as a wand, a staff, etc.) and attempt to recharge it. You make the normal roll as if a day had passed since the item's last use and regain whatever the result of the roll is. If the item only has one use per day, then that use is restored.
This ability cannot be used on items that have a recharge period of more than one day and also cannot be used to give an item more than its maximum amount of charges.
(For example, if a character were to use this ability on a Wand of Magic Missiles with only two charges remaining then the result of the 1d6+1 roll would be added to those charges to a maximum of 7)
Once you use this ability, you must complete a long rest before you do so again.

Thanks for reading.

Foxhound438
2016-04-20, 02:35 AM
all seems interesting but it may end up difficult to find use for this for the player characters. A lot of DM's neglect to give npc's any non-mundane equipment, so it's kind of useless in such cases.

Syruptitious
2016-04-20, 11:23 AM
That's a good point. I didn't want to change too much from Ghost in the Machine but looking at it again the 14th ability is a bit too situational. I like where the 1st ability is at but perhaps that should change too.

I mostly want to get the feel of the 3.5 warlock with their "cheating" at magic items. I'll have to rethink some stuff.

Cancer115
2016-04-22, 06:47 PM
Interesting. How does the magical item give the ability though?

Syruptitious
2016-04-25, 08:13 PM
The specifics on how the item gives the warlock power is up to the player and the DM. My personal preference would be an item that's powerful enough to impart permanent magical powers onto its user and with some sort of goal that it can't attain by itself, being inanimate and all. But honestly, like all Patrons, there's a lot of room for flavoring it one way or the other.

tombowings
2016-05-01, 08:33 AM
This is a fantastic idea, but I'm not so sure about the execution. I think the concept it great, but suffers from tunnel vision. Instead of giving the character abilities having to do with identifying, using, and creating other magic items, I would go the other way. I would have the artifact be jealous and greedy for the user's attention, instead giving it powers that would make it shy away (somehow) from the use of other...lesser...items.

tombowings
2016-05-01, 01:13 PM
Sorry if my post above wasn't particularly helpful. As a reskin of the 'Ghost in the Machine' patron, it looks pretty good, as long as you're playing in a setting with enough magic items for the class features to come into play (which I'm assuming you are).

Syruptitious
2016-05-07, 09:04 PM
That's actually a pretty interesting concept. I really just wanted to make a warlock that could manipulate magic items but perhaps I should make the abilities less dependent on them, since obviously it wouldn't be suited to a low magic setting. Stuff to think about for sure.

And yes, the archetype is meant for a place like Eberron, where magic items clutter the streets.