PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bastion Boots Clarification?

AoiEMT
2016-04-19, 09:40 PM
Hello all,

I've recently come across what may be my favorite items to date: the Bastion Boots (http://archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Bastion%20Boot s).

The boots can be used as an immovable rod, even when worn. If the boots are moved, the wearer moves with the boots. Even while not activated, bastion boots grant the wearer a +4 bonus to her CMD against combat maneuvers to move her.

Does this mean I could use them to walk in the air like stairs even if very slowly? Or activate them mid jump?

Just wondering any creative uses or rule clarifications that others might have come across for these glorious boots.

upho
2016-04-28, 11:18 AM
Does this mean I could use them to walk in the air like stairs even if very slowly?Yes. But the many move actions required for activation/deactivation indeed make them a very slow way of "flying/climbing", just as a pair of immovable rods are.
Or activate them mid jump?Yes, provided you can take an additional move action during the same turn as you take the move/full-round action to jump (for example by using the extra move provided by a Quick-Runner's Shirt to jump and your regular move to activate the boots). In short, this is probably not the most resource-efficient or useful combo. An option which provides you with a decent climb speed or (better) actual flight is going to be a lot more useful and should be accessible to you soon if you can afford the boots.

Just wondering any creative uses or rule clarifications that others might have come across for these glorious boots.To me they actually seem overpriced. They do provide a +4 CMD bonus to a few combat maneuvers, but that doesn't justify their cost, and their use as immovable rods is very likely to be largely wasted within a couple of levels, as lots of options granting flight become more accessible.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 12:25 PM
As upho stated, they're an extremely slow/lacking form of flight. Move action deactivate one foot, 5ft. step forward, move action reactivate foot, then repeat with other foot. You'd effectively have 5ft. perfect flight, or perhaps even half of that (every other round) if your GM rules you have to step forward with one foot at a time; it's not clear, but what is clear is that there are much better ways of getting around even for mundanes.

Zanos
2016-04-28, 12:52 PM
As upho stated, they're an extremely slow/lacking form of flight. Move action deactivate one foot, 5ft. step forward, move action reactivate foot, then repeat with other foot. You'd effectively have 5ft. perfect flight, or perhaps even half of that (every other round) if your GM rules you have to step forward with one foot at a time; it's not clear, but what is clear is that there are much better ways of getting around even for mundanes.
The boots function as an immovable rod(singular). You can't activate one or the other separately. You'd have to jump every round.

Psyren
2016-04-28, 01:28 PM
The boots function as an immovable rod(singular). You can't activate one or the other separately. You'd have to jump every round.

Can you jump during a 5-foot-step? If not, there's no way to use them to climb, because you'd need at least a move action to ascend as well as two more move actions to deactivate and reactivate them.

upho
2016-04-28, 06:41 PM
I very much suspect the singular form is a mistake. If they act as one single immovable rod, it would be flat out impossible to use them to climb the air, since it would require your standard PC to be able to take no less than three move actions in the same turn. And if they're actually not intended to allow you to climb the air, their pricing isn't just off, but so completely bonkers it's not even funny.

DarkSoul
2016-04-28, 08:10 PM
I very much suspect the singular form is a mistake. If they act as one single immovable rod, it would be flat out impossible to use them to climb the air, since it would require your standard PC to be able to take no less than three move actions in the same turn. And if they're actually not intended to allow you to climb the air, their pricing isn't just off, but so completely bonkers it's not even funny.Why would the singular description be a mistake? The relevant definition of "bastion" is anything seen as preserving or protecting some quality, condition, etc (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bastion). Rename them the "I win at King of the Hill" boots or something, the flavor is still there. They're not for climbing through the air. Once you're off the ground deactivating them to move any further upward will cause you to fall because the solid footing you were pushing off from just disappeared.

I do agree that the pricing is off. They should probably be 5k + the cost of +4 CMD.

upho
2016-04-29, 06:16 AM
What? You mean you cannot climb the bastion to get the nice view from atop the ramparts? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, good point. But considering how many oddly named options the game contains, not to mention there being examples of two very mechanically different options in the same category having the exact same name (just compare the two versions of Dueling weapon), I find the boots' name to be an even less convincing argument for their intended function than their pricing. Although just barely...

Still, my earlier comment is kinda moot in this case, since the RAW is absolutely clear in this case, and the RAI we (or I) can only speculate about. Though as a DM I would definitely houserule these to count as a pair of immovable rods, and lower their market price considerably.