PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Warrior (base class)

Lavidor
2007-06-23, 07:18 AM
Genesis Warrior(note: need to find new, nonsucky name)

Masters of infiltration and sabotage, the Genesis warriors can destroy any structure or sneak past any opponent. They are trained in many arts and styles of stealth.
Adventure: Genesis warriors may adventure for many reasons, such as a desire to be accepted, achieve a goal, or even to get away from the quite life. Few do not have ulterior motives, and those that don’t will not often find any purpose to continue adventuring.
Characteristics: Genesis warriors tend to be removed greatly from the world at large, and prefer to spend as much time as possible out of the focus. They are, however, often very loyal to their beliefs and friends.
Alignment: Genesis warriors are most often neutral, although more lean towards lawful alignments than chaotic ones.
Religion: Genesis warriors are not drawn to any one faith more than another, preferring to not worship anyone instead.
Background: Genesis warriors often come from military backgrounds, or else a maritime background or some other physical activity.
Races: Genesis warriors most often come from nimble, civilized races, such as halflings or elves. “Savage” races (such as goblins or orcs) almost never become Genesis warriors, favoring strength over subtlety.
Other Classes: Genesis warriors, as a rule, do not get on well with other classes, except rogues, who a Genesis warrior is most likely to see themselves in.

Attributes: Genesis warriors should have a high dexterity and strength score because of their general role as a backup warrior and flanker. They should also have a moderate intelligence, to take advantage of their skill points.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8.
Hit Points at 1st level: 8+ Constitution Modifier.
Class skills: Appraise, Balance, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (engineering), Move Silently, Swim, and Tumble.
Skill Points at 1st level: (4+ Intelligence Modifier) x4.
Skill Points at each additional level: 4+ Intelligence Modifier.

Table: The Genesis Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
0|
+2|
0|Bonus Feat, Sabotage +1

2nd|
+2|
0|
+3|
0|Mobility

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Spell Resistance, Sabotage +2

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat, Sneak Attack +1d6

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Sabotage +3

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Evasion

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Sneak Attack +2d6, Sabotage +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Uncanny Dodge, Sabotage +5

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Improved Evasion, Sneak Attack +3d6

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Spell magnet, Sabotage +6

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Bonus Feat

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Sneak Attack +4d6, Sabotage +7

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|——––———————————

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Sabotage +8

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Bonus Feat, Sneak Attack +5d6

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Sabotage +9

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|——––———————————

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Sneak Attack +6d6, Sabotage +10

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Bonus Feat[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Genesis warrior is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (but not tower shields).

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, and at every level divisible by 4, the Genesis warrior gains a bonus feat they already have prerequisites for, which may be a fighter bonus feat, a spelltouched feat, a proficiency, or Track.

Sabotage: A Genesis warrior gains a bonus to Knowledge (enginering) checks made to find weakness in any structure equal to the given number.

Mobility: At 2nd level the Genesis warrior gains Mobility as a bonus feat, even if they do not have the prerequisites.

Spell Resistance (Su): Starting at 3rd level, the Genesis warrior gains spell resistance equal to their class level plus 7.

Sneak Attack: Starting at 4th level, if a Genesis warrior can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from their attack, they can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The Genesis warrior’s attack deals extra damage any time their target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Genesis warrior flanks their target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 4th level, and it increases by 1d6 every three Genesis warrior levels thereafter. Should the Genesis warrior score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Genesis warrior can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. They cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty. A Genesis warrior can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies - undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Genesis warrior must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Genesis warrior cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach. Extra sneak attack damage from other sources stacks with the Genesis warrior’s sneak attack damage.

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 6th level, if a Genesis warrior makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if a Genesis warrior is wearing medium armor, light armor, or no armor. A helpless Genesis warrior does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 9th level, a Genesis warrior can react to danger before their senses would normally allow them to do so. They retain their Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if they are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, they still lose their Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Genesis warrior already has uncanny dodge from a different class they automatically gain improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Starting at 10th level, a Genesis warrior’s evasion ability improves. They still take no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth they take only half damage on a failed save. Improved evasion can be used only if a Genesis warrior is wearing medium armor, light armor, or no armor. A helpless Genesis warrior does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Spell Magnet (Su): Starting at 11th level, a Genesis warrior will, when a spell is cast, distort the target area. For every 10 feet the target area is from the caster, it moves 5 feet towards the Genesis warrior. This ability can be suppressed (or started) as a free action.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 13th level, a Genesis warrior can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Genesis warrior by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Genesis warrior levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

OK, feedback time!

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-23, 07:30 AM
I have a secret.. I see dead levels.

Seriously though, I am immensely annoyed by dead levels.

brian c
2007-06-23, 10:14 AM
So... what exactly is the concept behind this class? Why do they get spell resistance? The spell magnet ability is interesting, but again, why? Sorry, but I like characters to have good flavor text to help understand them.

(I don't like deadl levels either, but hey, it happens)

Lavidor
2007-06-24, 05:35 AM
Well, I dunno what to put in the dead levels. The idea behind the spell resistance and magnet is that until then, they can sabotage anything except magic, but after that, anything. Actually I should probably add some bonus to sabotaging, to reflect that.

Callix
2007-06-24, 05:54 AM
One problem... 2nd level is way too early for a melee to have a dead level. Give them something vaguely useful... Mobility as a bonus feat regardless of prereq's. They look like they run around in combat a lot. Mobility might help.

EvilElitest
2007-06-24, 10:27 AM
Ummmmm, what exactly it this class? Get me some fluff
from,
EE

Triaxx
2007-06-25, 06:00 AM
When in doubt, add Bonus Feats. They don't even have to make sense.

Lavidor
2007-06-25, 06:15 AM
Ok, I did a bit of flavor text, plus Mobility (nice idea). Still no name ideas? Aww.:smallfrown:

Matthew
2007-06-28, 08:17 PM
There's probably some rule I'm overlooking in some Book or other, but what exactly are the game effects of Sabotage?

Otherwise, this looks like a slightly more powerful than Rogue, Ranger or Scout.

Marek
2007-06-28, 09:19 PM
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Dunno why, but this really, and I mean REALLY, reminds me of V for Vendetta. Maybe it's the whole sabotage aspect of it...

Anyway, for a name, how about Uncanny Saboteur (though this one sounds more like a PrC...)