PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Using Limited Wish/Wish to cast Fabricate = 3,000/30,000 gp item?

Levism84
2016-04-19, 09:49 PM
The spell limited wish says "when a limited wish spell duplicates a spell with a material component that costs more than 1,000 gp, you must provide that component (in addition to the 1,500 gp diamond component for this spell)." The spell fabricate describes its material component as "the original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created." The section on crafting states you "pay 1/3 the items price [as] the raw material cost." Does that mean when limited wish duplicates fabricate, it can provide the material component for that spell (up to 1,000 gp, which could be used to craft an item with a market value of 3,000 gp) without having to have the original materials present?

For example, if a character was adventuring and suddenly needed X nonmagical item with a market value of 3,000 gp or less, could they use limited wish to duplicate a fabricate spell and make X nonmagical item? Could they use wish to duplicate a fabricate spell to create X nonmagical item with a market value of 30,000 gp or less?

What would the issues be with implementing this? Is this game breaking or immersion breaking? How would this impact the economy of the game or treasure acquisition for players?

glitterbaby
2016-04-20, 05:35 AM
Now I could be just not thinking right now but I don't see how this would be any different than regular Fabricate abuse. For Fabricate you also provide the 1/3 cost in raw materials and get the finished product from the spell assuming you make the craft check (trivially easy with Magecraft and other buffs).

To answer the question of how it'd impact the economy, we'd need more information about the setting. How many people are there capable of casting this spell? In a low magic world it'd have next to no impact but for the single person who can cast it (who would be fabulously wealthy). In a high magic setting there would be literally nobody that would be crafting without Fabricate. With that, we get closer and closer to the Tippyverse that I probably shouldn't even reference as I only really have a cursory knowledge. It's certainly not a wrong way to play, just be aware of it and be sure it's the direction you want the game world to take.

If I'm not mistaken, the Tippyverse is what occurs if we take 3.5 RAW and extrapolate it to its logical end. The world becomes a wasteland with only massive magically sustained cities existing (from the Wightocalypse?). Resetting traps of Create Food and Water for food and stuff like that. Someone who knows more should really correct me on that.