PDA

View Full Version : (3.x) looking for an aging spell/effect?

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-20, 12:12 AM
I am looking for a way to age magically faster but can't find anything. I knew in AD&D there was a psi-power for aging the enemy, but I can't find even that in 3.5.
Help me^^

edit:
more info on post #4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20687312&postcount=4)

edit2/update:

"Bestow Curse" seems like a legit way. The question now is, can it stack with itself with additional applications?

Aegis013
2016-04-20, 12:21 AM
If you can find a plane with the flowing time trait, such that a long time is 1 round on the material realm, Planar Bubble (SpC) might do the trick. Possible problem is it targets a creature, if you were hoping to affect an object, could be an obstacle.

Ortesk
2016-04-20, 12:24 AM
I know a lot that make you younger, but aging? In 2nd edition, haste would age you. But not now, may be able to convince DM that enough hastes would age you.

You could always wish to be older, or Jump to a plane than runs much faster than the material. Have the group wait a day, you come back say...20 years older?

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-20, 12:37 AM
Hm, I was looking just for a flavorful way to age directly & comfortable (the character doesn't want to wait & is to impatient.

Background:
It's a dragonwrought kobold, who is obsessed by the idea, that magically aging will help him become faster a big bad dragon. Sure it won't work as intended from him and will leave him just older (and with the mental stat boosts from D.kobold) without any size increase.
Since it is a low optimization party, I did start with the age of 9 and thought it would be a good idea to have a goal like this for him.

Now I am struggling to find a comfortable way for an impatient lil kobold who can't wait any longer. He deserves the power of a full fledged dragon "NOW"!! :smallbiggrin:

Well this should sum up the situation ^^

amdskitzo
2016-04-20, 01:01 AM
I can't remember which issue, but I believe there were Time/Chrono Dragons in a Dragon Magazine issue.. I think their breath weapon would age you by months, years, decades depending on age.

Ortesk
2016-04-20, 01:22 AM
I can't remember which issue, but I believe there were Time/Chrono Dragons in a Dragon Magazine issue.. I think their breath weapon would age you by months, years, decades depending on age.

359, page 32. Thing was pretty gnarly

OP, if you meet one it can age you 12 years/round. It is also a CR of 99, so bring shivering touch wands

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-20, 01:45 AM

OP, if you meet one it can age you 12 years/round. It is also a CR of 99, so bring shivering touch wands

CR99... yeah that will help my lil lvl5 kobold^^ I thought about something that I could complete in the next 10lvls. Well, seems I'm stuck to to some homebrew stuff with the DM, or I need the party wizard to discover an aging spell. Maybe that would be the best solution in the end.

PaucaTerrorem
2016-04-20, 01:52 AM

Or try to make a kinky friendship with it.

"Breathe on me, baby"

Ortesk
2016-04-20, 01:56 AM

"Breathe on me, baby"

OP is a kobold. Tell said dragon his real name is pun pun Jr. Said dragon will then be his slave and bathe him in his breath

PaucaTerrorem
2016-04-20, 02:00 AM
Has to make a Bluff check for that.

Chewychunga
2016-04-20, 02:59 AM
Lol or actually get your party to call you that and tell everyone that's your name
Few levels it will be true
No bluff check :P
Best ive personally found is wish, different plane, or to build age into your background story.. I was able to start my last char at old age due to being in jail(also made me a criminal but people don't like me anyways)

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-20, 03:36 AM
Best ive personally found is wish, different plane, or to build age into your background story.. I was able to start my last char at old age due to being in jail(also made me a criminal but people don't like me anyways)

wish and different plane will be to expensive & out of range for lvl 5 (~15). Background doesn't work here, cause my background is that I wanted to start young and have the goal to "age faster" as said.

Aren't there any cursed items maybe? Or spells that use your life-force as downside or something? It's a warlock kobold and I could boost UMD with the warlock ability for UMD if that would help to solve the problem?

edit:

"Breathe on me, baby"

well, maybe I should give that idea some more thoughts. I mean, Kobold where a slave race for dragons in ancient times. I could try to worship him maybe? And than ask kindly? Or just jump into the line when he has a fight with someone else? lols^^

Necroticplague
2016-04-20, 03:52 AM
Being put in stasis by a Phane ages you quickly, but calls out that it doesn't boost mental stats.

Actually, I'm not sure what you're going for is possible. Anything that magically ages you logically won't increase your mental ability scores (since magically being aged doesn't give you the experience that the higher mental scores is suppossed to represent). The only real work-around is to spend a good deal of time on a slow-time plane/demiplane.

emeraldstreak
2016-04-20, 04:28 AM
Wasn't there an aging spell in Vile Darkness?

Actually, I'm not sure what you're going for is possible. Anything that magically ages you logically won't increase your mental ability scores (since magically being aged doesn't give you the experience that the higher mental scores is suppossed to represent). The only real work-around is to spend a good deal of time on a slow-time plane/demiplane.

True.

ShurikVch
2016-04-20, 05:54 AM
I know two spells which can make your PC older, but you probably wouldn't want any of them:
Aging Touch (3rd level Necromancy, Dragon #350) gives you only drawbacks of aging (to which you are immune anyway) without any benefits, and bonus to disguise checks (to pretend to be someone else who's notably older)
Putrefaction (9th level Necromancy, Dragon #300) age you 1 age category per turn; after the the venerable age, you will die from old age, your body animated as Zombie, and soul turned into Ghost; also spell says creatures with non-standard aging are immune - which may include kobolds

Bronk
2016-04-20, 06:09 AM
I know two spells which can make your PC older, but you probably wouldn't want any of them:
Aging Touch (3rd level Necromancy, Dragon #350) gives you only drawbacks of aging (to which you are immune anyway) without any benefits, and bonus to disguise checks (to pretend to be someone else who's notably older)
Putrefaction (9th level Necromancy, Dragon #300) age you 1 age category per turn; after the the venerable age, you will die from old age, your body animated as Zombie, and soul turned into Ghost; also spell says creatures with non-standard aging are immune - which may include kobolds

You've also mentioned the 'Temporal Jolt' (Dragon 350) spell in a previous thread, along with possession by a Suel lich (Dragon 339).

In addition to those, BoVD lists a new use for the core spell 'Bestow Curse', to age someone to the next age category. That one comes up a lot with dragon and dragonwrought kobold builds because of their age based power and/or HD increases.

The rule for Time Dragons is that their breath weapons age you for 1 year per age category.

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-20, 01:30 PM
Wasn't there an aging spell in Vile Darkness?

Ty very much for the hint.

"Bestow Curse" alternative curse:

the target effectively ages, moving him/her to the beginning of the next age category.

The question now is, can it stack? but I guess not.

Actually, I'm not sure what you're going for is possible. Anything that magically ages you logically won't increase your mental ability scores (since magically being aged doesn't give you the experience that the higher mental scores is suppossed to represent).

why it shouldn't? I mean, 1st) its magic and 2nd) there are mental stat boosting magical effects/spells.
Sure, for full offensive usage, a version without the mental buffs is more handy, but as BovD shows, it is possible.

Coidzor
2016-04-20, 02:37 PM
I am looking for a way to age magically faster but can't find anything. I knew in AD&D there was a psi-power for aging the enemy, but I can't find even that in 3.5.
Help me^^

edit:
more info on post #4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20687312&postcount=4)

Bestow Curse.

Houserule or variant Haste in order to bring back the age one year aspect.