PDA

View Full Version : Spell blade

Chewychunga
2016-04-20, 02:14 AM
What is the best spell to choose for defensive uses? Was thinking maybe dispel magic? Or ?

Sword-Geass
2016-04-20, 03:20 PM
If you rely on buffs, Dispel Magic or preferably Greater Dispel Magic are the way to go, other than that it's not worth it, due to huge amount of spells that could be used against you.

Gildedragon
2016-04-20, 03:47 PM
Disjunction is a good one to have; any spell that is the BBEG's signature.

Hiro Quester
2016-04-20, 04:59 PM
My character has a ring of blinking, and relies on a lot of buff spells. So the bad guys throw Dimensional Anchor at me a lot (prevents teleportation, ethereal, etc). I would protect against that or GDM.

EDIT: the ability of spell blade to redirect a spell probably makes greater Dispel Magic a good option. There is usually a good target for redirecting that spell at an enemy.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-20, 05:00 PM
Disjunction is a good one to haveActually, it's not. Singularly targeted effects only, and disjunction is AoE.

Wish, miracle, and reality revision can prevent you from being teleported against your will, even if nothing else can teleport you. Dispel magic, greater dispel magic, dispel psionics, chain dispel, reaving dispel, and slashing dispel are all good, to prevent yourself from being target-dispelled. Harm is good, because that's a real downer. The various shadow spells (conjuration, evocation, etc), along with miracle, et al, can protect against lots of different effects.

Also, since you can re-target something that targets you, try some self-only buffs. I like divine might, alter self, compression, expansion, contingency, metamorphosis, schism, shapechange, true strike, etc, can affect others in ways you normally couldn't.

And then we have stuff like antimagic/null psionics field, Tenser's transformation, and transcend mortality, which are self-only, but they are seriously nasty effects to foist off on someone else. And get this -- there's no way to protect against them without having specific defense readied ahead of time. No SR, no save, no nothin'.

Note that you can have multiple spell blades simultaneously, so you're not stuck with just one.

Hiro Quester
2016-04-20, 05:03 PM
Note that you can have multiple spell blades simultaneously, so you're not stuck with just one.

It protects the wielder of a spell blade weapon. So you have to be wielding the weapon for it to protect you. So that won't help unless you TWF a lot.

MisterKaws
2016-04-20, 05:06 PM
Actually, it's not. Singularly targeted effects only, and disjunction is AoE.

Legacy Champion Spellwarp Sniper?

Gildedragon
2016-04-20, 05:35 PM
It protects the wielder of a spell blade weapon. So you have to be wielding the weapon for it to protect you. So that won't help unless you TWF a lot.

Gauntlet on each hand; armor spikes; poison rings; braidblade; bootblade; and then your actual weapon.

Aquillion
2016-04-20, 05:40 PM
Gauntlet on each hand; armor spikes; poison rings; braidblade; bootblade; and then your actual weapon.I am trying to picture what that character would look like (and imagining all the Spell "Blades" having glowing particle effects like in an MMoRPG) and can't stop laughing. You'd look like a Christmas tree made by Rob Liefeld.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-20, 05:45 PM
Gauntlet on each hand; armor spikes; poison rings; braidblade; bootblade; and then your actual weapon.Sleeve blades, knee blades, horned helm, combat cloak, all three sides of an elvencraft longbow, bow blade, a close combat blade on all of them, hand of glory, and a poison ring on all of the above via the ringsword enhancement.

And that's not including the extra blades if you add on an extra pair of arms via the warforged mighty arms graft.

MisterKaws
2016-04-20, 06:16 PM
Sleeve blades, knee blades, horned helm, combat cloak, all three sides of an elvencraft longbow, bow blade, a close combat blade on all of them, hand of glory, and a poison ring on all of the above via the ringsword enhancement.

And that's not including the extra blades if you add on an extra pair of arms via the warforged mighty arms graft.

Mighty Arms is a replacement. Still LOL'd though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-20, 06:34 PM
Mighty Arms is a replacement. Still LOL'd though.Doesn't say that anywhere. I've looked.

Sword-Geass
2016-04-20, 06:39 PM
I am trying to picture what that character would look like (and imagining all the Spell "Blades" having glowing particle effects like in an MMoRPG) and can't stop laughing. You'd look like a Christmas tree made by Rob Liefeld.

Kind off like a warshaper, but with knifes instead of tentacles... seems legit.

Knaight
2016-04-20, 07:17 PM
I am trying to picture what that character would look like (and imagining all the Spell "Blades" having glowing particle effects like in an MMoRPG) and can't stop laughing. You'd look like a Christmas tree made by Rob Liefeld.

I don't know. To properly depict that character, you'd have to draw feet. I'm not entirely sure Liefeld can do that.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-20, 07:23 PM
I don't know. To properly depict that character, you'd have to draw feet. I'm not entirely sure Liefeld can do that.Or legs. Or waists. or arms. Or chests. Or...well, bodies in general.

You could always be an invisible stalker, since you can't actually see them, so they can't be drawn.

Knaight
2016-04-20, 09:13 PM
Or legs. Or waists. or arms. Or chests. Or...well, bodies in general.

You could always be an invisible stalker, since you can't actually see them, so they can't be drawn.

Good point. Let me revise my statement: To properly depict that character, you'd have to try to draw feet. I'm not entirely sure Liefeld can do that. Other things he at least tries to draw, although actual success is rare and fleeting.

MisterKaws
2016-04-21, 09:16 AM
Doesn't say that anywhere. I've looked.

As a rule of thumb, the new-gen grafts don't give new body parts, and that's also why there can't be more than one of each part.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-21, 09:22 AM
As a rule of thumb, the new-gen grafts don't give new body parts, and that's also why there can't be more than one of each part.Source on that?

Chewychunga
2016-04-21, 12:20 PM
so it seems like dispell (or varation) is best for it to protect if i use buffs? what about on a martial char? assuming im only using like 2 max (im trying to be nice to DM Books hurt)

Gildedragon
2016-04-21, 12:30 PM
Protection against (greater/reaving) dispells is handy on a martial character; you're probably lit up with buffs
Disintegrate is a good thing to protect against especially if you got riverine gear

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-21, 12:49 PM
Disintegrate is a good thing to protect against especially if you got riverine gearOr if you're undead. When you don't have a Con score, those Fort saves are killer. Literally.

Hiro Quester
2016-04-21, 12:52 PM
If you typically don't have many buff spells running, then you need to think about what attacks would be most devastating and likely, and protect against those.

Martial types often don't have great will saves, so are particularly vulnerable to dominate person. And if you are dominated, that can be really bad for the rest of your party. If you don't have a continuous item of protection from evil (or whatever alignment) (and on this see above comments about dispel magic!) this might be something to consider for your spell blade.

But which non-dispel spells you want to become immune to will often depend on the kinds of enemies you typically face. Do you have a recurring BBEG who often uses a similar tactic? (e.g. my previous Bard character was turned to stone 4 times--it became a bit of a running joke. I eventually had a contingency spell set up to cover that situation.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-21, 01:05 PM
I'd suggest antimagic ray, but that doesn't come up too often.

Still, if you're putting together a battery of protections, might as well add this one to the list.

Chewychunga
2016-04-22, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions sounds like I'm gonna go with a dispel then greater dispell and disintegration at higher levels (using item familiar Xbow) so I want to be protected