PDA

View Full Version : Intresting Oracle NPC (Players of The price of Immortality please stay out)

dantiesilva
2016-04-20, 02:42 AM
Hello fellow playgrounders and thank you for taking time out of your busy days to take a look at this and help a fellow gamer/DM out. At the moment I am DMing a game in which the characters are trying to catch a thief. However at the moment the group is split into two groups, those who are native to the cult like village of Furtifwood, and the group that had letters sent to them asking them to come to the village to help an important NPC. This thread is in regards to the second group who is at the moment traversing the forest to get to the village.

In the game, which starts at level one, I made it that the woods are haunted by an ancient evil and the villagers refuse to go out during a full moon because of it, even traders stop coming at this time because they know the villager's will not open their gates for anyone. The ancient evil is lycanthrope's of course, however at early levels it will mostly be bandits and wild animals (wolves mostly) with perhaps a fey or two thrown into the mix. On the random generation table I made for my players I rolled that they meet a potential helpful NPC.

Wanting to stay with the theme of the game, while slowly easing them into the sense of danger at night in the woods I decided to use an Oracle from pathfinder who is an exile of sorts from the civilized world, as well as the world of the lycanthropes due to her curse (wolf scared face). This will allow the players to learn about the lycanthropes in the woods, from a person who was born of them but doesn't suffer the curse, as she is in a deformed state of the hybrid form already.

The players have just ran into her outside her cottage where she had her hood covering her entire face so they have not yet seen that she is deformed, however when she fled into her cottage she dropped a piece of parchment with a carcole drawing of them on it (to show that she can see the future of sorts like an oracle. A mild hint at the players.) Before the players meet her they heard her singing and gathering water from a stream close to her home, which seems to be the only place the constant fog that covers the entire ground seems not to go. (I am thinking like the old fey stories where when you slept in a place sacred to the fey that was covered in mist it induced a deep sleep which if you didn't wake up from you would eventually die.)

I have already chosen feats and such for this NPC should a fight break out, which I really hope it does not. What I am asking for help with is fleshing out this unique NPC so that the characters feel fear as well as a sense of mystery about her, as if she knows more than she is telling to them but they can not figure out what. So far I have only used Celtic music with her talking, she has not spoken a single word since than and the players have not entered her hut yet. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

P.S. Bonus points for riddles regarding the moon or poems that speak of the moon as if she were a mother who brings the dead into her warm embrace as if welcoming them home.