PDA

View Full Version : Power Attack with more than two hands

SnugUndies
2016-04-20, 03:23 AM
We all know that using Power Attack lets you trade attack bonus for damage bonus at a 1-to-1 ratio with a one-handed weapon, or a 1-to-2 ratio with a two-handed weapon. The latter is part of what makes it such a powerful and ubiquitous feat.

The thing is, what happens if you're using more than two hands? Savage Species (yes, yes, I know. They still printed it,) has rules for using custom-made weapons for characters with three or more limbs holding it. It mentions that you get an extra half-strength-modifier in damage for each hand past the first holding such a weapon. However, should we extrapolate how said items interact with Power Attack? Would a four-handed greatsword deal four more points of damage for each point reduced from your attack roll?

Waazraath
2016-04-20, 06:30 AM
We all know that using Power Attack lets you trade attack bonus for damage bonus at a 1-to-1 ratio with a one-handed weapon, or a 1-to-2 ratio with a two-handed weapon. The latter is part of what makes it such a powerful and ubiquitous feat.

The thing is, what happens if you're using more than two hands? Savage Species (yes, yes, I know. They still printed it,) has rules for using custom-made weapons for characters with three or more limbs holding it. It mentions that you get an extra half-strength-modifier in damage for each hand past the first holding such a weapon. However, should we extrapolate how said items interact with Power Attack? Would a four-handed greatsword deal four more points of damage for each point reduced from your attack roll?

I wouldn't do this. From a balance point of view, it's not needed, power attack is strong enough as it is, and as far as martials lack something, it's not more damage (cause they can do plenty), but more utility. From a RAW perspective I wouldn't do it either, since the rules doesn't say this works. There are other abilities (mainly class features) that add another 1/2 str bonus (powerful grip), but they neither say they interact with power attack by making it stronger.

Willie the Duck
2016-04-20, 07:24 AM
Well obviously the rules don't put a lot of time into discussing the concept of having more than 2 arms, so you'll have to invent an answer to all contingencies they didn't think of. Given that SS came out before 3.5, there's no way they could have put a contingency in the description to cover this scenario (power attack in 3.0 did not increase in output for two handed weapons).

OP, what does Savage Species say about attacks with one-handed weapons in these extra limbs? Do they do weapon damage + str mod, or weapon damage + 1/2 str mod? If it's 1*str, I'd say give a +1 to the Power attack damage mod (pts per +1 hit sacrificed) per extra limb. If it's 1/2 str mod, I'd say they don't contribute, and just be happy with the high damage your 4H sword inflicts. This directly contradicts the initial system (where giving up your 1/2 str mod off-hand attack increases your power attack mod by 1), but I'd use it as a hedge against abuse.

D&D (and most RPGs in general) have always had really brief rules for things like extra limbs or extra heads (reasonable, given how often it comes up). So the rules for them (and how it should interact with other rules) always seem to end up vague.

Necroticplague
2016-04-20, 08:38 AM
Having more than two hands doesn't make your power attacks more potent, nor should it.

Seffbasilisk
2016-04-20, 09:38 AM
More hands on doesn't increase the accuracy of weapon swings, all it would do is allow you to bring more of your physical might (read strength modifier) to bear. As Power Attack is about trading accuracy for damage, unless you're getting more accuracy...how would it help?

If you really want more power attack, try more Shock Trooper, more Frenzied Beserker. Those guys are all about swinging for the fences.

SnugUndies
2016-04-20, 09:26 PM
Well, I can agree that the book doesn't distinctly say that more hands means more return on your power attack, but it is rather implied by the fact that more hands means a greater multiplication of your strength modifier to damage.

That said, I can also agree that Power Attack doesn't really need more help to be worthwhile. Conversely, though, multiarmed races are generally going to be behind anyway due to RHD and/or LA. Even a gish with Girallon Arms is falling behind on the optimization train by virtue of being a gish... not that that fact is bad, either.

What a mess! Ultimately I am convinced that the 1-for-2 ratio is strong enough.