PDA

View Full Version : 5E Barbarian class feature swap

Jgosse
2016-04-20, 07:57 AM
If I gave up both my medium and light Armour proficiency would that be worth a weapon style?

Final Hyena
2016-04-20, 08:59 AM
It might be reasonable if you got the fighting style somewhere in the 3-5 levels as the armour you need to be better than your con+dex is a bit expensive.

As a DM I would say no, because it comes across as changing a class to min max. That opens a can of worms with players making little tweaks here and there to make their characters stronger.

In the past I've redesigned classes because my players wanted to play a certain style and the class/archetype that did it was terrible. Perhaps you should tell us what you're trying to accomplish by giving a barbarian a style, are you trying to make a dual wielding barbarian?

Jgosse
2016-04-20, 11:05 AM
It might be reasonable if you got the fighting style somewhere in the 3-5 levels as the armour you need to be better than your con+dex is a bit expensive.

As a DM I would say no, because it comes across as changing a class to min max. That opens a can of worms with players making little tweaks here and there to make their characters stronger.

In the past I've redesigned classes because my players wanted to play a certain style and the class/archetype that did it was terrible. Perhaps you should tell us what you're trying to accomplish by giving a barbarian a style, are you trying to make a dual wielding barbarian?

I am looking to give him great weapon fighting, the Character will actually be using all versatile weapons(and all his weapons double as tools) but only two handing while raging and only raging situationaly. he will not rage every time there is combat or even against big bads he will rage only if something makes him mad. He is a reluctant fighter but when he gets mad he hulks out and I am trying to play that up as much as possible. The fact he is a reluctant fighter makes me not want to dip into the fighter class for the weapon style.

Final Hyena
2016-04-20, 11:57 AM
This is already a viable build with the base class.

Never the less if you have your eyes set on no armour great weapon fighting I would recommend getting rid of those armour proficiencies and give great weapon fighting at roughly level 3.

Edit; perhaps get rid of one of those level 2 features.