PDA

View Full Version : Don't Rest Your Head

Thrawn4
2016-04-20, 09:47 AM
... is an urban fantasy (horror) RPG where the players play are insomniacs who happen to slip into the city awake where nightmares hunt them while they try to cope. The mechanics are geared towards fluff rather than crunch and the system is not geared towards long-term campaigns.

I bought it. Looks great. But I would like to discuss some things.

1. Has anyone actually played it yet?
2. Suppose the players won a skill check against a major nightmare... it would be rather undramatic if they just shot one of the moving forces like that. I guess they should get something like a second chance.
3. At the market you can sell your memories and buy a lot of other stuff (it's a city that might consist of dreams, so anything is possible). However, I am looking for some neat ideas that fit the theme and are more obscure than a scoll of fireball. Any ideas?

I was considering
- Coffee beans coated in chocolate (prevents a character from crashing during the next three hours)
- Morning light candle (once lit the light shines through every obstacle but can only be seen by the people that were named when the candle was lit)
- Bag of lost and found (a character may grab inside and think of an item that he or she once lost and find it there)
- Seraphim's honey (adds one coin of hope)
- Bottle of Bile (probably useless)
- Peppermint gum (oh, it burns, but you may also pass through a wall while you struggle for breath. also, fresh breath)
- Hourglas of Invincibility (grants invincibility. 5 seconds left)

Eisenheim
2016-04-20, 04:34 PM
I've played a little. It takes a bit of time to grok, but it's awesome.

The only way players could 'take out' a major nightmare is if the scene is set up to make it possible. GM and players agree/negotiate the stakes/potential outcomes before a role, and there's no reason to suppose a player win looks like destroying the enemy. Against something real bad, it probably just means getting away. Remember you're really rolling against the scene, rather than directly against the monsters.

Thrawn4
2016-04-26, 03:44 AM
The only way players could 'take out' a major nightmare is if the scene is set up to make it possible. GM and players agree/negotiate the stakes/potential outcomes before a role, and there's no reason to suppose a player win looks like destroying the enemy. Against something real bad, it probably just means getting away.

Makes sense, especially considerint the atmosphere.

Eisenheim
2016-04-26, 06:11 AM
Also remember that, if they're rolling enough dice to really go toe to toe with one of the big 10+ nightmares, the PCs are in real danger every roll, either a crash, or a snap or just pain pushing them over the edge.