PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Arcane Trickster Spellcasting

JeenLeen
2016-04-20, 10:25 AM
I recently reached level 3 as rogue and have chosen the Arcane Trickster path.

Since I have the wizard spell list, I think I can count as a wizard for purposes like attuning to a staff. (In particular, a Staff of Defense.) At least, that's how I read the DMG. Is that correct?

Also, can I use the staff as a spellcasting focus or would I need to use a component pouch for material components?
If I can use the staff as a spellcasting focus, would the hand holding it count as free for the purposes of somatic components?

Last, any suggestions for good level 1 spells that do not require saves or attack rolls? My Int ability is 9, so rolls/save DC are not good. I'm leaning towards Disguise Self, Silent Image, and either Feather Fall or Fog Cloud. The staff gives me Mage Armor (better than light armor) and Shield.

Saggo
2016-04-20, 10:34 AM
Spellcasting Focus is a class feature, not a general rule of magic. Arcane Trickster and similarly Eldritch Knight can't use a focus.

Some good spell picks would be Absorb Elements, Find Familiar, Sleep, and interestingly enough Magic Missile (it auto-hits). Most of those would be your free spell pick, though.

Gorthano
2016-04-20, 10:55 AM
Last, any suggestions for good level 1 spells that do not require saves or attack rolls? My Int ability is 9, so rolls/save DC are not good.

Find Familiar for a pet Owl named Mortimer. Flyby help action, dark-vision, advantage on sight and hearing, and flight make for a great combat advantage buddy, scout, and overnight alarm system.

You aren't a wizard but you are a spellcaster. I don't know what this staff requires but if it requires a specific class that you are not, then you don't qualify. Generally, you can attune to most wands but not to most staves, if my memory serves.

JeenLeen
2016-04-20, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately, the GM has houseruled a Wisdom save for Sleep and ruled that familiars cannot help to give advantage. We also have a warlock with Pact of the Chain and Sleep, so he has the familiar and Sleep covered.

I'll look into Absorb Elements. That sounds less situational than what I was looking at.

Specter
2016-04-20, 11:05 AM
1) No, you can't attune to wizard items. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/24/arcane-trickster-attunement/

2) No, you can't use a focus.

3) Take Shield if you want extra survivability, or Find Familiar if you want scouting/advantage on attacks. The rest seems suboptimal to me. Identify might also be good if you're the explorer type.