PDA

View Full Version : [spoiler kinda] oversight or overthought?

TheGrimace
2007-06-23, 09:49 AM
I totally love the theory that Belkar and Roy are going to end up together in a bag of holding... and I love thinking of the comments Belkar will make when he's done smiting evil (bumping uglies) with a dead body.

But, this is my question. Say, for the sake of arguement, that a MoJ would go off due to extra-dimensional space (which I dont' think it would). Now, wouldn't either Belkar or Roy have to go into the bag first? Even if the intention was for them both to be in it. One would have to go first, that would set the MoJ off.

Am I crazy?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-23, 09:54 AM
I totally love the theory that Belkar and Roy are going to end up together in a bag of holding... and I love thinking of the comments Belkar will make when he's done smiting evil (bumping uglies) with a dead body.

But, this is my question. Say, for the sake of arguement, that a MoJ would go off due to extra-dimensional space (which I dont' think it would). Now, wouldn't either Belkar or Roy have to go into the bag first? Even if the intention was for them both to be in it. One would have to go first, that would set the MoJ off.

Am I crazy?

Yes.

(Sorry, that was too easy. But you did lob it right over the plate! :smallbiggrin: )

Belkar will probably drag Roy into the bag, meaning that both will enter the bag at the same time. Haley folds the bag up, and off she goes...

Of course that is assuming everything goes smoothly, and according to plan. Never gonna see that happen in this webcomic!

kirbsys
2007-06-23, 09:56 AM
Were I playing my play would be kill Belkar, lob him in first. Get to Roy lob him in. Ress both of them. Not out of evil or anything, but you can ress them both anyways, so why not?

Dalenthas
2007-06-23, 10:17 AM
Its an extra 5000gp to do it that way, and Haley wouldn't give up that kind of money just for a slightly more convienient (and sadistic) solution.
Remember, Haley's both Good and Greedy, so she's not going to off her teamates for a slightly easier time now.

lord_khaine
2007-06-23, 10:18 AM
ehh because losing a lv to dying sucks?

the reason why putting both belkar and roy in the bag isnt that good a idea, is that there isnt that much air inside a bag.

Lira
2007-06-23, 10:19 AM
But when the curse is activated, all that happens is Belkar gets sicker and sicker until he's incapable of hurting anyone. So why not shove Roy in the bag first and then Belkar can hop in shortly afterwards and there won't be enough time for Belkar to get really sick before he's back with Roy?

Shatteredtower
2007-06-23, 10:25 AM
the reason why putting both belkar and roy in the bag isnt that good a idea, is that there isnt that much air inside a bag.This why you stop for a break every nine minutes, letting Belkar out to stretch his legs while you let the bag... air out. :smallwink:

yoshi927
2007-06-23, 10:26 AM
There is no air in a bag of holding. Belkar would die. Do you people understand that? :smallbiggrin:
It's not worth having to ressurect Belkar too just to be able to carry them a bit more easily.

yoshi927
2007-06-23, 10:29 AM
Were I playing my play would be kill Belkar, lob him in first. Get to Roy lob him in. Ress both of them. Not out of evil or anything, but you can ress them both anyways, so why not?
If they kill Belkar first, there's actually no point to taking him. The big problem with that, though, is that it would cost double the money to ressurect them both.

TheGrimace
2007-06-23, 10:30 AM
I get really dissapointed in the people who haven't yet realized that there IS IN FACT AIR IN A BAG OF HOLDING.

Enough, in fact, for a medium sized character to breathe for 10 minutes
I think Belkar could last longer
(twice or four times as long)

If you set off a mark of justice do you get a window of amnesty? or do you just get sicker and sicker until a break enchantment spell?

nooblade
2007-06-23, 10:31 AM
Why not just have Belkar pop into the bag if he's getting to sick and needs it? He can hold his breath until the sickness goes away. Maybe the spell's description says it wouldn't work though. He might have to stay in there for significant amounts of time.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-23, 10:52 AM
I get really dissapointed in the people who haven't yet realized that there IS IN FACT AIR IN A BAG OF HOLDING.You are absolutely right. And every time you open the bag, you renew that 10 minute supply. Your DM might rule that it needs a little bit of time to refresh that supply of breathable air, but it's not a one-use supply.

I think Belkar could last longer (twice or four times as long)Twice as long, actually -- though Belkar can probably hold his breath for a decent amount of time after that, since he's a ranger (bonus Endurance feat) and probably has a decent Constitution (what with having put so few points into at least Wisdom and Charisma, with Intelligence a possibility as well).

If you set off a mark of justice do you get a window of amnesty? or do you just get sicker and sicker until a break enchantment spell?A mark of justice works like bestow curse when triggered, so it's either on or off. Curiously, the whole thing about getting sicker and sicker makes it sound more like geas/quest, or even lesser geas, both of which leave the recipient a surprising amount of wriggle room to defy their instructions. (Defy orders and get sick on day one, resume program and get better by the end of day two, go back to trying to buck the system on day three. Save or not save, anyone with fast healing or access to a cleric finds lesser geas more trouble than the higher level geas/quest.)

Wyvern_55
2007-06-23, 11:28 AM
I don't believe Belkar intends on setting foot in that bag of holding, he implies in comic 468 that he and Haley should carry Roy back.

Plus I'd rather you didn't put him in the bag of holding. With my luck, shoving him in an extradimensional space like that will count as him being in another plane of existance, and the stupid curse will go off anyway. Together we're more than strong enough to carry him back.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-23, 11:44 AM
Correct. The risk of them being separated for even an instant is probably too great for Belkar's sake.

Of course, if he never lets go of Roy once while putting them both in the bag, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

yoshi927
2007-06-23, 11:45 AM
I get really dissapointed in the people who haven't yet realized that there IS IN FACT AIR IN A BAG OF HOLDING.

Enough, in fact, for a medium sized character to breathe for 10 minutes
I think Belkar could last longer
(twice or four times as long)

If you set off a mark of justice do you get a window of amnesty? or do you just get sicker and sicker until a break enchantment spell?
Is there? I didn't think so... let me drag out a DM handbook. (*5 mins later*)

What do you know, there is 10 minutes of air! Sorry. Although, I don't think Belkar could last longer, because the description says that a living creature can last for ten minutes, with no size specifications.

the mysterian
2007-06-23, 11:52 AM
haley can always open the bag every ten minutes

theinsulabot
2007-06-23, 12:15 PM
or...you know...they could just CARRY roy between the two of em

yoshi927
2007-06-23, 12:19 PM
or...you know...they could just CARRY roy between the two of emNo way. That would be too complicated. :smallbiggrin:

teratorn
2007-06-23, 12:51 PM
haley can always open the bag every ten minutes

But can Belkar trust her to do that? Also, can Haley trust Belkar not to get bored and start stabbing things, rupturing the bag and leading to treasure, Roy's corpse, and Belkar being dumped into random dimension? Key word here is treasure.

Demented
2007-06-23, 04:29 PM
I pretty much stopped at treasure (surely, Haley wouldn't want a dead body stuffed in the same bag as her gleaming treasure?) and momentarily read that Belkar would find treasure by being dropped in a random dimension...

teratorn
2007-06-23, 04:49 PM
I pretty much stopped at treasure (surely, Haley wouldn't want a dead body stuffed in the same bag as her gleaming treasure?)
The dead body would be ok (corpses don't steal), but Belkar???? Touching the thing she values the most?