PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Living Spells

Draconium
2016-04-20, 11:36 AM
So, yesterday, I was a DM for a session, and was rolling up random monsters for the group to encounter in the dungeon. While I was doing that, I decided to make one of the monsters a fairly low-level Living Spell. Having never used it before, I thought it was a fun enemy - my players defeated it without too much trouble, of course, but I still found it an interesting idea.

Anyways, I've decided to ask around a bit, and see who else has used living spells. If you have, and you've created your own, what kinds of things have you created that were a unique or interesting fight? Please, share your stories!

erok0809
2016-04-20, 11:42 AM
I've used Glitterfires before, which are pretty fun, with Glitterdust and Fireball effects. I've never made my own though. I should probably do that, that sounds like it could be a good time if I found the right spell.

2016-04-20, 12:01 PM
If you're ever playing around 14th lvl, and you've been severely ticking off the DM with your shenanigans, and the boss monster is a lone Ooze...I suggest retreating until youknkw what you're dealing with. It only takes one bad encounter to learn the lesson: picking a fight with a Living Disjunction is a bitch and a half.

Necroticplague
2016-04-20, 12:12 PM
Living Reality Maelstroms: Proving that sometimes, the only appropriate response is to debuff yourself. Only one the end the encounter on the same plane they started was the one who realized their scrolls of Dimensional Anchor would work on themselves and prevent what it was doing.

ATHATH
2016-04-20, 12:16 PM
There's a class that summons Living Spells, IIRC.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-20, 12:26 PM
A living Irresistible Dance coupled with a few living Hideous Laughter's can make for a comedic encounter.

erok0809
2016-04-20, 12:50 PM
I just decided to make one I'm calling Creeping Death: Enervation, Slow, and Deep Slumber. It slows you down, puts you to sleep, and then enervates you until you die from negative levels. I'm definitely going to have to make more living spells and use them in like an ooze-based campaign of some kind.

dysprosium
2016-04-20, 01:45 PM
There's a class that summons Living Spells, IIRC.

That would be the Spell Sovereign from Dragon 357. It is a class that I have been itching to use in a game . . .

Belzyk
2016-04-20, 03:41 PM
Id love to have a living anti magic field xD

BearonVonMu
2016-04-20, 07:28 PM
Weird how this thread pops up right after I used one for the first time.
Blade barrier becomes much nastier when it chases you apparently.
I know: how mundane to simply throw damage at the party when there are so many fun spell effects to pick from. It tickled my fancy though, especially when they had to contend with an advanced mind flayer at the same time.

DrMotives
2016-04-20, 07:57 PM
Someone made a thread about living psionic powers a while back here, which seemed both interesting and fairly straightforward to make. But now I wonder about the possibility of a living martial maneuver. Base weapon damage would be the ooze's slam, but would a living counter respond to every melee attack against it? It would probably make more sense to describe it as a swarm of flying blades, but that'd just be the fluff.

Belzyk
2016-04-20, 08:01 PM
Someone made a thread about living psionic powers a while back here, which seemed both interesting and fairly straightforward to make. But now I wonder about the possibility of a living martial maneuver. Base weapon damage would be the ooze's slam, but would a living counter respond to every melee attack against it? It would probably make more sense to describe it as a swarm of flying blades, but that'd just be the fluff.

OMG that sounds amazing. XD

Belzyk
2016-04-20, 08:05 PM
How would a Living Anti Magic Field

Necroticplague
2016-04-20, 08:14 PM
How would a Living Anti Magic Field

Well, since AMF is an area spell, it is a valid target. It's slam wouldn't do much, since that's instaneous in nature (except for, of course, any magical attempts to reduce damage wouldn't work, since you're in an AMF at the time). However, it's Engulf would mean anyone it swallows up is essentially in an AMF, thus making escape more difficult. Of course, since it's range isn't Short, Medium, or Long, it's speed would be undefined.

Draconium
2016-04-20, 08:30 PM
Well, since AMF is an area spell, it is a valid target. It's slam wouldn't do much, since that's instaneous in nature (except for, of course, any magical attempts to reduce damage wouldn't work, since you're in an AMF at the time). However, it's Engulf would mean anyone it swallows up is essentially in an AMF, thus making escape more difficult. Of course, since it's range isn't Short, Medium, or Long, it's speed would be undefined.

I believe a spell with a range other then Close, Medium, or Long that becomes a Living Spell just has a speed of 20 feet, IIRC.

Necroticplague
2016-04-20, 08:57 PM
I believe a spell with a range other then Close, Medium, or Long that becomes a Living Spell just has a speed of 20 feet, IIRC.

*facepalm* You're right, I missed that all-important line.