PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [WIP/Needs Fixing] 5e Necromancer Base Class and Undeath Domain (Needs balancing)

Giegue
2016-04-20, 02:51 PM
Hello. Most of you likely don't remember me. I was a very old member who only was around here for a short while, but I found my old account details and remembered how helpful you where all with homebrew so here I am, back again for your help. I have a base class and Cleric Domain I've been working on that I am having a headache trying to balance out (I am horrible at actually balancing things for 5e, sighs) and I'd like your help! Rather than post the whole class, I'll link to a google doc with it below. If anybody could help me fix/balance this class I'd be grateful!

5e Necromancer (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hUJftFx3z6XsprO8uz1rEr_-GapWhSEmxL01XVDy7TY/edit?usp=sharing)

Undeath Cleric Domain (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sSCsmCz-naLchH2JiDx4Euk6jowOe3kA3ijgi_qNPqU/edit?usp=sharing)

All help and ideas would be most appreciated!

Final Hyena
2016-04-20, 03:22 PM
Spells known table states 2 at level 1
Spells known feature details 4 at level 1

This seems more based around the bard style with it's few cantrips so I'm guessing it's supposed to be 4.

entomb
command it to attack with a second bonus action

I might be wrong, but I didn't know you could get a second bonus action with your action. If this is the case perhaps just re write it to using an action or bonus action to command a single move/action from the husk (if that made sense).

being able to summon endless husks seems a bit too much, it will also result in Necromancers constantly summoning husks like those clerics who guidance all the time, except here there is a much bigger benefit from it.

I haven't looked too much into the balance of the husks, one thing that strikes me is that you make one at a time yet can get up to 9. Maybe it would make more sense for that number to be the maximum summoned per long rest?

Edit; I just saw your cleric domain, are you aware of the DMG cleric domain?

Edit 2; Macabre Focus in the tables become Grim masteries in the features.

Giegue
2016-04-20, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'm still fixing the grammar. Before I even begin to look at grammar/spelling error though I want to actually get the mechanics working. Grammar/spelling is the least of my worries when compared to actual mechanics, here. I will address that when the time comes. Also, the spells known is sorcerer for a reason; it was meant as a balancing factor for having a constant supply of pets in the husks. The max husks is not how many per-day but how many you get to control at any time. The class was made to have a constant "pet(s) it could summon....perhaps making it a concentration feature would make it more balanced? Or maybe just make it work like a summoning spell that can summon undead based on CR X times/long rest?

EDIT: I changed the way the husks worked. They are now cha-mod per short/long rest and have no hard control cap but instead are limited in number by your duration and use/short rest limit...none of them are lasting past a short rest so at max your getting five. In addition, the slot recovery mechanic now has a limit baked in to prevent getting multiple 5th level slots with lots of short rests. Not sure if that helps balance it some, though, so I'd like opinions!

EDIT: realized the above edit was WAY too broken, but was on mobile so I could not fix it. Now I m off mobile, and dded back a hard control cap that is in-line with the per-rest use limit.