PDA

View Full Version : Need a item to boost my preform skill.

Nosta
2016-04-20, 03:54 PM
I have 31000 gp and need a way to boost my preform dance skill. My character is trying to get in good with a npc that could be very helpful to my group as a whole. she wants my pc to be in a play with her but I really want to blow her and the audience away. I can get between 28-36 relatively easy.

but I like a nice boost to my result.

2016-04-20, 03:57 PM
Well, with just your minimum of +28, you can get the "Extraordinary Performance" level of success on anything but a nat 1, which is pretty impressive. To know the ways we can help you pump up your Perform bonus, though, we'll need to know what methods your'e currently using, so we can (maybe) skip the obvious suggestions.

OldTrees1
2016-04-20, 03:58 PM
Masterwork tools are 50gp and give a +2 bonus.

Beyond that, Dance is a rare enough skill that the only support for it is with custom magic items(guidelines suggest cost in gp = 100*bonus^2)

Belzyk
2016-04-20, 03:58 PM
I have 31000 gp and need a way to boost my preform dance skill. My character is trying to get in good with a npc that could be very helpful to my group as a whole. she wants my pc to be in a play with her but I really want to blow her and the audience away. I can get between 28-36 relatively easy.

but I like a nice boost to my result.

There is a item in dmg that is a untyped competence bonus to a skill. Talk to your dm see if it's allowed to be used it will give a +10 an ulet of twerking.

2016-04-20, 04:00 PM
There is a item in dmg that is a untyped competence bonus to a skill. Talk to your dm see if it's allowed to be used it will give a +10 an ulet of twerking.

Only issue with this idea is that Competence is a type of bonus, it's not untyped, so you couldn't use that with another Competence bonus.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-20, 04:28 PM
A scroll of guidance of the avatar costs 150 gp, and, if properly UMD'd, provides a +20 competence bonus. It only lasts a minute, though. Getting a persisted version costs a lot more (if normally persisted), at 3000 gp, but still pretty good. Divinely persisted scrolls are really, really cheap for what they do, and thus really, really cheesy.

I would personally also award a circumstance bonus if you include inconventional movement (levitation, flight) in your performance, provided you have experience with that (and the audience isn't used to it yet). And perhaps Tumble can be relevant, for a synergy bonus. Both of those are essentially DM's gifts, though, not really practical.

Hiro Quester
2016-04-20, 04:56 PM
Slippers of Battledancing might be good for a character like yours to own, for this dance and just generally. They are designed for a character with at least 5 ranks in perform (dance).

The slippers give +2 insight bonus to initiative (if you move your full speed), +10 enhancement land speed, +5 competence bonus to tumble.

Plus if you move at least 10 feet as part of a move action, you use your CHA modifier on attack and damage rolls (with one-handed slashing weapons) instead of STR or DEX. (Having a source of pounce is a distinct advantage here.)

The description, though, says that the slippers "imbue the wearer with a shocking grace and a deadly fluidity in battle" and enable the wearer to move with "unnatural grace and alacrity".

They are 33,750 gp, though, so just out of your budget. You might have to do some earning or sell an item to get them.

So get some slippers (you should have some anyway) and perform a "battle dance" with a pair of daggers. The DM should see reason to award a circumstance bonus to your dance skill for moving in these ways.

Alternatively, or in addition, take the bard's Snowflake Battledance feat ( use of bardic music enables "you to leap and almost seem to float haphazardly across the battlefield like a whirling, razor-edged snowflake"). This dance also adds your CHA bonus to attack rolls.

And that Snowflake Wardance with slippers of battle dancing would certainly add a "special something" that would "Wow" the audience of a battledance performance.

Malimar
2016-04-20, 05:02 PM
If it's only one check for the whole performance, a shard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#shards) will give you +10 for 1000gp.