PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gestalt knife thrower

JohnStone
2016-04-20, 08:46 PM
I am a bit out of date with Pathfinder and was wondering what suggestions could be made to make a fun halfling knife thrower using the Gestalt rules. My first thought (with about 3 minutes of contemplation) was Unchained rogue (Knife Master)//Monk (Far style)

one rule, no multiclass just the two for gestalt, start at lvl 1

Triskavanski
2016-04-20, 10:53 PM
One may want to go Fighter | Rogue.

Fighter can double up on the damage caused by your weapon training, and can make it so those d4 weapons start doing 2d8 instead. You could also trade out additional armor training after your third level one, to pick up skills based on BAB, saving your rogue's skill points for ones you can't get before (Advance Armor Training)

avr
2016-04-20, 11:08 PM
A rogue is good for melee, but it's actually hard for a rogue to get sneak attack at range reliably and that's the main source of your damage here. If you want throwing knives to be a major part of the build you need to look elsewhere.

E.g. A slayer has another source of damage via studied target which is easier to get, full BAB and may be able to get Prereq-free feats via ranger combat styles like Close Quarters Thrower. A warpriest can improve the base dagger damage dice, gets a bunch of feats, and can use buff spells (like divine favor) as swift actions. A card caster magus can attach spells like shocking grasp to their thrown weapons.

If you want dex to damage at range (Unrogue only does so in melee) you'll need to use starknives rather than daggers - look up the starry grace feat.

BTW, what do you find 'fun' in a character?

StreamOfTheSky
2016-04-21, 12:39 AM
Does the DM allow homebrew? PF is lacking a lot of what made throwing builds decent in 3E. The Blinkback Belt and Two Handed Thrower feat help claw some of that back, but both are geared towards throwing the same big honkin' weapon with each attack, and don't help a knife thrower much. I made the 3E Master Thrower prestige class as a Fighter archetype (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p2fx?Master-Thrower), if you're interested. Still firmly stuck in tier 4 at best, no worries. :smallsmile:

Krazzman
2016-04-21, 06:41 AM
Look at brawler and Warpriest. Both can enhance the dice rolled for certain weapons.

Whilst rogue is an awesome choice if you can be reliably getting sneak attack slayer might be a god alternative (don't fall into the trap of sniper ).

Tuvarkz
2016-04-21, 09:41 AM
I am a bit out of date with Pathfinder and was wondering what suggestions could be made to make a fun halfling knife thrower using the Gestalt rules. My first thought (with about 3 minutes of contemplation) was Unchained rogue (Knife Master)//Monk (Far style)

one rule, no multiclass just the two for gestalt, start at lvl 1

What content is allowed? Because a Gifted Blade Soulbolt Soulknife//Stalker could be pretty mean.

Xethik
2016-04-21, 03:51 PM
Vigilante's Returning Weapon talent is quite nice, but you'd need 14 levels of actual Vigilante levels to get the best effect (Stalker Talent Advanced Rogue Talent only gets you up to level 10).

Startoss Style with Starry Grace would be auto-includes for me. Ricochet Toss is a great pickup if you can qualify (weapon returns after each attack). You can add the Focused Weapon Fighter Advanced talent at higher levels to increase the damage die of your attack significantly.