PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Wizard Multiclass

PrincessOfNight
2016-04-20, 09:56 PM
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I'm currently playing in a buddy's campaign, and at the end of last session, we received enough XP to level up to 7th.

I'm currently playing a Pixie Wizard, (Str-2, Dex-20, Con-12, Int-20, Wis-14, Cha-8), and I'm debating what class to take, next. I mostly focus on Battlefield Control, specializing in Illusion spells. And for flavour, I'm trying to shun damage dealing spells. Now, we imported 3.5's level adjustment feature, and we had Pixie's take an LA:+1, so I'm really going from level 5 to 6th.

This build will be predominantly Wizard, but I like dipping a level or two into another class to add versatility to my character. The problem is that I'm torn between Cleric and Rogue. I'm definitely not taking both, since that'll be too many lost caster levels, and I'll never get 9th level spells.

I like Rogue since I'd like to take Expertise on Stealth and Arcana, (giving me a +11 to each, which is amazing), and proficiency in Thieves's Tools is nothing to sneeze at.

While Cleric is recommended in a lot of handbooks, getting spells like Bless and Guidance don't seem like strong enough of a draw for me. And, anyway, my deity is Titania, so I'd feel forced to choose the Nature Domain, which feels mostly fluff.

But I'd like to hear what you all think, what would be the best option to maximize my usefulness to the party?

zylodrizzt
2016-04-21, 09:40 AM
Didn't see what school you're taking. I imagine illusion which to me sounds more arcane trickster so I'd go rogue

PrincessOfNight
2016-04-21, 01:51 PM
Didn't see what school you're taking. I imagine illusion which to me sounds more arcane trickster so I'd go rogue

I did take Illusion, yes. Sorry, that's what I meant by "specializing".

Since a big portion of my strategy is casting spells while remaining undetected by the enemy, I was thinking Rogue would be a better fit. I just didn't see it in any of the Wizard Handbooks, so I was worried about it being a trap.

zylodrizzt
2016-04-21, 03:21 PM
Rogue sounds best then. Eventually getting the ability to apply disadvantage upon surprise could be good for illusions to stay hidden. Sorc could get u subtle spell to remain undetected. Two warlock can get u silent image at will. Also apply hex not as a damage buff but as a int skill debuff for more illusion. Any of those pair well with booming blade so they can't pursue. Having rouge will allow u to (if u have it) drop shocking grasp. Warlock will also get u devil sight no need to say more I think. Pact of chain could get u an invisible helper to deliver some touch debuffs. If u grab Sorc for subtle I'd grab extend to make your illusion last even longer or quicken to hide even faster or heighten to give disadvantage. No one says u need to take spells from any of these that have rolls involved n will just increase your tricks. Hope this helps.

PrincessOfNight
2016-04-21, 04:30 PM
Rogue sounds best then. Eventually getting the ability to apply disadvantage upon surprise could be good for illusions to stay hidden. Sorc could get u subtle spell to remain undetected. Two warlock can get u silent image at will. Also apply hex not as a damage buff but as a int skill debuff for more illusion. Any of those pair well with booming blade so they can't pursue. Having rouge will allow u to (if u have it) drop shocking grasp. Warlock will also get u devil sight no need to say more I think. Pact of chain could get u an invisible helper to deliver some touch debuffs. If u grab Sorc for subtle I'd grab extend to make your illusion last even longer or quicken to hide even faster or heighten to give disadvantage. No one says u need to take spells from any of these that have rolls involved n will just increase your tricks. Hope this helps.

These are all brilliant ideas, thank you! I can see Rogue is definitely the clear choice, now. But I feel like you've now dumped a whole bunch of new options on my plate to sift through :P

Still, the feedback was much appreciated, thank you! :3

zylodrizzt
2016-04-21, 04:53 PM
I didn't even mention feats. Basically anything that can apply to spells or hiding or mobility (specifically mobile) could improve your elustivity. There are a few feats that u may find a good use for that are rarely thought of like maybe actor or that one that lets u remember things perfectly.

Gtdead
2016-04-21, 06:23 PM
Considering the limitations of MC, you can't multiclass into warlock/sorc with 8 CHA, you need 13.
Rogue is solid. Just two levels will grant you cunning action which you can use to increase your mobility and stealth.

Going three arcane trickster will give you an extra caster level (although it won't give you higher level wizard spells, just slots to upcast your already known spells), and three cantrips. The bonus it gives to mage hand is awesome too and I think it will mesh very well with your character.

PrincessOfNight
2016-04-21, 07:02 PM
Considering the limitations of MC, you can't multiclass into warlock/sorc with 8 CHA, you need 13.
Rogue is solid. Just two levels will grant you cunning action which you can use to increase your mobility and stealth.

I forgot all about that rule, actually. Certainly makes it easier to choose, now, though.

Going three arcane trickster will give you an extra caster level (although it won't give you higher level wizard spells, just slots to upcast your already known spells), and three cantrips. The bonus it gives to mage hand is awesome too and I think it will mesh very well with your character.

Going 3 will mean that I lose out on 9th level spells, so at most I could take Rogue-2/

Which I think totally sucks, too. Since I already spam Mage Hand. We imported a lot of things from 3.5, namely the Diminutive Size Category, and scaling encumbrance. So I can only lift up to 6 pounds. Mage Hand it practically double my strength. It would be nice to have an upgrade for it.

zylodrizzt
2016-04-21, 09:48 PM
Forgot about mc requirements most games I'm in don't use it n if they do they use rolling and often I got what I needed. I was wondering just what u want from 9th level spells? I mean u can still upcast while getting a useful feature. I mean even lower level spells pack a punch specially up cast. Maybe dm will allow u to switch stats around for some of my ideas maybe con since u will be so elusive. I can see u wanting to cast shield or asorb elements at will but is 9th level needed will u even reach that high?

PrincessOfNight
2016-04-21, 10:29 PM
Forgot about mc requirements most games I'm in don't use it n if they do they use rolling and often I got what I needed. I was wondering just what u want from 9th level spells? I mean u can still upcast while getting a useful feature. I mean even lower level spells pack a punch specially up cast. Maybe dm will allow u to switch stats around for some of my ideas maybe con since u will be so elusive. I can see u wanting to cast shield or asorb elements at will but is 9th level needed will u even reach that high?

Yes, we will be reaching that high a level. We have multiple people in our group, (around 8 or so) and we have multiple people capable of DMing, so anyone that wishes to switch, has someone ready to take over. Additionally, we meet almost every week, and have been leveling fairly quickly.

As for what 9th level spells that I would actually want? Wish, Time Stop, Shapechange, True Polymorph. They're all amazing, and as a Wizard, I just want to know as many spells as I possibly can. Losing out on a whole level known feels like such a disadvantage to me.

Gtdead
2016-04-21, 10:36 PM
Damn, level adjustment. Seems like I tried too hard to forget this one.

Rogue 2 will still give you cunning action which is the best ability you can get to assist you in tricksy stuff with a lvl 2 dip.
The other one I can think is Druid but I'm not very well versed with the class and I'm not sure how much shapechange will help you. If you find yourself using polymorph for out of combat stuff (like boosting that 2 STR of yours, then perhaps it's a good idea.

PrincessOfNight
2016-04-22, 02:22 PM
Damn, level adjustment. Seems like I tried too hard to forget this one.

Rogue 2 will still give you cunning action which is the best ability you can get to assist you in tricksy stuff with a lvl 2 dip.
The other one I can think is Druid but I'm not very well versed with the class and I'm not sure how much shapechange will help you. If you find yourself using polymorph for out of combat stuff (like boosting that 2 STR of yours, then perhaps it's a good idea.

Level adjustments suck, yeah. But I started the game with Dex-20, and Int-19, it was only fair to have some penalty to offset that.

I really like the Cunning Action ability. But losing out on two Casting levels feels like it'll really hurt. Do you think it could be worth it?

And, I would like to Wildshape, but we have a bunch of new players at our table, and one of them is playing Druid for the first time. I don't really want to steal the show by copying their trick.