PDA

View Full Version : ek what lvl do you get to choose different spell classes and how does it work

Night Eternal
2016-04-21, 02:34 PM
pretty much the subject :) I know you get one at 3 8 and 20 but is that it. 8 and 20 seems like there should be at least one more ?

I know blur , misty step , invisibity , mirror image are all illusion or conjuration. and if that so how am I suppose to choose between them. they are all so cool

Specter
2016-04-21, 03:18 PM
3, 8, 14 and 20.

My guide has some tips.

Saggo
2016-04-21, 03:44 PM
Worth noting that if you replace your level 3 free school spell pick when you're leveling up, it has to be a spell from Abjuration or Evocation again. It specifically calls out only 8, 14, and 20 picks with free school spells when replacing spells known.

Night Eternal
2016-04-25, 11:13 AM
3, 8, 14 and 20.

My guide has some tips.

your guide says that you get an advantage on attack roles with find familiar I spell which I have now. where does it say that in the book

kaoskonfety
2016-04-25, 11:32 AM
your guide says that you get an advantage on attack roles with find familiar I spell which I have now. where does it say that in the book

This is the "Find Familiar - help action" debate. Your familiar can take actions that are not attack actions. This, the argument goes, includes the "Help" action that grants advantage on your attack rolls.

How your DM will respond to this will likely vary from table to table - kill the familiar alot, shrug and let you have it, or state that since it cannot attack it cannot help you attack ('help' can only be preformed with actions you could take or a more blunt "that's broken" veto) are the three main responses I've seen.

Specter
2016-04-25, 11:39 AM

The familiar acts as an independent creature with its own initiative, and you can make it use the Help action.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-04-25, 12:10 PM
This is the "Find Familiar - help action" debate. Your familiar can take actions that are not attack actions. This, the argument goes, includes the "Help" action that grants advantage on your attack rolls.

How your DM will respond to this will likely vary from table to table - kill the familiar alot, shrug and let you have it, or state that since it cannot attack it cannot help you attack ('help' can only be preformed with actions you could take or a more blunt "that's broken" veto) are the three main responses I've seen.

Yeah, I don't see how this doesn't end up with a pile of dead familiars. The most realistic situation has the familiar distracting the enemy, as in drawing their attention, so they're gonna get smacked. And with low AC and HP, they're gonna die.
How many 10gp sacks of charcoal do you really want to carry?

Specter
2016-04-25, 03:17 PM
If the enemy wants to actively target the familiar, fine with me. That's one less action/attack that could have been used on me. The biggest worry is AoE, but if the familiar is close to the enemy he would have to act smart not to target himself.

(But seriously, just make the familiar go behind the enemy and it should be fine.)

Saggo
2016-04-25, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I don't see how this doesn't end up with a pile of dead familiars. The most realistic situation has the familiar distracting the enemy, as in drawing their attention, so they're gonna get smacked. And with low AC and HP, they're gonna die.
How many 10gp sacks of charcoal do you really want to carry?

You pick the right tool for the right job. If you're primarily in it for Help shenanigans, Owl and its 60' flying speed and Flyby makes it easy to duck in and out, usually gaining height or finding concealment or half-cover (party members count as half-cover). It mitigates risk, you just need to be wary of ranged and reactions.

quinron
2016-04-25, 04:56 PM
Worth noting that if you replace your level 3 free school spell pick when you're leveling up, it has to be a spell from Abjuration or Evocation again. It specifically calls out only 8, 14, and 20 picks with free school spells when replacing spells known.

Are there DMs who keep to this rule? That just seems obtuse; if you can replace every other one of your learned unrestricted spells with an unrestricted spell, what makes the level 3 spell different?

Saggo
2016-04-25, 05:23 PM
Are there DMs who keep to this rule? That just seems obtuse; if you can replace every other one of your learned unrestricted spells with an unrestricted spell, what makes the level 3 spell different?

Enforced or not, the handbook is explicit, any spell learned at level 3 (regardless of school) must be replaced with a spell from abjuration or evocation:

"Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the wizard spells you know with another spell of your choice from the wizard spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, and it must be an abjuration or evocation spell, unless you’re replacing the spell you gained at 8th, 14th, or 20th level." (p75)

You can houserule it, but you can houserule anything.