PDA

View Full Version : Glyph of Warding + Spell combinations

RulesJD
2016-04-21, 02:39 PM
Basically Glyph of Warding lets you bypass the Concentration requirement for some spells. How can we best use that? By casting a Glyph (Spell) right before a long rest and have the trigger be a secret word that you say when you wake up. You recover the spell slot after the long rest and get the spell's benefit when you wake up without needing to Concentrate.

Given the mechanical limitations, only spells with a duration of 1hr+ would seem to be worth it. Additionally, it's really only worth it in some instances if you have a 3rd level + Spell level slots before your long rest and aren't likely to be ambushed. Suggestions?:

1. Enhance Ability (Cats Grace) = advantage on Initiative rolls if you know combat is coming up soon after waking up.

2. Mage Armor (same thing, spell without burning the spell slot)

4. Protection from Energy/Poison (no concentration requirement anymore)

5. Death Ward

6. Darkvision

7. Invisibility

8. Magic Weapon (possibly, depends on targeting requirements)

9. See Invis

10. Fly

What other ones?

BiPolar
2016-04-21, 02:44 PM
None of those will work:

When you cast this spell, you inscribe a glyph that harms other creatures,

If the spell in the glyph doesn't harm, it's not allowed.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-04-21, 02:55 PM
First off it costs 200gp per casting.

"When you cast this spell, you inscribe a glyph that harms other creatures, either upon a surface (such as a table or a section of floor or wall) or within an object that can be closed (such as a book, a scroll, or a treasure chest) to conceal the glyph."

"The spell must target a single creature or an area."

The wording of the spell seems to imply that this is a trap spell that harms other creatures... not help the caster. You could argue that single creature could apply to the caster, but then there is also the "self" target to most beneficial spells.

RulesJD
2016-04-21, 03:33 PM
None of those will work:

Hmmmm damn, that does seem to be a problem. Ah well, thanks for the good catch, sadly knocks this idea down.

BiPolar
2016-04-21, 03:40 PM
Gets worse...if the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered.

RulesJD
2016-04-21, 03:58 PM
Gets worse...if the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered.

That actually wouldn't be a problem. The idea was to have the spell triggered right before you left camp/tiny hut to go adventuring, thus effectively saving yourself a spell slot (because you regained it after casting the Glyph and having a long rest) and not needing to concentrate on the spell.

But because it has to be a harmful spell, the idea doesn't work.

RickAllison
2016-04-21, 04:10 PM
That actually wouldn't be a problem. The idea was to have the spell triggered right before you left camp/tiny hut to go adventuring, thus effectively saving yourself a spell slot (because you regained it after casting the Glyph and having a long rest) and not needing to concentrate on the spell.

But because it has to be a harmful spell, the idea doesn't work.

This was also asked in Sage Advice, for confirmation, and answered by Chris Perkins:

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/690962618832453632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I think that's a very clever use of the spell, though clearly not its intended use.

RulesJD
2016-04-21, 04:15 PM
This was also asked in Sage Advice, for confirmation, and answered by Chris Perkins:

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/690962618832453632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sadly Chris Perkins isn't the rules guy, Jeremy Crawford is. A search of Sage Advice doesn't reveal much, but my gut instinct is that it won't be allowed. Otherwise every Wizard worth a salt that goes to bed with some level 3+ slots will wake up and have multiple buffs running for likely the first hour, or even 8 hours for things like Mage Armor, Darkvision, Death Ward, etc.

Segev
2016-04-21, 04:18 PM
I think "harms" in this case is indicative of intent, but is hard to...quantify. This is, admittedly, probably too legalistic a reading of the text, but since "harm" is not particularly well-defined, the same thing that applies in the 3e bestow curse discussions where people can be "cursed" with things they actually want (e.g. the transgendered person wanting to be "cursed" into being the opposite sex, or the kid (foolishly, perhaps) wanting to be "cursed" with a mature body).

In such an interpretation, you could have any spell that can target you be in your glyph, treating "harm" as a statement of intent, not an actual requirement.

If so, my favorite use so far is to store up project image spells. Removing the Concentration requirement from them makes it a lot more useful, since you can keep it up and around while going about your normal day, swapping to it whenever you need to.

Gtdead
2016-04-21, 06:06 PM
One use that I could think of that I need to try in game, is magic circle glyph trap, lure the being near it and then cast planar binding.

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 08:37 AM
I think "harms" in this case is indicative of intent, but is hard to...quantify. This is, admittedly, probably too legalistic a reading of the text, but since "harm" is not particularly well-defined, the same thing that applies in the 3e bestow curse discussions where people can be "cursed" with things they actually want (e.g. the transgendered person wanting to be "cursed" into being the opposite sex, or the kid (foolishly, perhaps) wanting to be "cursed" with a mature body).

In such an interpretation, you could have any spell that can target you be in your glyph, treating "harm" as a statement of intent, not an actual requirement.

If so, my favorite use so far is to store up project image spells. Removing the Concentration requirement from them makes it a lot more useful, since you can keep it up and around while going about your normal day, swapping to it whenever you need to.

I don't think it's hard to quantify "harm." Does it cause damage? Does it inflict a condition or a penalty? If it does absolutely nothing mechanically, I would say there is no harm.

As such, Project Image doesn't harm anything. We can, and probably will, argue the definition of "harm", but without any physical or mental injury I think it's pretty clear there is no harm.

One use that I could think of that I need to try in game, is magic circle glyph trap, lure the being near it and then cast planar binding.
You can definitely do it, but the recipient would have to come to you. If you move the glyph more than 10' from where it was cast, then the glyph is broken and spell doesn't cast.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-04-22, 08:39 AM
You'd also have to cast Glyph of Warding at 5th level. And pay both ppells GP requirements. 200 for glyph and 1000 for planar binding.

Segev
2016-04-22, 09:17 AM
I don't think it's hard to quantify "harm." Does it cause damage? Does it inflict a condition or a penalty? If it does absolutely nothing mechanically, I would say there is no harm.

As such, Project Image doesn't harm anything. We can, and probably will, argue the definition of "harm", but without any physical or mental injury I think it's pretty clear there is no harm.

Yeah, given 5e's reliance on natural language, I will not argue the point. It's pretty clear what the intent is. I think it a more fun house-rule to ignore the "harm" clause, myself, but if it isn't a house rule, it's so close to being one as to make no difference.

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 09:29 AM
Yeah, given 5e's reliance on natural language, I will not argue the point. It's pretty clear what the intent is. I think it a more fun house-rule to ignore the "harm" clause, myself, but if it isn't a house rule, it's so close to being one as to make no difference.

Heh. If you really want that...get yourself a ring of Spell Storing.

Segev
2016-04-22, 09:32 AM
Heh. If you really want that...get yourself a ring of Spell Storing.

Does that also waive the Concentration requirement?

Archmage_Storm
2016-04-22, 09:45 AM
Glyph of Warding has many uses, even for its cost and harm only features. However as a DM and player, as long as it "harms" in any way shape or form (such as contagion spell, it doesn't deal damage, but severely hinders the target) I would call that fine.

I have found several spells that work well, but if you want to encourage your players to use it, or want to use it as a player frequently. Make a magic arcane pen that can cast the spell once per long rest.

-Mordenkainen's Sword, It lasts the whole minute, 3d10 per round. This was used in Princes of the apocalypse as part of the temple of the Elder Elemental Eye. It also leaves little damage to the surroundings, except to the target that is.

- Banishment

- Conjure elemental

- Incendiary cloud or Cloudkill, this is more effective if there is another glyph that casts Hold person along with the other spell.

-Flesh to stone

As you can see most of these spells take advantage of the fact that concentration spells last the whole duration once triggered.

Segev
2016-04-22, 09:50 AM
One that was pointed out in the demiplane thread (not my original idea) is using a glyph of warding with banishment to let your clone, stored on the demiplane, speak a command phrase when you wake up as him to be banished back to your home plane. Conveniently avoids having to spend a spell slot on going "home."

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 09:54 AM
Does that also waive the Concentration requirement?

Rats, doesn't look like it does :(

RickAllison
2016-04-22, 10:13 AM
Are there many spells with beneficial effects that could be seen as harmful? Polymorph and Haste are two I can think of (become a dumb beast, lose an entire turn after the spell wears off).

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 10:16 AM
Are there many spells with beneficial effects that could be seen as harmful? Polymorph and Haste are two I can think of (become a dumb beast, lose an entire turn after the spell wears off).

I don't think you could rule haste as "harmful". Yes, it has a side effect after it finishes, but it's not "harmful" spell. In addition, Polymorph wouldn't be harmful unless it transforms you into something that isn't useful. Like a fish out of water :)

Segev
2016-04-22, 10:18 AM
I don't think you could rule haste as "harmful". Yes, it has a side effect after it finishes, but it's not "harmful" spell. In addition, Polymorph wouldn't be harmful unless it transforms you into something that isn't useful. Like a fish out of water :)

I don't think you can rule polymorph out, simply because the classic "A witch turned me into a toad!" scenario is achieved with that spell.

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 10:21 AM
I don't think you can rule polymorph out, simply because the classic "A witch turned me into a toad!" scenario is achieved with that spell.

Exactly - it has to be something that isn't useful. Having it turn you into a T-Rex wouldn't be "harmful".

Here's a question, though - if it's not undergoing Concentration rules can it be dismissed?

RickAllison
2016-04-22, 10:26 AM
Exactly - it has to be something that isn't useful. Having it turn you into a T-Rex wouldn't be "harmful".

Here's a question, though - if it's not undergoing Concentration rules can it be dismissed?

Nope. You are stuck till you die, are dispelled, or an hour passes.

Segev
2016-04-22, 10:30 AM
Exactly - it has to be something that isn't useful. Having it turn you into a T-Rex wouldn't be "harmful". I can see enough situations where it would be for it to fit.

In particular, paired glyphs that trigger "polymorph into a T-Rex" and suggestion "Your allies have been replaced by doppelgangers who murdered the originals; take revenge," would be pretty nasty. With the T-Rex's mental stats, the save against the suggestion would be lowered, and an angry T-Rex who sees monsters that MURDERED his friends and TOOK THEIR PLACES is probably not safe to be around.

Unless there are dismissal rules of which I am unaware (which is possible), I don't think so.

As a simplistic example to examine this: can a (non-Illusionist) caster cause a minor illusion of a shrub he conjured to disappear if he no longer wants it there? Or does he have to wait for the minute to be up and for it to go away on its own?

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 10:47 AM
I can see enough situations where it would be for it to fit.

In particular, paired glyphs that trigger "polymorph into a T-Rex" and suggestion "Your allies have been replaced by doppelgangers who murdered the originals; take revenge," would be pretty nasty. With the T-Rex's mental stats, the save against the suggestion would be lowered, and an angry T-Rex who sees monsters that MURDERED his friends and TOOK THEIR PLACES is probably not safe to be around.
Yes! Absolutely - but you wouldn't want to cast that on yourself as a "buff" :)

Unless there are dismissal rules of which I am unaware (which is possible), I don't think so.

As a simplistic example to examine this: can a (non-Illusionist) caster cause a minor illusion of a shrub he conjured to disappear if he no longer wants it there? Or does he have to wait for the minute to be up and for it to go away on its own?

THat's an interesting idea - I guess they'd have to use a cantrip action in order to dismiss it?

Segev
2016-04-22, 11:15 AM
Yes! Absolutely - but you wouldn't want to cast that on yourself as a "buff" :)The point being that, if you can create it in that circumstance, you can create just one of the two glyphs of warding, and "forget" the suggestion one. In which case it now is a buff for anybody who triggers it and considers "being a T-Rex" a buff.

THat's an interesting idea - I guess they'd have to use a cantrip action in order to dismiss it?

They could at least use minor illusion again to create a new illusion, which automatically cancels the shrub. But that isn't technically dismissing it; it's casting a new illusion. Even if said new illusion is of a "pff" sound made as the shrub disappears, they technically did cast a new illusion, not dismiss the old one.

So the question stands: can they just dismiss it, or do they have to do something that is not "dismiss spell" to make it end early?

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 12:18 PM
The point being that, if you can create it in that circumstance, you can create just one of the two glyphs of warding, and "forget" the suggestion one. In which case it now is a buff for anybody who triggers it and considers "being a T-Rex" a buff.
Yeah, I guess so. But that's clearly a workaround. I think any DM would say no (or at least I would.)

They could at least use minor illusion again to create a new illusion, which automatically cancels the shrub. But that isn't technically dismissing it; it's casting a new illusion. Even if said new illusion is of a "pff" sound made as the shrub disappears, they technically did cast a new illusion, not dismiss the old one.

So the question stands: can they just dismiss it, or do they have to do something that is not "dismiss spell" to make it end early?

THat's a really good question, and probably another topic. Are there minor illusions everywhere that people have investigated and just won't go away. Illusion litter?

Segev
2016-04-22, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I guess so. But that's clearly a workaround. I think any DM would say no (or at least I would.)I'd argue it should be allowed because it is inconsistent to allow it if there is another glyph nearby but not if there isn't, and that such a trap should be doable.

Heck, if your fear is of attacking mages, you could have the traps be polymorph into a T-Rex traps just to drop their int and kill their casting. That your non-mage guardsmen can also activate them to their advantage is a side benefit, at that point.

THat's a really good question, and probably another topic. Are there minor illusions everywhere that people have investigated and just won't go away. Illusion litter?
The duration is only 1 minute, so no. I was really just asking the question as a way of identifying dismissability as possible or not, without consideration of Concentration.

JoeJ
2016-04-22, 01:02 PM
I'd argue it should be allowed because it is inconsistent to allow it if there is another glyph nearby but not if there isn't, and that such a trap should be doable.

Heck, if your fear is of attacking mages, you could have the traps be polymorph into a T-Rex traps just to drop their int and kill their casting. That your non-mage guardsmen can also activate them to their advantage is a side benefit, at that point.

So maybe it works if your intention is to trap attacking mages, but not if your intention is as a buff?

The duration is only 1 minute, so no. I was really just asking the question as a way of identifying dismissability as possible or not, without consideration of Concentration.

Minor Illusion can be dismissed as an action.

krugaan
2016-04-22, 01:19 PM
about the whole "harmful" spells thing:

I didn't check if all spells have this, but SOME buff spells have the restriction that the target must be willing. Which in my opinion is lame. Haste has such a restriction (probably so you can't abuse the "lose a turn" part and it offers no saving throw).

Segev
2016-04-22, 01:20 PM
So maybe it works if your intention is to trap attacking mages, but not if your intention is as a buff?I really dislike any ruling that relies on the player's intent, because it invites dishonesty not just for duplicitous reasons, but because now you have to self-examine and second-guess yourself to see if you're "really" meaning what you think you are, or you're just trying to game the system by changing your mental impression of your goal.

I hate having to try to tell if I am fooling myself, because I am low charisma, but even lower wisdom. :smalltongue:

Minor Illusion can be dismissed as an action.

If the spell says that, explicitly, we must assume that it is not a blanket rule, and thus spells that don't say so cannot be dismissed "early" (barring other means of ending them, like ceasing Concentration). If it does not, but relies on a blanket assumption that all spells are dismissable, then we know that you can dismiss the Concentration spell that glyph of warding puts into place.

JoeJ
2016-04-22, 01:27 PM
I really dislike any ruling that relies on the player's intent, because it invites dishonesty not just for duplicitous reasons, but because now you have to self-examine and second-guess yourself to see if you're "really" meaning what you think you are, or you're just trying to game the system by changing your mental impression of your goal.

I hate having to try to tell if I am fooling myself, because I am low charisma, but even lower wisdom. :smalltongue:

That is an issue. I was just pointing out a possible interpretation. If Glyph of Warding requires an intention to harm on the part of the caster, setting one to let your Clone return to the Prime Material Plane won't work.

If the spell says that, explicitly, we must assume that it is not a blanket rule, and thus spells that don't say so cannot be dismissed "early" (barring other means of ending them, like ceasing Concentration). If it does not, but relies on a blanket assumption that all spells are dismissable, then we know that you can dismiss the Concentration spell that glyph of warding puts into place.

AFB at the moment, but my understanding is that non-concentration spells are not dismissable unless it's specifically stated in the spell description (as it is for Minor Illusion).

PIELIKEI
2016-04-25, 01:41 PM
Mass magic missile + glyph of warding on a demiplane.
When you open it... it looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41KLtMpVQUM

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-04-27, 03:47 AM
I have noticed in many spells, the first line/sentence is merely fluff of what the spell does, not any rules on how it works. i.e. Acid splash cantrip "you hurl a bubble of acid". It doesn't have to be a bubble, and that's not any part of the spells rules, just a flavorful descriptor.

I think the same thing is happening with Glyph of Warding:
The "glyph that harms other creatures" is only describing its default option of Explosive Runes (Varsuvius' favorite spell to prepare), as they cant conceivably fluff text every possible Spell Glyph we could make.

We are arbitrarily limiting ourself on this spell, thinking every word is rules of use and not simple English.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-04-27, 08:01 AM
Explosive Runes is the default because the other option requires the caster to have 2 spells, glyph of warding and whatever they wish to place into the glyph... the caster may not want to use 2 spells.

The wording of to harm another creature is because the spell's name is glyph of WARDING, not glyph of STORING. Warding means to protect. If you are trying to use it to gain/restore spell slots, then you are using it wrong.

Rysto
2016-04-27, 08:11 AM
How much would it hurt the utility of Glyph of Warding if they spell dissipated after the caster completed a long rest? That would prevent using it to carry forward a spell slot.

BiPolar
2016-04-27, 08:33 AM
How much would it hurt the utility of Glyph of Warding if they spell dissipated after the caster completed a long rest? That would prevent using it to carry forward a spell slot.

I think it hurts it immensely. You're wanting to nerf a major aspect of the spell for a side case that has been shown to not really apply unless you really start twisting the meaning of 'harm'. The point of a ward is that you cast it and leave it to protect something.

RulesJD
2016-04-27, 09:42 AM

The point really isn't to use the Glyph to preserve spell slots, it's basically to bypass the Concentration restriction.

Segev
2016-04-27, 01:08 PM
If you rule consistently, reading "harm" as being part of the spell for glyph of warding also requires reading the opening line of geas as carrying weight, which does actually make geas useful, since it explicitly now compels the creature to carry out the task. Rather than merely punishing them relatively lightly once per day if they go DIRECTLY against the task (and thus making them safe to ignore it indefinitely).

Aaedimus
2018-06-14, 05:43 PM
All of this conversation and the "doesnt do harm" caveat is dated due to sage advice, however it still comes up on Google searches, with this post not appearing on the first page thus possibly creating confusion in games when people Google for answers to this question.
Is there any way to remedy this problem, like closing the conversation?

AureusFulgens
2018-06-14, 07:56 PM
As far as the harm restriction, I was just reading the Errata yesterday and they nixed that. It's near the end of the document:

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

So, beyond just being Sage Advice, it appears to be official. You can stick any spell into a Glyph of Warding. At least if I'm reading the Errata right.

MaxWilson
2018-06-14, 08:07 PM
So, beyond just being Sage Advice, it appears to be official. You can stick any spell into a Glyph of Warding. At least if I'm reading the Errata right.

There are still targeting restrictions:

So you could not cast Glyph of Warding (Contingency) or Glyph of Warding (Expeditious Retreat) or Glyph of Warding (Mirror Image) because those are all self-buffs, not something you could cast on an arbitrary creature. Nor could you cast Glyph of Warding (Animate Objects) because that targets objects, not creatures (although a DM might reasonably ignore that clause if you seriously wanted to cast a spell on an object that triggered the spell).

Best use I've heard of for Glyph of Warding is to set up stations for self-healing. E.g. if you're the group's only healer, cast Glyph of Warding (Raise Dead) before the start of the adventure so that even if you bite the dust, your buddies can drag your body back to the glyph and revive you. (Arguably a corpse is an object and no longer a creature, but see above and see also the spell text of Raise Dead, which states that it targets a "dead creature".)

Galactkaktus
2018-06-14, 08:22 PM
As far as the harm restriction, I was just reading the Errata yesterday and they nixed that. It's near the end of the document:

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf

I can confirm that the phb we have where i game doesn't have that text about harming another creature at all. And the only reason i know that was because i tried to correct someone about that and when we looked it up in the phb it wasn't there.

JackPhoenix
2018-06-14, 08:27 PM
All of this conversation and the "doesnt do harm" caveat is dated due to sage advice, however it still comes up on Google searches, with this post not appearing on the first page thus possibly creating confusion in games when people Google for answers to this question.
Is there any way to remedy this problem, like closing the conversation?

How about "not necromancing 2 years old threads"?

AureusFulgens
2018-06-14, 08:32 PM
There are still targeting restrictions:

So you could not cast Glyph of Warding (Contingency) or Glyph of Warding (Expeditious Retreat) or Glyph of Warding (Mirror Image) because those are all self-buffs, not something you could cast on an arbitrary creature. Nor could you cast Glyph of Warding (Animate Objects) because that targets objects, not creatures (although a DM might reasonably ignore that clause if you seriously wanted to cast a spell on an object that triggered the spell).

Best use I've heard of for Glyph of Warding is to set up stations for self-healing. E.g. if you're the group's only healer, cast Glyph of Warding (Raise Dead) before the start of the adventure so that even if you bite the dust, your buddies can drag your body back to the glyph and revive you. (Arguably a corpse is an object and no longer a creature, but see above and see also the spell text of Raise Dead, which states that it targets a "dead creature".)

Fair point, I'd forgotten about that.

Still, that opens up all kinds of neat ideas. I'm thinking of an idea from an otherwise-mostly-unremarkable Orson Scott Card book, The Lost Gate, where the main character (a gatemage) creates little tokens with gates attached to them that his friends can use for quick self-healing or as escape hatches if things get rough. The exact technique wouldn't work given that (a) most teleportation spells don't target a creature, and (b) you can't carry around a glyph of warding, but you can still take inspiration. If you're expecting to be attacked, set up all kinds of little glyphs for your buddies to get haste or fly or whatever as they need it. Or leave them lying around as gifts to friendly townspeople - little one-use things they can use to get a hit of healing or bull's strength or whatever when they need it.

That reminds me, why DON'T we have an offensive teleportation spell? Or do we?

EDIT:

How about "not necromancing 2 years old threads"?

Oh. Didn't notice that was what I was participating in, just that the last post was today. That would explain why nobody had noticed the errata in the older posts, I guess. :smalleek:

Blackhearth
2018-11-26, 09:37 PM
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know of any ruling regarding combining GoW with a Bag of Holding?

As in, you put your glyph on a pebble, move the BoH to within a few inches of the pebble & put the pebble in the bag. The pebble has now moved say, 3 inches. Since the inside of the bag is an extradimensional space, the pebble isn't moving relative to its surroundings while it's in there, bypassing the 10' rule. At a later date, you take out the pebble & activate it: boom, instant Haste / Fly / Improved Invisibility (or whatever you cast into it). Make the trigger a keyword & do lots of them over a few days, then upend the bag when you need the effects & you could have them all go off at once!

The only issue I see is that the wording states "If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast the spell, it ends without being triggered", but would "where you cast the spell be "on the pebble" or the place where the caster was stood when they cast it? If it's geography, due to the extradimensional nature of the transport would it be a problem due to being more than 10' from that spot, or not a problem because the pebble has only physically moved a few inches?

Brutalitops
2018-11-27, 05:21 AM
One that was pointed out in the demiplane thread (not my original idea) is using a glyph of warding with banishment to let your clone, stored on the demiplane, speak a command phrase when you wake up as him to be banished back to your home plane. Conveniently avoids having to spend a spell slot on going "home."

I would recommend using plane shift rather than clone as you have no control where you are banished with banishment and might end up in the middle of the ocean.

MaxWilson
2018-11-27, 08:43 AM
As in, you put your glyph on a pebble, move the BoH to within a few inches of the pebble & put the pebble in the bag. The pebble has now moved say, 3 inches. Since the inside of the bag is an extradimensional space, the pebble isn't moving relative to its surroundings while it's in there, bypassing the 10' rule. At a later date, you take out the pebble & activate it: boom, instant Haste / Fly / Improved Invisibility (or whatever you cast into it). Make the trigger a keyword & do lots of them over a few days, then upend the bag when you need the effects & you could have them all go off at once!

(1) Bag of Holding in the 5E DMG says nothing about extradimensional spaces. You might be thinking of Heward's Handy Haversack instead.

(2) Why do you assume that somewhere in another dimension is still within 10' of the original casting place in your original dimension? Seems like the more natural assumption would be the opposite: when it crosses the dimensional boundary, you're no longer within 10' and so the spell stops working. Ask your DM for their ruling though.

I would recommend using plane shift rather than clone as you have no control where you are banished with banishment and might end up in the middle of the ocean.

Plane Shift works the same way. When you cast it on another creature to banish it, "If the creature fails the save, it is transported to a random location on the plane of existence you specify." You don't get to pick a destination.

OvisCaedo
2018-11-27, 08:48 AM
Huh. It's actually kind of funny that the bag of holding DOESN'T specifically call itself out as an extradimensional space, despite being about the same thing as the Haversack and still having the clause about what goes wrong if you put it into other extradimensional space items.

That being said, either way: If you wanted to exploit that extradimensional space "not moving", wouldn't it make more sense to put the item in first and just glyph it up while it's in the bag? Reach in without saying the password, or use the "opening" variant on a tiny box or notebook or something.

Blackhearth
2018-12-03, 09:53 PM
Point 1 is something I'm assuming, based on the descriptive text, abilities of the item & history of the item in previous editions.

(2) Why do you assume that somewhere in another dimension is still within 10' of the original casting place in your original dimension?

Because the physical distance moved isn't technically any distance away - same way someone passing through a Dimension Door takes a single step to travel up to 500'. GoW states "If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet", which to me indicates physical travel. Taking what amounts to a trans-dimensional shortcut should bypass this issue since the pebble isn't actually moved (except the few inches required to put it in & get it out of the bag, well within the 10' limit), it simply starts in one place & then is in another, without travelling through the intervening space.

Damon_Tor
2018-12-03, 11:12 PM
Because the physical distance moved isn't technically any distance away - same way someone passing through a Dimension Door takes a single step to travel up to 500'. GoW states "If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet", which to me indicates physical travel. Taking what amounts to a trans-dimensional shortcut should bypass this issue since the pebble isn't actually moved (except the few inches required to put it in & get it out of the bag, well within the 10' limit), it simply starts in one place & then is in another, without travelling through the intervening space.

The more abusive the thing you're doing is, the more flawless your rules adherence has got to be. Using a Glyph to bypass concentration rules for buff spells is potentially incredibly disruptive, which means any ambiguity in the rules will be used to your detriment. Does passing through a planar portal violate the "move 10 feet" clause? It's unclear, but when doing something like this that lack of clarity means you don't get to do whatever it is you're trying to do. These kinds of shenanigans are best used with a demiplane-based "buffing parlor", not a bag of holding, because you don't have to deal with any uncertainty in the rules.

Ecthelion
2020-07-20, 08:28 AM
None of those will work:

Actually, someone below stated that the "harms" is merely a statement of game author(s) intent/expectation, and I'm pretty sure that is absolutely correct.

Why you ask?

Because the "harms" blurb is removed in the PHB errata.

http s (colon) // media (dot) wizards (dot) com (slash) 2016 (slash) downloads (slash) DND (slash) PH-Errata.pdf

So, enjoy!

You're Welcome

MinotaurWarrior
2020-07-20, 11:22 AM
The more abusive the thing you're doing is, the more flawless your rules adherence has got to be. Using a Glyph to bypass concentration rules for buff spells is potentially incredibly disruptive, which means any ambiguity in the rules will be used to your detriment. Does passing through a planar portal violate the "move 10 feet" clause? It's unclear, but when doing something like this that lack of clarity means you don't get to do whatever it is you're trying to do. These kinds of shenanigans are best used with a demiplane-based "buffing parlor", not a bag of holding, because you don't have to deal with any uncertainty in the rules.

However, if you are under 4ft tall (gnome wizard) you can climb inside the bag of holding with some means of breathing. Or you can use a portable hole regardless of your height and ability to avoid suffocation.

It's better than, say, having to teleport back to your home base, but it's basically making a super home base. It's hard countered by consecutive adventuring days. It also opens you up to NPCs doing it too. I'd file it under a similar folder as simulacrum.

Peelee
2020-07-20, 11:39 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I'm casting Glyph Of ThisThreadShouldHaveBeenClosedTwoYearsAgo.