PDA

View Full Version : Ethereal Race

Ruethgar
2016-04-21, 03:41 PM
I'm looking for something similar to the Ethereal race from Warcraft, preferably ECL 0. It is mostly for the appearance honestly.

Currently I'm thinking of using Fax Celesitus Playable Living Spells with Dancing Lights only. On phone so no proper link but (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Awakened_Living_Spell). Is this a fairly balanced option in the opinion of the playground? Is there something I should remove or add?

Is there a better race or way to do this better that anyone else knows of?

Gildedragon
2016-04-21, 03:46 PM
looking them up
sorta looks like a Lumi (MM3) outsiders with 2HD and +2 LA

or a Ghost Elf (Dr 313) which have +1 LA and have some ethereal SLAs

Ruethgar
2016-04-21, 05:06 PM
The Lumi are a bit too focused on a specialized plane, far too much ECL, and not quite the look I was going for(though easily altered with fluff). The Ghost Elves sound awesome and reminds me of the Ghostwalk Ghosts which can easily be fluffed to fit as well. Thank you for the suggestions. I would still be open to other options, if there is a better fit.

A Ghost Elf and/or Ghostwalk Ghost would solve the issue that they are supposed to be alien/outsiders, and it would fit fairly well as an analogous to the Warcraft Ethereals who were disembodied as the result of a magical cataclysm.

Any thoughts on Fax's awakened living spells?

Falcon X
2016-04-21, 05:49 PM
Straight Githyanki are much closer in concept to Ghost Elves. Ghost elves still have bodies, they are just a little twisted.

I love Ghost Elves, BTW. But they virtually an identical concept to Blood Elves (Elven race driven from their homeworld, twisted a little by another plane, then come back with a vengeance.)

Psyren
2016-04-21, 05:59 PM
I recommend Astomoi (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/race-points-unknown/astomoi), a LA 0 psychic race from Bestiary 5 in Pathfinder that have no mouths. Here's what they look like:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IaEso9VNwdM/Vq7uKaZ7lSI/AAAAAAAAB-k/6ZQ5UykYTfE/s640/astomoi.png

The fluff even says they walk around in cloth/rags most of the time.

Falcon X
2016-04-21, 06:07 PM
How about you combine the concepts of the Helmed Horror and the Golmoid (Dragon 317)
Helmed Horror has the exact look you want.
Golmoid were once mindless constructs made by gnomes. As the AI became more and more deficient, eventually one of them asked for sentience. It's owner, a benevolent gnome, petitioned Garl Glittergold for the sentience. Garl Glittergold took it one step further and granted sentience to ALL the golmoids.

Now take that story, but apply it to a race with connections to the Ethereal. Or maybe they were owned by, say, Mind Flayers at the same time the Gith were. One of the Helmed Horrors who, because of psionic meddling, gained sentience, petitioned a god for his whole race. Bingo, you have a new race.

Ruethgar
2016-04-21, 09:40 PM
The Astomoi look awesome, jus need to change their composition from darkness to light. An awakened helmed horror would work too, but Astomoi is a bit simpler to implement.

If I remove Scent(RP4) and add a versatile feat with limitations(choose from Magical Training Basic Magical Training, Extra Credit) that should keep the RP about the same while giving it more of the magical flavor. An SLA or two would work as well I suppose(3/day Prestidigitation or something).