PDA

View Full Version : Making a Cheat Sheet for a New Player

Jbr208
2016-04-21, 03:51 PM
Hey folks, I'm getting the girlfriend involved in a 5e campaign and wanted to consult some people about how to organize information more neatly/concisely than the existing character sheets do.

At present, I'm working on a format that breaks combat stuff into offensive and defensive blocks, with a special place at the top for initiative, basic movement speed, and passive perception. An entire second page is dedicated to abridged spell information for the spells she presently has prepared. Strongly considering getting a set of the spell cards.

The defensive block has her HP, AC in various conditions (armor and shield, just armor, just shield, and neither), and saving throws. Her HP is at the top, with AC and saving throws being split into two columns beneath it. At the bottom is a small section for "special defenses" like resistance.

The offensive block consists mainly of entries for all her present weapons, plus formulae that can be used for future acquisitions. Also included are notes for grappling and shoving.

The remaining space on the page talks about skill, tool, and language proficiencies, plus other common skill checks.

Had I not been doing this by hand, I'd upload a mockup to get feedback. As it is, I'm curious how the playground might go about making a character sheet more accessible to a new comer.

GlenSmash!
2016-04-21, 05:38 PM
I downloaded some free pre-made characters for Dmsguild.com I was surprised at how they weren't using the Character sheets like the pre-mades that came in the Starter Set. All the combat stats were arranged like a monster statblock. It was very easy to read, but I imagine it would be harder to write stuff in. It might give you some ideas.

Here is a link to the human fighter: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171035/Pregen-Characters-Human-Fighter-5e?term=chara&filters=0_0_0_0_45462_0

Jbr208
2016-04-21, 06:05 PM
Here is a link to the human fighter: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171035/Pregen-Characters-Human-Fighter-5e?term=chara&filters=0_0_0_0_45462_0

This format is quite nice, I like it a lot. Thanks for pointing it out :)