PDA

View Full Version : How many are there Polish OotS fans?

mohair_ninja
2007-06-23, 03:08 PM
I know there at least 3 Poles on this forum. One of them is me, and the next two I recognized by "Location: Poland". But there are probably more.

So I've got few question to all Polish folks on the boards:
How many of us are here?
How many of your friends read the comic, but haven't registered to the forum?
Do you play D&D? (I never.)
Would Sowinska think that Belkar is gay (as teletubbie) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2703020&postcount=599) ?
Should Durkon in Polish translation speak Silesian?
How to translate V's speech without revealing his/her gender?
Does Belkar resemble Kaczynski (implying he's got an evil twin brother)?

Pozdrawiam
Moherowy Ninja

*** Thread in English because of forum rules ***

Morty
2007-06-23, 03:15 PM

Hold on there. Just because it's Polish politics, and therefore noone outside our beutiful country knows anything about it, doesn't stop it from being politics.

As for the question: well, there's me, and I do play D&D. There's also my brother here, and two people with "Poland" in location on these boards.

Beats me. but idea is sound, I've been wondering about that myself.

V's manner of speach helps here, you can avoid direct statements like "zrobiłem/am". But it'll be damn hard.

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 03:17 PM
Here's tha one.

I really have no idea how to translate Durkon's speak

Please, do not offend Belkar!

EDIT: Aha,- Kaczyński - Na Giant in the Playground mamy polskie znaki :smallbiggrin:
I think we should write them for purpose of names.

Tengu
2007-06-23, 03:26 PM
How many of us are here?

Here's one more!

None and no.

Would Sowinska think that Belkar is gay (as teletubbie) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2703020&postcount=599) ?

Only after seeing the OotS House of Horrors (in Arts and Crafts, enter at your own risk).

Well, in Giants PL the old smartie (who was Scottish in original) spoke with a strong accent from the highlands, so I think it'd work for Durkon too. Though that'd be doubly comical, since you rarely see dwarves in Polish fantasy speaking in such a way.

What M0rt said.

Belkar has more common sense. I also think he's taller.

EDIT: Literówki.

Morty
2007-06-23, 03:29 PM
Well, in Giants PL the old smartie (who was Scottish in original) spoke with an accent from the highlands, so I think it'd work for Durkon too.

Hm? How exactly Durkon sounded there? I've seen one OoTS translation recently BTW, but it was utterly terrible.
Heh, with posters here, I can count ten Poles on this board.

Tengu
2007-06-23, 03:31 PM
Durkon? He does not appear in Giants, smarties are a race there.

Morty
2007-06-23, 03:32 PM
Dang. Misunderstood what you've said:smallannoyed: . But the question remains, how did he sound like?

Tengu
2007-06-23, 03:35 PM
Like a sterotypical góral, basically. Think baca jokes.

Morty
2007-06-23, 03:38 PM
Heh. Durkon speaking like that would sound quite funny. I'd have to try translating his lines that way.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-23, 03:38 PM
Wow i never noticed how many of u there are. Im scared now. :smalleek:

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 03:50 PM
Wow i never noticed how many of u there are. Im scared now. :smalleek:

Many? If Mort can count well, six. Let's say 10, four are deeply conspirated.
Considering 19,180 members of this cool forum, not so much :smallamused:

Emperor Ing
2007-06-23, 03:52 PM
Theres probably 25X as many OOTS fans as there are OOTS forum members :smalltongue:

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 04:11 PM

I played computer D&D games, and "real" D&D too. I'm currently trying to play another nice campaign, but its hard to find gamers in my dam... lovely city.

Haha, the only think Belkar doing with purse I can imagine is filling it with lead screws. Then beating people heads with it. :smallwink:

mohair_ninja
2007-06-23, 04:31 PM
You know, stereotypical Silesian works in mine and drinks a lot of beer, so this is how I came to it.

OotS #0013, panel 8
Jak żech chlopie zrobił to z tymi obrazkomi?

OotS #0039, panel 1
Spróbuj se trocha odpocząć. Wylecza cię jutro rano.

OotS #0227, panel 8
Eee, jo, chłopie, myśla że lepiyj, żeby Miko nic nie sie nie dowiedzioła o tym tutej.

It's only Silesian-like, coz all I know about it goes from "Święta wojna" on TVP :smalltongue:

10 Poles? I hoped for more...:smallfrown:
And Spiryt is definitely Polish nickname:smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 04:41 PM
10 Poles? I hoped for more...:smallfrown:
And Spiryt is definitely Polish nickname:smallbiggrin:

Buehehe :smallbiggrin:

And I think that Silesian Durkon sounds awful...

Durkon accent sounds really cool for me. But that's probably for one simple reason. English language, even though I know it quite well (please don't laugh), is foreign language for me, and things like Durkon accent or "ye olde shope" sounds exotically and great for me.

So this is question for native English speakers:

Does Durkon's "murder the language" accent sound awful/silly to you?

EDIT: HAHAAHA!! 500 post.
Now I'm tha Barbarian, warrior in tha playground! :smallamused:

Hel65
2007-06-23, 04:44 PM
Am I undercover?

... oh yes, I am.

I guess it's true that there are more Polish fans than posters here, 'cos I randomly saw few people reading OotS on their laptops and such.

Also, I learned of OotS from a Polish forum, so there's a safe bet that at least some people there read it too.

slipper
2007-06-23, 05:05 PM
Is Poland in South America?
:smalleek:

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 05:12 PM
Is Poland in South America?
:smalleek:

Yes, little south from Tierra del Fuego :smallwink:

Eauldure
2007-06-23, 05:13 PM
One more here.
Well i would find it impossible to really translate durkons accent into the polish language. I don't really picture him speaking like a Goral at all ( The Gorale are an ethic group found in some of the slovak countries like Poland, Slovakia or the Czech Republic - Just a small note for the people that might wonder what the hell we are talking about :smalltongue: ).

And I agree that V would have a really hard to speak and not reveal his/her gender. The only way i can see this working is by a very careful wording of her statements. That would make alot of her/his speeches actualy untranslatable.

I actually pity anyone who would try to translate the oots into the polish language. Its just way to hard to translate most of the good jokes from the comic to other languages .One of the reasons might be for example that dnd abilities are named diffrent in other countries. Alot of jokes would be lost (like "Roy has bobbies") since they just wouldn't work with the translated feat names.

Im actually sort of against translations of webcomics in general. They just lose on quality too often. Humour just doesn't translate all that well if you ask me. My opinion is based on the fact that i have read both the orginal version of oots and the few german translated strips. Im sure that the translator has put alot of work into translating it as well as he could, but i have to say that the german version has lost alot on that translation . Alot of those jokes/punchlines are just too language dependant...

teratorn
2007-06-23, 05:15 PM
Yes, little south from Tierra del Fuego :smallwink:

So you guys are South Poles?

mohair_ninja
2007-06-23, 05:49 PM
I recently read a quite good translation of OotS into Czech. Only first 65 strips were translated, but they managed to portait V androgynous (only changed his/her name to Vaarsuvis, coz -us implies male in Latin and therefore in all Slavic languages), without revealing his/her gender in his/her speech. I didn't find Czech Durkon's accent different. It's not a big loss, coz I remember only 2 times there was a joke about that in original OotS.
And I agree, OotS is untranslatable as whole (:thog: not nale, not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nail, not not-nale now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail - the best example...)
So, I'm not going to try making "Zakon Patyka" or whatchacallit.

Eauldure
2007-06-23, 05:56 PM
The "zakon Patyka" that part actually cracked me up. Well Thank god that the oots translation program is on hold :smallbiggrin:

Pantler
2007-06-23, 06:01 PM

Ayup. We're from the land from which all the polar bears migrated north because of the Dire Duck plague.

I know there at least 3 Poles on this forum. One of them is me, and the next two I recognized by "Location: Poland". But there are probably more.

Ooh, me too!

Quite a lot. Five from my closest friends.

D&D - not much. But I'm a heavy RPGamer.

Aww, someone actually liked that picture... :biggrin:

Hey, nice idea. But overall I find way too many jokes untranslatable to try making a Polish translation.

See above.

Is there such thing as a NOT Evil Kaczyński twin brother?

Pozdrawiam
Moherowy Ninja

Hey, nice avatar :biggrin:

Opeth_Freak
2007-06-23, 06:03 PM
Sure we are South Poles... we are dancing with penguins every day, and eat ice-cream without 'cream'.

I'm playing DnD a lot (also Warhammer and Neuroshima) and i have a firend that is reading OotS (he even shown me this page). Now we are trying to expand OotS to all our school RPG players :)

And about translations: We can handle the problem with V's gender. I tried to translate some of the strips, and i know that our language have many tricks to avoid some of the traps. The biggest problem is fact, that there are many jokes that won't work in Polish... For example: Level up, and level down can be translated quite good (poziom w górę poziom w dół), but when we have spell level (poziom zaklęcia) and spelling (literowanie) we are doomed :)

Poźdrawiam wszyśkich Polaków!

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 06:06 PM

Well actually, I translated 213 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0213.html) once, and i think it had some really nice flavour. Unfortunatelyy, I took original OotS strip, erased text and typed my own, polish. Rich doesn't like when his work is used in that way, so I can post it, even if i had it somewhere still.

And this is best play on words i read recently. And damn, I'm reading Order of the Stick! Congratulations :smallbiggrin:.

Morty
2007-06-24, 02:22 PM
Yet another problem with V's gender would be his/her spouse. In English "mate" can apparently mean wife or husband. In Polish it isn't that simple. There's also fact that while you can call wizard man or woman, in Polish we've got "czarodziej" and "mag" or "czarodziejka" and "magiczka". So, we'd be screwed.

Heh, if we knew why they call themselves "Order of The Stick", we could try to think of better name based on context... does anyone here have Origins?
BTW, Durkon saying "Pierun Thora" would be priceless, so Silesian dwarves may not be bad idea.

Etiainen
2007-06-24, 03:06 PM
I'm just south of you, if anyone cares :smalltongue:

teratorn
2007-06-24, 03:26 PM
Heh, if we knew why they call themselves "Order of The Stick", we could try to think of better name based on context... does anyone here have Origins?

I don't speak a word of Polish, but I can help you with that. Here's from Origins:

:haley: what about the six-in-one team?
:elan: or the lucky flower guild?
:belkar: or the handsome halfling & company?
:roy: will you all shut up?? Gods! Those have to be the stupidest ideas for team names ever! you might as well call us the stray rock guild because there's a stray rock over there or the order of the stick because there's a stick on the ground!
:elan: the order of the stick - I like it

Spiryt
2007-06-24, 03:35 PM
I don't speak a word of Polish, but I can help you with that. Here's from Origins:

:haley: what about the six-in-one team?
:elan: or the lucky flower guild?
:belkar: or the handsome halfling & company?
:roy: will you all shut up?? Gods! Those have to be the stupidest ideas for team names ever! you might as well call us the stray rock guild because there's a stray rock over there or the order of the stick because there's a stick on the ground!
:elan: the order of the stick - I like it

So "Zakon patyka" will be good...

But if I'm completely dumb, this was "Order of the Stick" beacuse of graphic style in the first place. So we would have to figure how it's called in polish.

So my suggestion - DO NOT translate this. It's after all specific name.

Vatharian
2007-06-24, 03:39 PM
'Pierun Thora' <- Priceless! Yet, translation would be killer-job. DnD is english language creation, too complicated to translate completely. Alot of jokes are just word-play so I don't even want to think about it.

What do you think about Durkon speaking białostocki accent? Silesian isn't that good, beside it's sometimes non-understandable. It's simply not funny.

Btw, Count me in.

And yes, that frozen demons are in my summer-garden. On winter I have to dig my way up to the surface.
We have funny toilets: Three sticks. Shortest to bash wolves, middle to hang clothes on it and long to bash polar bears.

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-24, 04:01 PM
ACK! Polish people! Run for your lives!

:smallbiggrin: Kidding, of course.

Opeth_Freak
2007-06-24, 04:58 PM
ACK! Polish people! Run for your lives!

:smallbiggrin: Kidding, of course.

No... we wont kill you... just be carefoul when you are shaking hand with us... probably after that you wont have your watch on your hand :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2007-06-24, 05:21 PM
No... we wont kill you... just be carefoul when you are shaking hand with us... probably after that you wont have your watch on your hand :smallbiggrin:

You know, I'm undoubtly Pole (why am I pillar or something in english, by the way?) and yet my sleight of hand can be put as -3 in D&D scale :smalltongue:

mohair_ninja
2007-06-24, 05:37 PM
But we've got bonus Resistance to Alcohol :smallbiggrin:

English native speakers, don't read :smallwink:

(why am I pillar or something in english, by the way?)
It's because English is like Chinese: short words, having many meanings, lack of straightforward orthography, and simple grammar. But it creates many possibilities for wordplays, e.g. for Thog, like his nale-nail-knot-not monologue. It's only a language feature.

Vatharian
2007-06-24, 06:00 PM
Sadly, I have to say, that despite fact that I'm Pole... I'm biologically allergic to alcohol. Allergy is so strong, that even 1/4th of 0.33l can of beer would kill me in pain.
I also can't stand cigarettes' smoke, it makes me sick.
Not smoking. Not drinking. And I ain't gonna go to heaven, believe me. :D

Back to DnD matter, the line in my sig about 67th level caster is true. It's an effect of 3 years of gaming with an epic-level creativity from our dm.

Morty
2007-06-27, 04:08 PM
If anyone is still reading this thread: do you have any idea how to get OoTS books in Poland without paying huge shipping costs?

Pantler
2007-06-27, 04:25 PM
Well, my friend was going to the US lately and when I asked him if he could buy some comic books for me he said it was no problem. Sadly, I spent the money on alcohol :smallsmile:

So my guess is, when your friend will be going to the US, notify the rest of us. Then we will each say who wants which book, the friend will transport it (I think it's legal :smallwink:) and we can send them to each of us form Poland. Much cheaper.

Morty
2007-06-27, 04:33 PM
Well, there are chances I'll go to England this year, so I'll be maybe able to buy the books if I'm lucky, although it's most likely I won't go. But I don't know anyone who's going to USA. OoTS books can't be found on Allegro, which means there aren't any of them in Poland.