PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat: Bond Weapon

Feuerphoenix
2016-04-21, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I created a feat for all non EKs and warlocks, who appreciate the bond weapon feature, and want to adapt it towards their character:

Weapon Bond
+1 to STR, DEX or CHA

You gain the ability, to achieve deep connection to your weapon on a magical level. While you are performing a long rest, you can use time you are not asleep (min 2h) to meditate over the weapon and establish a magic connection.

As a bonus action, you may let appear or vanish your weapon in a sub dimension, where ever it is. Also while wielding it, it can not be disarmed.

You have to be proficient with your chosen weapon. You can not form a bond with ammunition, but you can vanish it altogether with your weapon (max. 20 pieces) if it requires the ammo to work.

Feedback (as always) is very appreciated :)

Final Hyena
2016-04-21, 06:34 PM
The feat seems ok, although if it's based on the EK/Warlock why not also allow +1 Int?

My concern is that it's a smidgen weak for an entire feat. Perhaps make the weapon count as magical to match the Warlock feature as you're not going with the EK way of having 2 weapons? Another option is you can have 2, but if you only have 1 it's considered magical.

DracoKnight
2016-04-21, 09:07 PM
The feat seems ok, although if it's based on the EK/Warlock why not also allow +1 Int?

My concern is that it's a smidgen weak for an entire feat. Perhaps make the weapon count as magical to match the Warlock feature as you're not going with the EK way of having 2 weapons? Another option is you can have 2, but if you only have 1 it's considered magical.

Honestly it's not that weak.

DM: "You're in prison. All of your gear was taken."

EK, Bladelock, and Paladin with this feat: "I summon my maul and bash my way out."

DM: "The guards grab you and search you for weapons, after realizing you match the description of the king's killer."

Assassin: "My weapon isn't on me."

DM: "They arrest you anyways, and drag you to prison."

Assassin: "I make a sleight of hand check to steal their keys."

DM: *sigh* "Okay..."

Assassin: "20."

DM: *grudgingly* "You've got the keys."

Assassin: "I wait a few hours in my cell, the open the door, summon my blade, murder the guards and leave."

This is actually a pretty decent feat. :smalltongue:

Final Hyena
2016-04-21, 09:34 PM
Honestly it's not that weak.

I said a smidgen.

My recommendation was to give 2 weapons or to make them magical to be in line with the features they are based on.

Or are you saying that that would make it too strong?

DracoKnight
2016-04-21, 09:46 PM
I said a smidgen.

My recommendation was to give 2 weapons or to make them magical to be in line with the features they are based on.

Or are you saying that that would make it too strong?

Oh, see, I thought that the feat already made them magical.

And, no, I don't think it's too strong - just good. It's not quite GWM or Ritual Caster (highly underrated IMO), but it's up there with the higher end feats. I...would almost put a prereq on it - maybe 13 INT? Because you need to be smart enough to learn the ritual from someone else? (even if you're learning it from someone innately good at it, like the Bladelock, you still need to be intelligent enough to understand how the magic works)

EDIT: All in all, I think it's probably fine - I would let a player take it in one of my games.

Feuerphoenix
2016-04-22, 12:52 AM
Actually I was thinking about the same thing concerning the magic weapon and you can bond two weapons. The problem I found is, that if I write that, the feed becomes REALLY good. Not only you have a 1:1 feat that imitates pact of the chain, you even have a better version of it! (Renember it can not become disarmed!) You can choose how to make use of it (one or two weapons) plus you get an ability to make any weapon "permanent" to a Magic weapon. That is REALLY powerful in my eyes.

Final Hyena
2016-04-22, 08:13 AM
Inability to be disarmed/separated from your weapon.

or +1 stat.

I have never been in a situation where I needed the first feature, I have very frequently wanted another +1. Treating the weapon as magic would make it just a bit more useful.

Arkhios
2016-05-04, 05:47 AM
One thing that kind of bothers me with the design is that for an Eldritch Knight or Warlock of the Blade this feat does nothing, basically, and feats are technically supposed to be useful for everyone, regardless of their classes or sub-classes.

Would it be odd, imbalancing even, to grant those classes the ability to use said weapon as their respective spellcasting foci? Then it would at least have something of interest to everyone.

As of now, Eldritch Knights and Bladelocks can't use their weapons (being their schtick) as their arcane foci, unless a DM houserules it so.

Final Hyena
2016-05-04, 05:58 AM
One thing that kind of bothers me with the design is that for an Eldritch Knight or Warlock of the Blade this feat does nothing, basically, and feats are technically supposed to be useful for everyone, regardless of their classes or sub-classes.

I didn't know that was a thing? I mean Elemental Adept isn't very useful for a barbarian.
Never the less I support the idea that EK or Bladelocks should get something extra from the feat.

Arkhios
2016-05-04, 06:10 AM
I didn't know that was a thing? I mean Elemental Adept isn't very useful for a barbarian.
Never the less I support the idea that EK or Bladelocks should get something extra from the feat.

Well, alright, that was a minor oversight from my part: Clearly not all are supposed to be useful for everyone, but still, most are.