PDA

View Full Version : There's a greek-themed region in my world called Zuris. What to call its people?

Windrammer
2016-04-21, 10:35 PM
"Zurisians" is what I'm rolling with for the time being but it doesn't look or sound very good.

Zuricians maybe? What's better? Is there a better option? It doesn't have to be a natural, intuitive looking conjugation of the word, it can be something completely different so long as it sort of stems from "Zur". Zuri? idk, maybe I should just change the name of the territory

GorinichSerpant
2016-04-21, 11:10 PM
"Zurians" could work, don't have any other ideas.

kardillamo
2016-04-22, 01:04 AM
Zurites, Zurans, the Zurds, Zurists, the Zuritic people, Zurish, these are just a couple of ideas.

5a Violista
2016-04-22, 01:21 AM
So!
I found on Wikipedia a list of Greco-Roman demonyms. (Demonym is, of course, the word you use to identify the people of a place.)
Here. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adjectival_and_demonymic_forms_of_place_na mes#Regions_in_Greco-Roman_antiquity)

There's a couple in the list that end with -is. So, this is what they've done:
Chalcis => Chalcidians
Colchis => Colchians
Eleusis => Eleusians or Eleusinians
Elis => Elians
Locris => Locrians
Phocis => Phocians
Salamis => Salaminians
Thespis => Thespians
and finally, Atlantis => Atlanteans or Atlantans

So it looks like you could replace the -is with: -ians or -inians, (certain cases, with -idians, -eans, or -ans)
Thus...
Zurians or Zurinians would be what you should go with, but Zuridians, Zureans, or Zurans are also acceptable.

Balyano
2016-04-22, 07:37 AM
Well going off of greek in a way

Hellas greece (nominative)
Hellada greece (accusative)
Hellenika greek language
Hellen a greek
Hellenes greeks
Hellenas a greek man
Hellenida a greek woman
Hellenikos/Hellenike/Helleniko greek (adjective)

all derived from Helloi who were a tribe of people
they called the celts Keltoi, so maybe there is something to that -oi ending

So how about
Zuroi the people in the ethnic sense
Zuras the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (nominative)
Zurada the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (accusative)
Zurenika the language of the Zuroi
Zuren a Zuroi
Zurenes more than one Zuren (but not the people as a whole)
Zurenas a Zurenikos man
Zurenida a Zurenike woman
Zurenikos/Zurenike/Zureniko something Zur-ish in nature

Nobot
2016-04-22, 10:19 AM
-oi is the nominative plural of some masculine words. So is (among others) -a, -ai, -es.

For that reason, I would call them either Henry or Barry.

Windrammer
2016-04-22, 01:24 PM
"Zurians" could work, don't have any other ideas.

Zurites, Zurans, the Zurds, Zurists, the Zuritic people, Zurish, these are just a couple of ideas.

So!
I found on Wikipedia a list of Greco-Roman demonyms. (Demonym is, of course, the word you use to identify the people of a place.)
Here. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adjectival_and_demonymic_forms_of_place_na mes#Regions_in_Greco-Roman_antiquity)

There's a couple in the list that end with -is. So, this is what they've done:
Chalcis => Chalcidians
Colchis => Colchians
Eleusis => Eleusians or Eleusinians
Elis => Elians
Locris => Locrians
Phocis => Phocians
Salamis => Salaminians
Thespis => Thespians
and finally, Atlantis => Atlanteans or Atlantans

So it looks like you could replace the -is with: -ians or -inians, (certain cases, with -idians, -eans, or -ans)
Thus...
Zurians or Zurinians would be what you should go with, but Zuridians, Zureans, or Zurans are also acceptable.

Well going off of greek in a way

Hellas greece (nominative)
Hellada greece (accusative)
Hellenika greek language
Hellen a greek
Hellenes greeks
Hellenas a greek man
Hellenida a greek woman
Hellenikos/Hellenike/Helleniko greek (adjective)

all derived from Helloi who were a tribe of people
they called the celts Keltoi, so maybe there is something to that -oi ending

So how about
Zuroi the people in the ethnic sense
Zuras the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (nominative)
Zurada the lands enhabited by the Zuroi people (accusative)
Zurenika the language of the Zuroi
Zuren a Zuroi
Zurenes more than one Zuren (but not the people as a whole)
Zurenas a Zurenikos man
Zurenida a Zurenike woman
Zurenikos/Zurenike/Zureniko something Zur-ish in nature

I ****ing love you guys. You gave me way more than I hoped for. This is fantastic.

I may go with Zurites for the time being but all of these are in consideration. You guys are badass.

If anyone can think of some greek sounding province names to place within this region I'd love to hear that too

Balyano
2016-04-23, 04:10 AM
I ****ing love you guys. You gave me way more than I hoped for. This is fantastic.

I may go with Zurites for the time being but all of these are in consideration. You guys are badass.

If anyone can think of some greek sounding province names to place within this region I'd love to hear that too

A lazy but effective way is to start with real life greek regions and play around till you get new names.

For instance:

Attica - sounds like attic > the opposite of attic is cellar > Cellara > maybe spell it Sellera > Sellera home of the Sellenes, maybe make them moon worshipers since it sounds like Selene

Macedonia - has the word mace in it > another kind of weapon is an axe > Axedonia a northern region of warlike people

Cyclades Islands - looks like cycle > one of the synonyms for cycle is a greek loan word aeon > Aeonades islands off the east coast

Sporades Islands - sounds like sporatic > regular is an antonymn of sporatic > Regules Islands north of Sellera

Dodecanese Islands - litterally twelve islands > Dozenese Islands (dont pronounce it like dozen, pronounce the do like do in do re mi fa so la ti and pronounce the zen like in zen buddhism)

Ionia - ions are a charged atom > Atomia (again dont pronounce it like atom, have the ''to'' be like english toe)

you can do cities in a similar way

Sparta - spar as in to practice fighting > skirmish > Skirma

Corinth - Korin the cat from dragon ball hung out with yajirobe > Iagirobinth (an alternative being core > shell > Shellinth)

Rhodes (Rodos) - roads > streets > Stritos - or paths > Pathos - or boulevard > Boulevos - or lane > Lanos - or route > Routos - or course > Corsos - my vote is for Boulevos, but there is something to be said for people living in Pathos

MrZJunior
2016-04-26, 01:02 PM
The Greeks and other ancient Mediterranean people had a profussion of cities, many of which are now largely forgotten. I would look up a map of that part of the world in Ancient Greek times and look for a few you've never heard of.

Beleriphon
2016-05-06, 09:27 AM
Don't forget the Greeks had a thing for naming cities after people. Alexander the Great names something like thirty cities Alexandria, but only one of them end up famous.

JackRackham
2016-05-23, 10:20 PM
A lazy but effective way is to start with real life greek regions and play around till you get new names.

For instance:

Attica - sounds like attic > the opposite of attic is cellar > Cellara > maybe spell it Sellera > Sellera home of the Sellenes, maybe make them moon worshipers since it sounds like Selene

Macedonia - has the word mace in it > another kind of weapon is an axe > Axedonia a northern region of warlike people

Cyclades Islands - looks like cycle > one of the synonyms for cycle is a greek loan word aeon > Aeonades islands off the east coast

Sporades Islands - sounds like sporatic > regular is an antonymn of sporatic > Regules Islands north of Sellera

Dodecanese Islands - litterally twelve islands > Dozenese Islands (dont pronounce it like dozen, pronounce the do like do in do re mi fa so la ti and pronounce the zen like in zen buddhism)

Ionia - ions are a charged atom > Atomia (again dont pronounce it like atom, have the ''to'' be like english toe)

you can do cities in a similar way

Sparta - spar as in to practice fighting > skirmish > Skirma

Corinth - Korin the cat from dragon ball hung out with yajirobe > Iagirobinth (an alternative being core > shell > Shellinth)

Rhodes (Rodos) - roads > streets > Stritos - or paths > Pathos - or boulevard > Boulevos - or lane > Lanos - or route > Routos - or course > Corsos - my vote is for Boulevos, but there is something to be said for people living in Pathos

You're good at this. Might borrow some of this for the Greek-inspired region of my world.

Atarax
2016-05-24, 10:54 AM
What I would do for greek location names:

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/ancient-greek-town-names.php#.V0R4pV_3anM