PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Tablet? advice

Khedrac
2016-04-22, 07:28 AM
I am seriously considering upgrading to a new (home) hybrid computer (laptop/tablet).

I need at least a 12" screen (one of my requirements is to be able to read legal gaming pdfs at near full size on the screen with one page/screen).

Checking the reviews etc., it looks as if the main contenders are the HP Pavilion x2 12, and the HP Spectre x2 12.
I am not wedded to the idea of a detachable screen, but the x360 models come out noticeably worse in the reviews despite the desirable bigger screens.
Weight is not a huge issue as I won't be walking around that much with it (e.g. I cannot take it in to work).

The reviews I have found do seem to place these above the comparable Lenovo and Microsoft offerings for what I am after.

The HP shop look to be the cheapest way for me to buy one (or the only way for the HP Pavilion x2 12 in the UK) so the prices I am considering are:
HP Spectre x2 12-a003na £849
HP Spectre x2 12-a001na £699
HP Pavilion x2 12" £429
(I get the employee discount, £50, £50 or £70 depending on which I buy.)

These days the only gaming I seem to do is Diablo 3 (I have stopped playing World of Warcraft and Civilization 3 won't run under Windows 10) so there is a small question as to whether the graphics will support D3, but I don't need serious processing power for anything else.

The computer will be replacing an aging desktop tower mainly used for various Office applications and internet access. I will need to buy an optical media drive for it, but an external USB-c BluRay/DVD re-writer doesn't look that expensive (under £50 on Amazon).

So, I am interested in the playground's views and advice...
What comments, suggestions, alternatives or advice do you have for me?

Also would it even be worth considering attempting to take it back to Windows 7 or for such a modern machine would that be a serious error?

Flickerdart
2016-04-22, 09:38 AM
Also would it even be worth considering attempting to take it back to Windows 7 or for such a modern machine would that be a serious error?

Windows 7 won't support the "tablet" part of this. Especially on smaller monitors, a touch screen is very very useful.

Why not the Surface Pro? I have the 3 and it's amazing; the 4 is even better and the 5 will be out soon. Is it just a price thing?

Khedrac
2016-04-22, 09:41 AM
Why not the Surface Pro? I have the 3 and it's amazing; the 4 is even better and the 5 will be out soon.
I will take a look at the Surface Pro 5. I was reading the reviews and they were basically saying that apart from the screen resolution the HP machines were better than the 4 (techradar etc.).

I will forget the idea of Windows 7 totally - I did not think it was viable but it is good to have that confirmed.