PDA

View Full Version : Booming or Greenflame?

Arial Black
2016-04-22, 12:12 PM
My CoS PC has just hit level 2. She started as a fighter with TWF style using sabre & stiletto (scimitar & dagger). From the start she was designed to multiclass into warlock and thereafter be Ftr1/WarX, using hex to make TWF work.

I am going to choose prestidigitation as one of my two cantrips (for RP purposes), and I'm choosing between Booming and Greenflame blade for the other.

I already have vicious mockery (from the Devil's Tongue variant tiefling ability from SCAG), and I'll get eldritch blast when I hit Ftr1/War4 (the same time as I get the Warcaster feat).

Initially I didn't consider either SCAG cantrip, as using either denies me a bonus action off-hand attack, but then I realised that there will be rounds when I cannot or will not use my bonus action to make an off-hand attack (like when I only have one weapon in hand at the start of combat, or when I need to either cast or change the target of hex), and on those rounds I could make use of one of these two SCAG cantrips.

But which one, and why?

DracoKnight
2016-04-22, 12:40 PM
My CoS PC has just hit level 2. She started as a fighter with TWF style using sabre & stiletto (scimitar & dagger). From the start she was designed to multiclass into warlock and thereafter be Ftr1/WarX, using hex to make TWF work.

I am going to choose prestidigitation as one of my two cantrips (for RP purposes), and I'm choosing between Booming and Greenflame blade for the other.

I already have vicious mockery (from the Devil's Tongue variant tiefling ability from SCAG), and I'll get eldritch blast when I hit Ftr1/War4 (the same time as I get the Warcaster feat).

Initially I didn't consider either SCAG cantrip, as using either denies me a bonus action off-hand attack, but then I realised that there will be rounds when I cannot or will not use my bonus action to make an off-hand attack (like when I only have one weapon in hand at the start of combat, or when I need to either cast or change the target of hex), and on those rounds I could make use of one of these two SCAG cantrips.

But which one, and why?

Personally, I love both cantrips, and I could honestly recommend both for different reasons.

Green-flame blade is fun because with it's cleave effect you're hitting two targets with (basically) Extra Attack - but you only make a single attack. It's also pretty darn fun to mention that you're in a gothic horror setting using green fire! :smallbiggrin:

Booming blade I think I would recommend more highly for this particular character, however. You're in melee, and the tough monster that's the "boss" of the current room you're in is trying to get to another PC. You walk right up to him, cast booming blade, and hex. Now if he moves he takes damage, and you've also now cursed one of his ability scores.

Ultimately, I recommend picking up both - one's good for single target management, and one's good for mook slaying. Although, honestly, I recommend getting green-flame blade first via warlock, and then at fighter 1/warlock 8 grab magic initiate Sorcerer for another 1st-level spell, booming blade and shocking grasp (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?484949-I-don-t-understand-Shocking-grasp).

RulesJD
2016-04-22, 12:54 PM
Generally speaking unless you're a Monk, Rogue, or otherwise have access to an easy Disengage (Mobile feat, etc), you'll get more use out of Green Flame Blade.

NewDM
2016-04-22, 12:55 PM
Booming Blade is only good if they move or you move away. If you stay there and they stay there, it literally doesn't have any effect until you hit level 5 when the damage goes up. Most characters that use Booming Blade either get mobility as a feat (so they can walk away without opportunity attacks) or have stupidly high AC (my Blade Singer has an AC of 24 with Blade Song and Shield up).

Green-Flame Blade is good because it deals damage to two foes at once.

Edit: Ninja'd

Ashrym
2016-04-22, 01:59 PM
Neither works with the TWF style. TWF requires the attack action while both cantrips require the cast a spell action.

You would have been better off sword and shield or using a two handed weapon to go with those cantrips.

I would recommend skipping both in favor of utility cantrips.

NewDM
2016-04-22, 02:02 PM
Neither works with the TWF style. TWF requires the attack action while both cantrips require the cast a spell action.

You would have been better off sword and shield or using a two handed weapon to go with those cantrips.

I would recommend skipping both in favor of utility cantrips.

Unless you are an Eldritch Knight that can use a cantrip and get an attack in.

Arial Black
2016-04-22, 02:56 PM

I know.

As I said in the OP, it's for rounds when I cannot or will not use a bonus action to make an off-hand attack, such as when I cast or re-target hex, or in the first round of combat when I have only one weapon in hand.

Specter
2016-04-22, 03:39 PM
If you have to protect fragile PCs, Booming. If you just want extra damage, Green Flame.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-04-22, 03:42 PM
I might actually reverse the order. Take Eldrich Blast now, and grab Booming Blade when you get Warcaster-- then use it as your AoO cantrip. Turns you into a mini-Sentinel-- they can stop in their tracks, or they can eat the thunder damage.

Arial Black
2016-04-22, 04:24 PM
I might actually reverse the order. Take Eldrich Blast now, and grab Booming Blade when you get Warcaster-- then use it as your AoO cantrip. Turns you into a mini-Sentinel-- they can stop in their tracks, or they can eat the thunder damage.

I thought about that, but I want to primarily be in melee, so eldritch blast can wait.

I have vicious mockery for ranged cantrips until then. I will still have rounds where I won't get a bonus action off-hand attack, so a SCAG cantrip will still be useful from now until I get Warcaster, and remain valid after I get that feat.

Zman
2016-04-22, 10:15 PM
Booming Blade is only good if they move or you move away. If you stay there and they stay there, it literally doesn't have any effect until you hit level 5 when the damage goes up. Most characters that use Booming Blade either get mobility as a feat (so they can walk away without opportunity attacks) or have stupidly high AC (my Blade Singer has an AC of 24 with Blade Song and Shield up).

Green-Flame Blade is good because it deals damage to two foes at once.

Edit: Ninja'd

Or cast Haste on yourself and Disengage and move away every turn.

NewDM
2016-04-22, 10:25 PM
Or cast Haste on yourself and Disengage and move away every turn.

Or take 2 levels of rogue and do it without wasting a spell slot.

Zman
2016-04-22, 10:32 PM
Or take 2 levels of rogue and do it without wasting a spell slot.

And be forever two levels behind in spell progression... At the least delaying the tactic by two levels. And in my case losing that bonus action misses quickened Booming Blade in addition to likely Twinned Booming Blades.

Citan
2016-04-23, 12:30 AM

But which one, and why?
Hi! :)

Honestly, both are solid choice, so I'd say pick up both in the long road.
As to which one to pick first, depends on your role.
If you're gonna be the frontliner that takes the heat and blocks access, pick up GreenFlame Blade. Chances are you will always get at least 2 enemies packed up close to you.

If you want to be more of a vanguard that moves back and forth along the line of fight to protect allies with soft control, Booming Blade is the right one.
(Just made me think about an arcane pirateer Eldricht Knight / Arcane Trickster wielding rapier and hand crossbow, whose favorite standard move would be disabling one enemy with Booming Blade while headshooting another enemy with a bonus action Sneak Attack... Yum ;))

Arial Black
2016-04-23, 09:34 AM
The PC in question will never take levels in sorcerer or rogue, nor any class except fighter and warlock.

She will not choose abilities which tie up her bonus action, because the core crunch of this character is TWF combined with hex and the bonus action is needed for one or the other.