PDA

View Full Version : Advice and/or Suggestions

Drkaman
2016-04-22, 12:50 PM
I'm known for being indecisive when it comes to rolling RP characters. Imagine a kid in a candy store surrounded by walls of delicious sweets and he can only pick one... that's me. I am currently in the process of re-rolling due to my death in last week's D&D sesh. My interest is being pulled in 3 directions; Human Paladin, Human Monk and Tiefling Warlock. I can't play all 3 and I have no desire to multiclass... They all provide great RP opportunities and can hold their own in combat. Any advice/suggestions?

smcmike
2016-04-22, 12:52 PM
Half-teifling Paladin/monk/warlock.

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 12:55 PM
I'm known for being indecisive when it comes to rolling RP characters. Imagine a kid in a candy store surrounded by walls of delicious sweets and he can only pick one... that's me. I am currently in the process of re-rolling due to my death in last week's D&D sesh. My interest is being pulled in 3 directions; Human Paladin, Human Monk and Tiefling Warlock. I can't play all 3 and I have no desire to multiclass... They all provide great RP opportunities and can hold their own in combat. Any advice/suggestions?

Are you picking purely for you or are you looking to fill a hole in your party composition? If latter, what is the party composition?

On a side note, I'm a human paladin AND LOVE IT.

NewDM
2016-04-22, 12:57 PM
How about a beastmaster ranger that magically gets an attack with their bonus action through some feat or other? You could come up with some kind of odd gimmick like being a drow that turned good and uses scimitars.

Drkaman
2016-04-22, 01:19 PM
Are you picking purely for you or are you looking to fill a hole in your party composition? If latter, what is the party composition?

On a side note, I'm a human paladin AND LOVE IT.

I am mostly picking for me but I also try to take group composition into account. Part consists of: 2 weapon fighter, ranged fighter, cleric, and rogue assassin.

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 01:25 PM
I am mostly picking for me but I also try to take group composition into account. Part consists of: 2 weapon fighter, ranged fighter, cleric, and rogue assassin.

So you've got a frontline fighter, a ranged fighter, an in-n-out attacker and your cleric (who can do anything from support to melee I'm guessing)

That leaves you pretty free, but you are low on spellcasters, so the warlock might be an interesting mix. I'd really say go with your gut on what you'd like to do:

1)Want to be the big bad guy smasher? Paladin.
2)Want to do some sweet martial arts action? Monk (similar to your assassin a bit in ability to be an in-n-out fighter)
3)Want to do some spellcasting? Warlock.

kaoskonfety
2016-04-22, 01:36 PM
I'd be Warlocking it up, but thats mostly due to "favourite class design" syndrome. I wish more of them had the "pick your favorite 2 flavours and apply the sprinkles of your choice". Also deals with demons gets you SO MUCH FIRE!

Drkaman
2016-04-22, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The other question plaguing me specifically related to Paladin is whether to go great weapon IE great sword or maul with great weapon master or go polearm with polearm master and great weapon master or sentinel.

BiPolar
2016-04-22, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The other question plaguing me specifically related to Paladin is whether to go great weapon IE great sword or maul with great weapon master or go polearm with polearm master and great weapon master or sentinel.

I love the GWM, but I also have no other frontline fighters so it works well with me. Since you've got one in the two weapon fighter,I'd go with polearm and sentinel.