PDA

View Full Version : Hinjo's Junk?!?

Emperor Ing
2007-06-23, 05:11 PM
OK iv heard a lot of stuff about "going to hinjo's junk" or "in hinjo's junk", junk this, junk that, so what exactly IS HINJOS JUNK!? Im so confused!!!:smallfrown:

MinusInnocence
2007-06-23, 05:16 PM
A junk is a type of Chinese boat. In America, however, and possibly the rest of the English-speaking West "junk" is an euphemism for genitalia.

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 05:18 PM
It's his boat. There is "plot" meaning, (they are going to his junk now")

But also (wikipedia)

# junk, slang for male genitals, specifically testicles only.
# junk, slang for the buttocks of a female.

Put those definitions in place of "junks" in many conversations, and you will know why is Belkar laughing :smallwink:

EDIT: Dang, ninjed.

Douglas
2007-06-23, 05:19 PM
Hinjo's Junk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html)

teratorn
2007-06-23, 05:29 PM
OK iv heard a lot of stuff about "going to hinjo's junk" or "in hinjo's junk", junk this, junk that, so what exactly IS HINJOS JUNK!? Im so confused!!!:smallfrown:

Well, americans are easily amused with names for genitalia, so when in doubt that's my take on the joke. A few other I've "learned"

uglies (from "bumping uglies" fame)
wang (thanks to happyturtle I was able to find Belkar's)

Megalomaniac2
2007-06-23, 05:33 PM
You could always try reading the comic. Just a suggestion.

JoshuaZ
2007-06-23, 06:07 PM
You could always try reading the comic. Just a suggestion.

If you didn't know the meaning of the word I don't think you'd stand a very good chance of figuring it out simply from reading the comic.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-23, 06:13 PM
Well, americans are easily amused with names for genitalia, so when in doubt that's my take on the joke. A few other I've "learned"

uglies (from "bumping uglies" fame)
wang (thanks to happyturtle I was able to found Belkar's)

American humour: Take British humour, strip away everything but the crude parts and censor the sexual stuff.:smalltongue:

CardinalFang
2007-06-23, 06:34 PM
American humour: Take British humour, strip away everything but the crude parts and censor the sexual stuff.:smalltongue:

Also, add more fart jokes. :smalltongue:

jeffh
2007-06-23, 06:37 PM
If you didn't know the meaning of the word I don't think you'd stand a very good chance of figuring it out simply from reading the comic.

In panel 3 of the strip linked in post #4 (#418), someone points to the boat and says it's Hinjo's junk. That seems pretty clear to me.

(And it's pretty obvious from the kind of jokes being made for the rest of the strip what the slang meaning is.)

teratorn
2007-06-23, 06:39 PM

Ahh, now you're getting into the good stuff. OOTS doesn't have enough of those.

EDIT Well, the meaning is not that obvious, in fact I just learned I was wrong. I guessed it was slang for male anatomy, but I guessed wrong on what part.

Recursive
2007-06-23, 11:54 PM
You are both neglecting the crucial role played by booger jokes.

Clearly you hate us for our freedom.

PaladinFreak
2007-06-24, 07:03 AM
Sadly, that is true. Even though I am American through and through, I prefer British humor. There is actually a fair amount of that going around my family and friends.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-06-24, 07:12 AM
don't forget the slapstick...We Americans love our slapstick...probably more so than the Brits. That and other forms of physical humor, but those are kinda hard to pul off without movement and sometimes take way to many panels to capture well in a comic.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-24, 07:35 AM
hehe...it all makes sense now!

(yes im american)

Peacehammer
2007-06-24, 09:33 AM
A junk is a type of Chinese boat. In America, however, and possibly the rest of the English-speaking West "junk" is an euphemism for genitalia.

Well, I happen to live in part of the English speaking world, England in fact, and I thought that Junk, while being a chinese form of boat, was also a word for stuff you need to throw out, but still has some use in it.

Thus junk shop, is like a second hand shop with curious things in it.

Or junk mail - like spam.

Oh dear, the level of this has gone down...

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-24, 10:31 AM
You are both neglecting the crucial role played by booger jokes.

Clearly you hate us for our freedom.

No, we hate you because Burns stole the $Trillion bill :smalltongue:.

DreadSpoon
2007-06-24, 02:01 PM
There's a sociology theory that states that the more a culture values something, the more synonyms and slang they have for that thing in their language.

Do you know which things America has the most words for?

Cars, money, and sex.

Demented
2007-06-24, 02:11 PM
Actually, we have the most words for:

Drugs, Genitals and Races. So there! :smallyuk:

Alysar
2007-06-24, 02:21 PM
I'm an American and I think that Chef, Red Dwarf, Yes Minister, Blackadder, and the British version of Whose Line is it Anyway are some of the funniest shows ever.

Btw, I definitely don't like the US version of WLiiA.

Edit: How could I forget Monty Python? I am deeply shamed.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-24, 02:23 PM
I'm an American and I think that Chef, Red Dwarf, Yes Minister, Blackadder, and the British version of Whose Line is it Anyway are some of the funniest shows ever.

Btw, I definitely don't like the US version of WLiiA.

Edit: How could I forget Monty Python? I am deeply shamed.

I've never even heard of Chef or Whose Line is it Anyway? :smalleek:

ThorFluff
2007-06-24, 02:26 PM
The word Junk stems from the village Iunk, in spain which during the late roman era tried to produce Linnen, instead of just shipping the flax, the linnen itself just fell apart and "Iunkarian Linnen" became synonym with anything of insanely low quality. It survived through sailors slang and became "Junk" for short.

Also this, which so happens to be what they are really refering to in the comic, is a "Junk".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/SongJunk.jpg

So the two actual meanings are Garbage and Chinese Sailboat ;)

Revlid
2007-06-24, 02:50 PM
So the two actual meanings are Garbage and Chinese Sailboat ;)

Which makes less sense than Genitalia and Chinese Sailboat, given all the double entendres about its size, and the fact that Lien is "holding Hinjo's junk". Garbage, on the other hand, doesn't work particularly well as the subject of a double-entendre.

delguidance
2007-06-24, 02:50 PM
Don't listen to them. Junk in this instance is referring to heroin. Hinjo is riding the white dragon.

Woof
2007-06-24, 03:10 PM
There's a sociology theory that states that the more a culture values something, the more synonyms and slang they have for that thing in their language.

Do you know which things America has the most words for?

Cars, money, and sex.

Eh, the only applicable sociology theory I'm aware of says that the amount of euphemisms, metaphors, slang words etc. for something depends on how much of a taboo that particular action / item / whatever is. So you'd have more words like "junk" in a conservative country with strict moral standards.

Sean92k
2007-06-24, 03:37 PM
How do you not know of hinjos junk? Everyone knows hinjos junk, many people have ridden it aswell. There is a great vantage point on hinjos junk, take a ride on Hinjos junk, it'll blow your mind. You would think hinjos junk is a very fast ride but you do have the option to slow it down, and sit and enjoy the majesty of hinjos junk. Its a rough ride sometimes though, you'll need to hold on tight if your gonna ride hinjos junk. But most of the time riding hinjos junk is a smooth ride.

I'll stop now:smallbiggrin:

TheNovak
2007-06-24, 03:48 PM
Hey, you don't need to apologize for your admiration of Hinjo's junk. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a little in awe of it. I mean, the sheer size! My junk isn't nearly that size; mostly, I just use it to catch fish.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-06-24, 04:35 PM
My junk isn't nearly that size; mostly, I just use it to catch fish.

So, you're saying you used your junk to become a master .... ok, no, I won't finish that. Upholding forum standards, and all.

Squark
2007-06-24, 04:39 PM
> <

All I have to say.

Cywar
2007-06-24, 04:52 PM
So...
Hinjos junk smells like fish...?

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-24, 05:02 PM
American humor is degenerating fast.

TheNovak
2007-06-24, 05:56 PM
So, you're saying you used your junk to become a master .... ok, no, I won't finish that. Upholding forum standards, and all.

Hey, it's actually pretty easy. Just put your junk in the water! But be careful, 'cause if you move your junk around, it'll scare the fish. You've got to try and keep your junk in one spot, so they get used to its presence and start biting.

Oh, and you Brits don't get to act all high-and-mighty. You're the jerks responsible for Old Gregg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPWDglTboI).

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-24, 09:04 PM
Oh, and you Brits don't get to act all high-and-mighty. You're the jerks responsible for Old Gregg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPWDglTboI).

Hey, I'm an American, and I still think American humor is sinking in quality.

Jawajoey
2007-06-24, 09:39 PM
Hey, American humor is fine. As long as you don't look to cable television for it.

Let's see, American humor vs. British. More farts, fewer men dressed as women, more slapstick/physical comedy.

British comedy contains more wit. Americans appreciate wit just as much as the British, they they just don't come up with it as often, probably because Americans are willing to settle for the easier jokes, and Hollywood is too happy to oblige with low-grade comedy.

British, American, Canadian: all great humor, with slightly different styles. There are some bad eggs, and bits that don't successfully cross the cultural divide, but in the end, it's all just good comedy.

Basalock
2007-06-24, 10:11 PM
If its funny its humor,who cares where it came from:smallannoyed:

Scarab83
2007-06-24, 10:18 PM
If its funny its humor,who cares where it came from:smallannoyed:

America-bashing foreigners. :smallwink:

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-06-24, 10:26 PM
Hey, it's actually pretty easy. Just put your junk in the water! But be careful, 'cause if you move your junk around, it'll scare the fish. You've got to try and keep your junk in one spot, so they get used to its presence and start biting.

Someone once told me a 'horror' story from the lake...he was getting friendly with a girl and they had got a bit undressed...at some point in the future, in the water while undressed...what they were doing doesn't matter but isn't hard to guess...

Then something happened...apparently one of the fish (he said it was either a big perch or a small catfish) was fairly bold and kept swimming close buy...their toes had been nibbled alot, but then he screamed...apparently, one of the larger fish tried to nibble his 'actual' junk...we didn't ask to see the scars from the small fish teeth, but he was walking funny and was obviously in pain.

so...if you wanna bait fish, leave your junk out of it...ouch...

Nomrom
2007-06-24, 10:28 PM

Hey, don't be dissing Old Gregg the Funky Merman. He's pretty funny. And that's not even the whole episode. Watch it (http://stage6.divx.com/The-Mighty-Boosh/video/1268752/The-Mighty-Boosh---S02E05---Old-Gregg-The-Funky-Merman) if you haven't. It gets even weirder.

TheNovak
2007-06-25, 11:00 PM
Heh, I've seen it. The more ya watch it, the funnier it gets; the first time through, it was just creepy, but I was laughing a bit the second. Still, the point I was making is that weird fish-dudes with magical manginas are, in my mind, just as low-brow as an American fart joke; Old Gregg's just a more abstract concept.

And I wouldn't say that American humor's failing. It's just that those who appreciate it have been divided into two groups: those who prefer Jon Stewart, and those who prefer Larry the Cable Guy. And since a lot of folks who prefer Larry are also people who voted for, uh, certain politicians whom the rest of the world (and, three years too late, most of the United States) hate, it probably reflects badly on our culture as a whole.

Guh. Tylenol PM making head fuzzy, hard to articulate thoughts. Basically, American humor, represented by folks like Larry the goddamned Cable Guy, is looked down on because A) it's a symbol of the political divide in this country and the slender majority that kept a widely despised leader in power, and B) it really sucks.

But as long as we've got Jon Stewart on the air, I think we're okay.

Nomrom
2007-06-25, 11:06 PM
That is true. The first time I saw I was seriously creeped out. Now I could probably quote the whole thing from memory.
And I understand the point the you weere making now.

Tharr
2007-06-25, 11:07 PM
Maybe now Hinjos Junk will be 469 the next issue number that is coming.
Belkar is 469 and sent people for his junk and V is gone hiding.

Ralfarius
2007-06-25, 11:30 PM
Don't listen to them. Junk in this instance is referring to heroin. Hinjo is riding the white dragon.
And lo, the thread did deliver.

Personally, I'm surprised Hinjo is managing with that much Junk in his system.

Uzraid
2007-06-27, 11:01 AM
British humo(u)r is better than American humor?

Two words:

Dad's Army.

U

MagFlare
2007-06-28, 06:19 AM
American humor is degenerating fast.

Easy, now. Luminaries such as Shakespeare and Chaucer are considered among the greatest English-language writers ever, and they weren't above busting out the occasional wang- or fart-themed joke.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-28, 06:24 AM
Easy, now. Luminaries such as Shakespeare and Chaucer are considered among the greatest English-language writers ever, and they weren't above busting out the occasional wang- or fart-themed joke. And hey, weren't they a couple of your folks? :smallwink:

They didn;t base their career on it though.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-28, 06:27 AM
What happened? I just tried to get a joke, it was exlained to me, than I started the 3rd (right?) American-British war. :confused:

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-28, 06:29 AM
What happened? I just tried to get a joke, it was exlained to me, than I started the 3rd (right?) American-British war. :confused:

I only know of one.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-28, 06:29 AM
American Revolution, War of 1812, I think im missing something

MagFlare
2007-06-28, 06:35 AM
They didn;t base their career on it though.

And yet they didn't consider themselves above it, either.

I'm not suggesting that Gallagher's a comic genius over here. I'm just saying that those who do happen to be comic geniuses can get away with more than a few wang or fart jokes and still be in good company.

Rad
2007-06-28, 06:39 AM
:cool: Wow... English speakers at war... it is very very funny when you cannot tell what they are arguing over :smallsmile:
All in all, all humor (humour?) is going down since the tendency is to rather replicate/remake successful things than making up new one. It s just getting old.

BTW: reading the divide of American humor between those two guys was educational... if I only knew who they were :smallbiggrin:

Ciao

Emperor Ing
2007-06-28, 06:41 AM
:furious: WAR!!!!

errr...of words...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-28, 07:29 AM
Let's see if I can head off this war with a few well places Puns...

Since the Battle of Azure City is over, where will Our Heroes go next, and will Hinjo's Junk affect the thrust of the the adventure? Will Haley be able to use Hinjo's junk to fight off the Pirate Queen? Or will Hinjo and Roy use Hinjo's suprisingly long and wide junk to ram their way through a blocade?

In fact, is the next adventure even a pirate adventure? Could it be that Hinjo's junk is purely a McGuffin, and Hinjo's junk ends up unused, lonely and ignored by all but Lien. Since Hinjo has never used his junk before, as his uncle expressly forbade anyone from touching what was then his junk, does Hinjo even know how to use his junk to the best effect?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Emperor Ing
2007-06-28, 07:34 AM
:smalleek: You took the words right out of my mouth, you sick perverted bastard! :smallbiggrin: