PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to get the most out of a weapon or fighting style

Krazzman
2016-04-22, 02:47 PM
Hello again.

In my games I have run into quite a problem. And this can actually be useful for further character concepts I have or advice I could give my party.

What are (the most) optimal builds or ways to build/classes/feats for the following weapons/fighting styles:

Quarterstaff
Dagger
Punching Dagger or other similar weapons
Unarmed (or Unarmored)
Claws
Natural Attacks
One-Handed
"Sword" and Shield
Support (either way)
Ace up the sleeve
Double Weapons
Two Weapon Fighting (see Houserules)
Two Handed Weapons
Reach weapons
Crossbows
Guns
Thrown Weapons
Aquatic campaign

A few houserules that we accumulated for quite some time now:
Feats:
Monks, Brawlers and TWF: It's changed to -2 to hit but get another attack with the same bonuses as an offhand attack (can be the same attack but has only half str or dex bonus to damage).
New Feat: Ambidexterity; Prereq: Dex 13, Flurry or TWF; Gain no penalty for TWFing or Flurrying (revoking the -2 to hit). Offhand attacks now deal the same as main hand. +1d10 blunt damage when you hit with the main hand attack and the corresponding offhand attack.

Vital Strike: All feats rolled into one, unlocking everytime you meet the prereqs.
Other feat chains will be condensed if I spot them being to clunky or too much investment for too little gain.

Equipment:
Automatic Bonus Progression in play.
Weapon Crystals available and with other effects than the ones in the MIC on a case by case basis (just introduced it in the current campaign)
Using seerows weapon crafting system (in the next campaign, found it sadly after starting the one we are in now)[in short basic: you have points, pay points for categories, profs and stats, get Bonus points for grade which is Common, Good, Exceptional and Masterwork]

Magic:
Unearthed Arcana Spellpoints. (My players are new or not versed in the game far enough to exploit it, gives them a good boost)

Races:
Still in conceptual phase: I am thinking about reworking every race in ARG to have 15 Racial points. (Except Gnomes, since they are banned as a race for now)

I believe One handed is probably best on a gish or someone that needs one hand free for (whatever, I don't know).
Two Handed weapons are quite easy too but I only ever use the Falchion on my current chars. (Inquisitor and Paladin, just love that weapon)

For the rest... I have some clues but I just don't know. Read about quite effective Rogues that use knives or good builds that use Monks flurry for other weapons than Unarmed strikes.
And the biggest problem is probably the sources available to me/us, as we have most of the time while playing no access to the internet and as such use the hardcover books as sources.
Avaiable are: CRB, APG, UM, UC, ARG, ACG, Blood of Angels, Blood of Fiends, Blood of the Moon, Blood of the Night, Pirates of the Inner Sea, Gods and Magic, Pathfinder Chronicles: Golarion Kampagnenwelt and Inner Sea World Guide. (For Monsters: Bestiary 1-4).
Unchained is used in certain areas but not available (since it couldn't be ordered last time I was in my FLGS) the same counts for Path of War.

Psyren
2016-04-22, 08:56 PM
I don't know that there is a most optimal for any of these. We can come up with some workable builds for all of them though.

For Quarterstaff I'd either use a Staff Magus, Brawler, or Unchained Monk + Ascetic Style.