PDA

View Full Version : My character lost his world, what to do now?

Haveatya
2016-04-22, 03:33 PM
TL;Dr the king killed my knight's entire family because he is backing the people the party is fighting and I sent word to them about the threat. I didn't know the king was involved at the time but just that he they need to be careful because I was identified. I'm not all too sure how to take this. I suppose I just kill the bad guys and then him yea? I am just not sure. I'm supposed to follow my lord but he killed my family...

Fable Wright
2016-04-22, 03:40 PM
In most situations where you've lost a world, the best course of action is to conquer a new one. If a new world cannot be found, instead rip the world out from someone who's wronged you. If you are incapable of doing so, we at Asmodecorp offer very reasonable interest rates to aspiring world conquerors; no down payment, and a 90-day money back guarantee.

Alternatively, find a new lord more worthy of your skills and work with him to take down your old one, but that's just less fun.

Gildedragon
2016-04-22, 03:44 PM
TL;Dr the king killed my knight's entire family because he is backing the people the party is fighting and I sent word to them about the threat. I didn't know the king was involved at the time but just that he they need to be careful because I was identified. I'm not all too sure how to take this. I suppose I just kill the bad guys and then him yea? I am just not sure. I'm supposed to follow my lord but he killed my family...
I'm sorry I didn't understand the king's motivation.
First things first:
Your knight doesn't know who did the slaughtering so that is a priority. Find out who it was. Once you know there are a few routes you can take.
A) you can hunt down the killer (the king) and kill him
B) you can expose the king's deeds and bring him down, give him a lawful execution
C) you can get some payback and destroy the king: slaughter his family, destroy his wealth, bring down his kingdom, and at long last, cripple him, reveal your vengeance and let him live so that he cannot end his own life.

Eisenheim
2016-04-22, 04:52 PM
Depends on the narrative logic of your gameworld

Chivalric Romance: expose the king's perfidy with an accusation in front of the whole court and slay him in a righteous duel.

Gritty, high action: cut a bloody swathe of vengeance across the kingdom until the king and everyone who continues to support him are dead.

Gritty, low action: bide your time and betray him when's vulnerable and alone, never tell a soul.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-22, 05:15 PM
No, it's personal now. You kill his family. Show him their heads before you kill him too.

Also, this is why you don't give your characters families.

Admiral Squish
2016-04-22, 05:39 PM

Are you kidding? This is exactly why you SHOULD give your characters families. I see so many characters that just exist in a vacuum, with no actual connections to the world. Either they're 'hard-boiled lone wolf' types or they had something and then lost it in their backstory, but they're never really part of the world they adventure in. This is SO much more interesting than that.

Coidzor
2016-04-22, 05:48 PM
Are you kidding? This is exactly why you SHOULD give your characters families. I see so many characters that just exist in a vacuum, with no actual connections to the world. Either they're 'hard-boiled lone wolf' types or they had something and then lost it in their backstory, but they're never really part of the world they adventure in. This is SO much more interesting than that.

The first 10 or so times. Then it gets old, murdering people for kidnapping or murdering or raping or murderaping your family.

Then you play Eclipse Phase or something where your family comes pre-murdered or worse.

Become a living Familicide spell in black armor with horns and spikes. Dedicate to the god of revenge or destruction or what have you.

Lord Raziere
2016-04-22, 06:13 PM
The first 10 or so times. Then it gets old, murdering people for kidnapping or murdering or raping or murderaping your family.

Then you play Eclipse Phase or something where your family comes pre-murdered or worse.

My solution is to generally make characters who hate their family. Then you can cheer when the GM kills them, or kill them yourself when the GM decides to make them enemies to fight. either way its still in character and you win.

Whyrocknodie
2016-04-22, 06:14 PM
Put in a formal grievance that you're not pleased with the work/life balance, and point out that the king had your family killed. Suggest a suitable resolution, such as some compassionate leave and a formal apology, with an understanding that the king will not continue killing employee loved ones (for example).

On the kings next birthday you should just write "from Mr Knight" instead of "love from Mr Knight" as well, unless he's apologised of course.

Oh, and get a new family if you must - but this time make sure they're more capable of resisting being wiped out by the king.

Kish
2016-04-22, 06:20 PM
The king is apparently thoroughly evil, since he kills innocent people for being related to his enemies (enemies who don't realize they're acting against him, if I understand correctly). That being the case, for any character but a particular kind of Lawful Evil character, "kill him" is the obvious step; if you're good or neutral such an evil lord needs to be stopped, if you're evil there's no reason to leave an enemy alive.

As far as where roleplaying takes him from here, that's up to you. It's rather unfortunate you boiled it down quite so much; I get the impression the character in question is very Lawful and didn't believe in questioning his lord before this, but I'm just guessing.

The Fury
2016-04-22, 06:35 PM

Oh, absolutely! However, with so many potential story ideas that can come with a character having a family having them all killed off by their enemy is sort of lame. It comes off as a bit lazy from a storyteller's perspective, and it doesn't make the villain come off as that bright.

So you have a loyal knight in your service that's unfortunately in opposition to one of your secret allies? The best solution you can come up with is kill his family, driving him to a point where there's nothing left to manipulate him or threaten him with? Right.

RazorChain
2016-04-22, 08:52 PM
No, it's personal now. You kill his family. Show him their heads before you kill him too.

No it is only bad GM's that kill PC's families all the time.

Currently I'm running a game where one of the PC's family is in a merchant war against another bourgeois merchant family. This has produced hilarious results and good fun, with blackmailing, caravans being attacked, warehouses broken into and lots of drama. Of course the PC in question has now fallen in love with the daughter of the rival merchant......his father will not be pleased.

So if the player had never made the Boerio family and the rival Umberto family then this fun would never have happended. And even though we are playing dark and gritty fantasy, the events in Prospero (the PC's hometown) are always played in a soap opera style and gives a bit of a comedic relief.

Sure I have killed PC's families and done a few kidnappings and even turned loved ones to the dark side but those things should be done sparingly as they indeed become tiresome if done too often.

SirBellias
2016-04-22, 09:31 PM
Go Old Stoneface on him. Lead a rebellion, take over the capital, march out to the square dragging the king behind you, explain why he's guilty to the crowd, execute him on the spot, and go down in history as a regicide and all around not nice person. No more kings.

Haveatya
2016-04-22, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. My Knight is the very true Knight type. Follows everything to the letter, it works out with our current party comp of cleric, paly, and wizard. He's similar to a barristan selmy type. Anyhow, I'm not 100% sure that they are dead but the Kings men certainly burnt that place to the ground and haven't heard of my family since. How could someone with such a code directly work against the king...? :L

Coidzor
2016-04-23, 12:10 AM
Generally speaking, your master betraying you and becoming your enemy means that you're not bound to him anymore, so oaths and loyalty are nullified.

Be a pretty pathetic character otherwise.

RazorChain
2016-04-23, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the responses. My Knight is the very true Knight type. Follows everything to the letter, it works out with our current party comp of cleric, paly, and wizard. He's similar to a barristan selmy type. Anyhow, I'm not 100% sure that they are dead but the Kings men certainly burnt that place to the ground and haven't heard of my family since. How could someone with such a code directly work against the king...? :L

The only thing it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Killing innocent people is an evil, unlawful act and then perpetrator must be brought to justice, even if he is the king. The king is the servant of the people, sworn to protect them and uphold the law.

What did Ser Barristan Selmy do when his honor was slighted and he was cast aside. He found himself another cause to serve, a cause that was against his former liege.

An Lawful good man can seek revenge, it is the way he goes about it that makes him lawful good.
A lawful good man may go against the laws if the laws are unjust or if he goes against a tyrant that flouts the law. Rebellions are always against the law but are the only way to stop the reign of an tyrant.

Satinavian
2016-04-23, 02:12 AM
Feudality goes (in theory, heavily simplified) like this :

The vassal follows the orders to the liege lord and lends his fighting sthrength to his causes
The liege lord in return protects his vassals and their families using all this combined strength.

Honor does not compel you to follow your king anymore if he kills your family (except when your family members betrayed the king in the first place. Then it gets difficult and you could probably argue both ways). Honor compels you instead to seek revenge for this betrayal.

Hawksteel
2016-04-23, 02:33 AM
If they really are dead the GM could have their ghost/s haunt you demanding you avenge them. Or say their spirits cant rest or pass on until you have righted this horrendous evil.

hymer
2016-04-23, 03:27 AM
This is all very Gladiator. You could go the Maximum Decimus Meridius route: Despair -> partial recovery -> anger -> finding the means to vengeance -> realizing there's more at stake than your private vengeance -> kill the bastard.

SirBellias
2016-04-23, 10:32 AM
Revenge is nice, but usually for lawful good types, it should be within the bounds of just law. If the law isn't just (as the king isn't) then you are within your rights to change it. Build the just law, gain the people's support, and execute him for his crimes. With an axe. No more kings. Especially ones that murder families.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-23, 12:13 PM

Every time I've seen it done, it's the first and last time they're mentioned, with the GM simply declaring the bad guy killed them all and did something nasty to them. When the GM really puts on his thinking cap, he might use them for a contrived moral choice ("oh no, kill your family or the bad guy wins, what a travesty etc etc"), but that's about as far as it goes. A character's family has so much potential story-wise, but it's rarely taken anywhere beyond being slaughtered for cheap shock value.

I'd agree with you if I saw deeper story interactions that weren't obvious manifestations of the GM's schadenfreude directed at the players. Even an uncreative GM could use family as vehicles to deliver a quest hook or two; just have family members ask the PC to do a quest, or even communicate with him now and then. A simple letter to the effect of "Hi <PC_Name>, it's been so long, how are you doing? Our little <FamilyChild_Name> just started said his first words! Please do write back to us about your adventures, so we know you're doing well!" could do a lot of work in terms of both world-building and encouraging character development. But that doesn't happen. The way GMs treat them, your character's family might as well be a bunch of mannequins strapped to a time-bomb in their hometown, which your character signed a contract declaring that he's supposed to care about them.

Jay R
2016-04-23, 12:26 PM
FIRST, decide if you want to play a knight whose family has been killed by his king.

If you don't, then walk away from the game.

If you do, then decide what would be the most fun way to play a knight who has lost his family. Remember that when Barristan was betrayed and kicked off the King's Guard, he went overseas and joined that king's enemy.

This is a great opportunity to invent a new approach for your character, since you can justify pretty much anything - a sworn vengeance, an alignment change, turning his coat, etc.

But in any case, talk to the DM first. You'll feel really silly playing out your revenge or walking away from the game if it turns out that the king actually protected your family from what happened there.

SirBellias
2016-04-23, 12:34 PM
A simple letter to the effect of "Hi <PC_Name>, it's been so long, how are you doing? Our little <FamilyChild_Name> just started said his first words! Please do write back to us about your adventures, so we know you're doing well!" could do a lot of work in terms of both world-building and encouraging character development.

This is something I've always wanted to incorporate into a game. It was one of the most interesting mechanics of the first Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles game, and I have been itching to do it ever since I played through it. Letters from family just makes it seem like the characters have an actual place in the world, and that they have a stake in it. Just because the character's family isn't going to be directly affected by the monsters of the next town over doesn't mean they should be allowed to exist in the same world as them.

ATHATH
2016-04-23, 04:58 PM
I recommend revealing the evidence that you have against the king to the public and demanding an appropriate punishment.

After that, go get a Cleric to ressurect your family and apologize to them for letting them die, and go serve your new king. You might also want to investigate the people that your former king told you to fight- they might not be as bad as you were told they were.

Also, Red Fel, Red Fel, Red Fel.

goto124
2016-04-23, 10:22 PM
The way GMs treat them, your character's family might as well be a bunch of mannequins strapped to a time-bomb in their hometown, which your character signed a contract declaring that he's supposed to care about them.

That is EXACTLY how I feel about family members. But instead of willing signing a contract, some guy took my fingerprint while I was sleeping and now I'm stuck with no way out.

"So why should I bother about the-"*gets slapped*
"HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST THAT! They're family!"
"Oh I dunno, maybe I share more blood with my party than anyone in my 'family'? The 'family' that just appears out of nowhere for the sake of being a damsel in distress?"

Remember that "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb".

One of my PCs has an entire family based around this idea. An utterly evil/stupid/whatever family that he has to take care of only because he'll lose all his powers if he does anything to them. Yes, he's a paladin. No, his code ("you call that a code?") doesn't make much sense.

Really, why not at least make the family members recurring NPCs? People I can actually interact and build relationships with? Could go all the way and have the party be made of family members ("This orc? She's adopted and very much a part of the family! As is the gelatinous cube")!

It's why family members IRL are held with much importance and respect - the people, being family, have been interacting and living through thick and thin for many years. Don't strip that away.

Fable Wright
2016-04-24, 12:48 AM
"Oh I dunno, maybe I share more blood with my party than anyone in my 'family'?"

And now I'm wondering if that could be literally true. I mean, has it ever really been established how Cure spells work? That conjured flesh is all coming from the same source...

Does explain why most parties all devolve into the same murderhobo mix after a while... hmm...

RazorChain
2016-04-24, 12:59 AM
Every time I've seen it done, it's the first and last time they're mentioned, with the GM simply declaring the bad guy killed them all and did something nasty to them. When the GM really puts on his thinking cap, he might use them for a contrived moral choice ("oh no, kill your family or the bad guy wins, what a travesty etc etc"), but that's about as far as it goes. A character's family has so much potential story-wise, but it's rarely taken anywhere beyond being slaughtered for cheap shock value.

I'd agree with you if I saw deeper story interactions that weren't obvious manifestations of the GM's schadenfreude directed at the players. Even an uncreative GM could use family as vehicles to deliver a quest hook or two; just have family members ask the PC to do a quest, or even communicate with him now and then. A simple letter to the effect of "Hi <PC_Name>, it's been so long, how are you doing? Our little <FamilyChild_Name> just started said his first words! Please do write back to us about your adventures, so we know you're doing well!" could do a lot of work in terms of both world-building and encouraging character development. But that doesn't happen. The way GMs treat them, your character's family might as well be a bunch of mannequins strapped to a time-bomb in their hometown, which your character signed a contract declaring that he's supposed to care about them.

This is because a lot of Game masters don't realize the potential of PC's families and backstories. I tend to base my entire campaigns or at least large sidequests on backstories. This is a sure way to get the PC's involved and you don't have to kill them off. Of course the players very often come up with old tropes but I just think it is my job to put a new spin to them.

Like one of my PC's has a revenge story where a bad guy killed his master. Well then you just tie the nemesis to the main plot. Another has an unkown father story: find a suitable canditate that make things interesting.

Or like in my earlier post

No it is only bad GM's that kill PC's families all the time.

Currently I'm running a game where one of the PC's family is in a merchant war against another bourgeois merchant family. This has produced hilarious results and good fun, with blackmailing, caravans being attacked, warehouses broken into and lots of drama. Of course the PC in question has now fallen in love with the daughter of the rival merchant......his father will not be pleased.

So if the player had never made the Boerio family and the rival Umberto family then this fun would never have happended. And even though we are playing dark and gritty fantasy, the events in Prospero (the PC's hometown) are always played in a soap opera style and gives a bit of a comedic relief.

Sure I have killed PC's families and done a few kidnappings and even turned loved ones to the dark side but those things should be done sparingly as they indeed become tiresome if done too often.

Every PC should be encouraged to have family and friends and a background. Nobody exists in a vaccum

For example:

Player1: My character was brought up on a desert planet as a farmer, it was hard life. He is looking for something more, he wants to become a pilot of a spaceship and trains on his lansdspeeder and shoots gerbils. In his free time he collects junk and fixes it, so he can fix things like droids and stuff. He has good use for it in the desert where it is difficult to obtain new parts so things need to be fixed.

He had relatively normal upbringing but he has some mystical powers he does not know about. He is just over 170cm with short blond hair and blue eyes. He is like typical young man who thinks he can do anything, a little naive and impatient.

Game Master: What about family and acquaintances?

Player1: He grew up with his aunt and uncle who own the farm. A friend of his father named Ben put him in foster there because his father is a very bad man and could have exploited his mystical powers. He also has a sister he has never met, actually he does not know that he has the sister because his uncle never spoke about her or his father. He has relatively good relationship with his uncle and his aunt but he is a bit frustrated to work on the farm and eager to experience new things.

GM: What is the name of the character?

Player1: Luke Skywalker

GM: Ok sounds like a decent background. The adventure starts with you find a droid .......

Player2: Ok my character had a bad childhood and he was involved with criminals, in recent years he smuggled illegal goods between planets on his own spaceship. The spaceship is a freighter and is a bit shabby but he has modified it so it's damn fast.

Some years ago he rescued a wookie from slaves and in return the wookie has worked as a co-pilot and he is very loyal to him. He calls wookie Chewbacca. He might not be unlucky but he is very often in the wrong place at the wrong time and has a catch phrase "I have a bad feelin about this". His last mission did not go well and he had to eject freight from his spaceship to avoid being caught so he owes a lot of money to a crime boss called Jabba. Right now his goal is to make money to repay the crime boss who has put the bounty on him.

He is a handsome man with brown hair around 180 cm tall, maybe just over 30 years old. He may be a bit greedy but not a bad guy and very loyal to his friends. He always wears a heavy blaster in his belt and is fairly quick with it.

GM: He has no friends or enemies?

Playerr2: yes Jabba the crime boss has set quite high sum as a bounty so he is hunted by a dangerous bounty hunter. He also has a gambler friend who called Lando that lives on another planet, in fact he won his spaceship from Lando in a game of luck. The name of the character is Han Solo.

GM: Great. Not to sound cliché but you start in a cantina in spaceport called Mos Eisly looking for well paid job.

How would Star Wars been if character creation had been like

Player1: I'm playing a Jedi, he has a blue lightsaber and he's a badass! He has damn good stats, cool feats and calls himself Luke Skywalker.

GM: Ok, fine

Player2: I'm playing a smuggler that has totally awesome spaceship, the fastest in the whole galaxy. He has heavy blaster in his belt like a gunslinger and is lightning fast! He calls himself Han Solo

GM: hmm .... I do not really have much to build on so you start in a bar on a desert planet. There is a man there who has a job for you. He offers you 1000 credits to retrieve freight that was stolen from him by tusken raiders

Player2: 1500 credits and we have an deal, I need a better blaster and they are expensive!

Player1: Cool, I'm going to cut down those tusken raiders with my awesome lightsaber when we meet them!!!

goto124
2016-04-24, 01:06 AM
You mean, players should have backstories they are personally invested in.

A player writing out a backstory and begging the GM to incoporate it into the game is good. But the player who wrote up a backstory because GM said so? She'll feel like she's being dragged along and forced to fake emotion when the GM says "you recieve news your mom has been kidnapped!".

"I ignore the news and focus on (other stuff in the game)."
"You are now Chaotic Evil."
"What the? Alignment is so-"
"Alright, fine. Word spreads that you let your own mother die. Nobody trusts you anymore."

I'm sure there's an in-between - this is clearly exxagerated, just trying to show how backstories can end up feeling like plot buttons for the DM to push when forcing a player to (not) go somewhere. Not that I know what the medium ground will look like, because I suck.

If GMs want to incentivise backstory creation, let backstories have benefits on top of caveats. A nice mother who sends you food, rope, and other useful stuff? A sister who helps you with connections?

LokiRagnarok
2016-04-24, 03:29 AM
To provide another perspective: I would find it hard to make a PC and identify with with them, if they had a strong bond with their family. The reason is I myself do not have a strong bond with my relatives, and I did not have enough insight into the families of others to be able to judge what "normal" family interaction looks like.

This goes as far as me literally not being able to write any character, be it PC or NPC, having a loving father... but I digress.

My point being, I would probably be pretty annoyed at *having* to invent close ties with family for my backstory. So I usually throw in some generic characters and tell the DM she can do with them what she wants.

Red Fel
2016-04-24, 09:24 PM
I recommend revealing the evidence that you have against the king to the public and demanding an appropriate punishment.

After that, go get a Cleric to ressurect your family and apologize to them for letting them die, and go serve your new king. You might also want to investigate the people that your former king told you to fight- they might not be as bad as you were told they were.

Also, Red Fel, Red Fel, Red Fel.

You have my attention.

There is no "supposed to." What there is, however, is a world of opportunities. How you embrace them is up to you.

Have you read my handbook? Click the link in my sig. There's an entry there that might interest you - The Dragon. The Dragon is an LE, with an emphasis on the L (so he could actually be LN) in service to E. The funny thing about a Dragon is that, if his master betrays him, he tends to not take it well.

Look no further than Darth Vader's resignation letter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOQI-LAEzM) to see what I mean.

In other words, a truly loyal soldier who has been utterly betrayed by his master owes him no loyalty. Now, how you express that sentiment is up to you. Here are a few options.
Find a new master. Your character needs to serve; it's his nature. So, having been discarded by one master, you instinctively seek out another, ideally one who will aid in your vengeance. Another PC is a good option.
L -> C. You have an existential crisis. Law and honor were your life; you served willingly, abnegating yourself for your master's will. And this is the reward for that service? No; no more service. No more obedience. From now on, you serve only yourself; the only master you can rely on to pay his due.
G/N -> E. You have an existential crisis. You served someone with all of your heart. How could he visit such cruelty upon you? It's inexcusable; it's unforgivable. Let your heart no longer be shackled by morals; let only vengeance guide your hand now.
Whatever -> LE. This king has proven himself a fool and a mockery of the crown. Yet his sloppy and savage acts have given you a new understanding of what the nation needs. Clearly, this despot is not fit; his lackeys are similarly corrupt. What the nation needs is a new ruler, whose response to this corruption will be absolute and immediate. Fate has cruelly placed you in the position of the necessary evil. But first, to remove the cancer that sits on the throne...
And so on. There is no "right answer." There is only "whatever you want to do next."

Lord Torath
2016-04-25, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the responses. My Knight is the very true Knight type. Follows everything to the letter, it works out with our current party comp of cleric, paly, and wizard. He's similar to a barristan selmy type. Anyhow, I'm not 100% sure that they are dead but the Kings men certainly burnt that place to the ground and haven't heard of my family since. How could someone with such a code directly work against the king...? :LLoyalty works both ways. Every Knight/Paldin code I've read has the servant loyal to the master as the master is loyal to the servant. If the master breaks his end of the bargain, the knight is freed from his end. So pick one of Red Fel's suggestions, or come up with one of your own. But your knight's duty to the king ends as soon as he discovers the king's treachery. You may choose to still be loyal to the kingdom, but no longer to the king.

Telwar
2016-04-25, 02:28 PM
Loyalty works both ways. Every Knight/Paldin code I've read has the servant loyal to the master as the master is loyal to the servant. If the master breaks his end of the bargain, the knight is freed from his end. So pick one of Red Fel's suggestions, or come up with one of your own. But your knight's duty to the king ends as soon as he discovers the king's treachery. You may choose to still be loyal to the kingdom, but no longer to the king.

Yup.

This really can end only with either your PC or the king dead at the other's hand.

Depending on the setting and the DM's connivance, if you *don't* seek vengeance, you may have some furies after you as well.

Coidzor
2016-04-25, 05:30 PM
By all means, though, verify what's going on and what has truly happened and who is behind it before embarking on a bloody campaign of regicide.

Evil Viziers do sometimes do this sort of thing in order to get someone else to kill the king for them, after all.