PDA

View Full Version : Clerics and Concentration

Dr. Cliché
2016-04-22, 04:21 PM
I was building an NPC Cleric as a mini-boss (Lv6), who'd be at the back buffing minions, and maybe wade into combat at the end. But, it just seems like every buff requires Concentration.

So, a few questions regarding this:

1) Is it me, or are do insane number of Cleric spells require Concentration? I'm just wondering whether my selection was skewed, or if Clerics really do just have a ton of Concentration spells.

2) Is it possible to make a buffing cleric in 5th?

3) If so, any suggestions regarding spells? Are there any good buff spells that don't require Concentration? Also, in terms of the Concentration buff spells up to lv3, which do you think is most worth using?

R.Shackleford
2016-04-22, 04:26 PM
Yeah but they get the best offesive non-concentration ongoing damage spell in the game.

Spiritual Weapon is just down right sick.

Hrugner
2016-04-22, 05:14 PM
I've been looking at the same problem you are. I had a support wizard I wanted to convert and there just isn't support for that type of play.

The paladin aura class features are the best way to swing multiple buffs in 5e that I can see.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-22, 05:52 PM
I've been looking at the same problem you are. I had a support wizard I wanted to convert and there just isn't support for that type of play.

The paladin aura class features are the best way to swing multiple buffs in 5e that I can see.

Cleric + Sanctuary (on Cleric) + Help Action. The biggest buff you can give an ally is the help action. Advantage on attacks is awesome. This also draws enemy fire away from your allies.

Sorcerer + Twin Enlarge Person on the martial dudes.

Wizards are more about control in this edition. They can buff but they aren't really generally made for it.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-04-23, 12:38 AM
Making a buffing cleric is as simple as preparing and using Bless; it's one of the few spells in 5e that buffs an entire party simultaneously.
Cleric spells with the concentration tag are usually measured against Bless for a reason...

Cast with a high enough slot, it can be used on lots of creatures simultaneously. And though 1d4 appears small, that's a bonus to every single attack or saving throw that the affected creatures make. With a large number of creatures with extra attack, that can be a lot of 1d4's. Which translates into a small, but significant number of increased hits.
This is probably what you want your cleric NPC to have.

Aid gives your minions more health, and can be used well before the fight starts. 5 / 10 hp on 3 targets really isn't much for a 2nd/3rd level slot though, but it doesn't require concentration!

Sanctuary and Spiritual Weapon have already been mentioned.

Spirit Guardians isn't a buff per se, but it creates a zone where enemies do not want to be in or move through, on pain of extreme pain. Your minions however, can ignore it.

MrStabby
2016-04-23, 04:59 AM
Spirit Guardians isn't a buff per se, but it creates a zone where enemies do not want to be in or move through, on pain of extreme pain. Your minions however, can ignore it.

Well minions that have been there since before the start of the spell...

Yeah the concentration requirement is pretty common but the abundance of these types of spell means that you can pick the one most appropriate for the fight at hand. Bless is best for different fights to spirit guardians etc..

When picking spells for the day it does mean that you have to get a bit of a balance though, especially at higher levels where you will want to cast more than one spell per combat. This is part of the skill and challenge of playing the class.

Giant2005
2016-04-23, 05:10 AM
You are better off making that Cleric of yours a Bard. He can get whatever concentration spell you plan on using through his magical secrets as well as throw out some Inspirations for a little more oomph. If your buff of choice is something that only effects one person, you might want to give him 3 Sorc levels so he can at least twin it to apply to two.
Or you can just say to hell with it and just have him be a special sort that doesn't have to give a damn about Concentration.
If you don't want to say "to hell with it" because you think that would be unfair to your players for not having access to the same privileges, then get your hands on this book (https://www.froggodgames.com/book-lost-spells). It has some tremendously overpowered spells of every variety (including buff spells which you obviously need - there is a 30' radius, aoe version of Bless that gives your allies the benefits of Bless while also giving your enemies a save-less version of Bane), and you can make yourself feel better by telling your players that they have access to those spells too - you just don't tell them where you got them from, so they can't use them because they won't find them.