PDA

View Full Version : Doom 4: Bloody Hell!!

Zigwat
2016-04-22, 08:05 PM
Alright I know that it's not released yet, outside of the Beta testers, but I can't wait! I am up the wall with excitement about this game! I played the first Doom when 8 Megs of RAM was a lot for your computer to have, and I have loved it through all of its incarnations (yes, even Doom 3 had its joyous moments). So I've already got my copy pre-ordered, and I'm ready to take down the minions of hell.

My question is, who here has played the Beta, and why are these jerks playing for one single hour and bad-mouthing it right away? I mean come on, the first hour is simply getting use to the controls and figuring crap out. Why would you troll it after so little gameplay? I even gave Duke Nukem forever a good 5 hours before I decided whole-heartedly that it was garbage.

Oh, and the floor is open for talk of other Doom games, of course.

Antonok
2016-04-22, 08:48 PM
My question is, who here has played the Beta, and why are these jerks playing for one single hour and bad-mouthing it right away? I mean come on, the first hour is simply getting use to the controls and figuring crap out. Why would you troll it after so little gameplay? I even gave Duke Nukem forever a good 5 hours before I decided whole-heartedly that it was garbage.

Played about 10 hours of the open beta. Part of the problem is they made it too Halo/CoD like. People are just burnt out on the formula and not happy with the multiplayer. Can't say I blame them much either. Too Run and Gun for my tastes.

That said, I may still pick it up for the single player since thats what DOOM is best at.

Zigwat
2016-04-22, 09:04 PM
Okay, that makes a little more sense. And it is very wise of you to have good faith in the single player. Seriously, I cannot WAIT!! May 13th couldn't get here faster!!!

1dominator
2016-04-22, 09:06 PM
If you are a fan of doom I recommend you check out Brutal doom, which just released a new version. It is an update/mod of the original doom that makes it bigger, badder, bloodier and an all around better experience. Really brings doom into the modern age, and its surprising how good those old style graphics can look.

Winthur
2016-04-23, 02:01 AM
It is an update/mod of the original doom that makes it bigger, badder, bloodier and an all around better experience. Really brings doom into the modern age, and its surprising how good those old style graphics can look.

overrated mod made with tons of stolen assets that you can get anywhere else without sacrificing integrity and tightness of core gameplay

demonsteele's better :^)

Rodin
2016-04-23, 07:44 AM
While I haven't played the beta, I can't say that I'm hugely excited for it either based on the previews.

Doom 4 kind of faces a problem of "been there, done that". Over-the-top action shooter without much plot? Serious Sam already knocked that out of the park, as well as other similar games like Painkiller. And from a pure gameplay standpoint, Call of Duty has been putting out yearly releases since what feels like the Ice Age at this point. Is blowing up demons in single-player the draw? Because the Wolfenstein games have been keeping that niche filled, with Nazis to kill to boot.

The other thing that the preview really seemed to play up was the gore. That's never had that much appeal for me in the first place, but even assuming it did there are still major issues with that. The first is that gore is kind of played out. Back in the 90s when Doom was released, wanton violence like that was fairly uncommon in games and as such Doom got to be the "shocking" game that got everyone interested because of how different it was. Now if I want gore, I just turn on Bloody Mess in Fallout 4 and go to town. Any modern FPS already has tons. The impression I got from the video is that they're going to make it extra gruesome to appeal to a jaded modern audience...but that too has been tried with games like Soldier of Fortune, and that game became a footnote in gaming history rather than anything truly notable.

I guess I'm just not sure of what audience they're trying to appeal to. You can make a generic shooter that runs off nostalgia and shock value...but we all saw how well that ended for Duke Nukem Forever. If they're going down that route, they're going to have to utterly perfect the gameplay, because there's nothing else to hold the game together.

As annoyed as I was with Doom 3's "haunted house" approach, I've steadily been coming to the conclusion that it was the right one. The game was memorable and I don't think I've ever seen another game use shadows as effectively. I don't think going for a pure balls-to-the-wall action game would have worked as well even back then, and the genre hasn't gotten any kinder in that regard.

Zigwat
2016-04-23, 12:20 PM
I would think twice before comparing ANY game to Duke Nukem forever. The team that worked on Duke Nukem Forever did all of the nostalgia factor, with none of the gameplay. They just thought if they put boobs and alien blood in there that BOOM! We have a Duke Nukem Game! They were stupid enough to make Duke only carry two guns, make miniature levels where you climb on shelves, and idiotic side levels that just slowed your time without making it anymore fun.

So long as the previews aren't outright lying to us (Which has happened before, so I'm not ruling it out) Doom has not made the same mistakes that Duke Nukem did. For old school Doom fans like me, I think that's enough to get excited about. Not only the gameplay but also the sheer outlook of it.

Not to mention I want to shove their boots into their faces as they are mere moments from death!

Either way, I really don't care about how violent games are today. The violence isn't the greatest draw point for me. For me it's the idea of enjoying another Doom game on a next-gen console. Not to mention the level generator that's coming with it. It just sounds like a cracking good time.

Zigwat
2016-05-02, 05:45 PM
Oh and by the by, I watched a lot of gameplay on the multiplayers, honestly, it looks like another Quake game, which I'm all about, personally. I don't know if they updated it since those guys complained about it, or if those guys have just never actually played Modern Warfare, but it really looked nothing like them other than the fact that it's a first person shooter.

11 more days!!!

Zigwat
2016-05-13, 06:17 PM
CONFIRMED! All of those idiots and *******s that called the new Doom a Halo and COD clone were lying out of their faces! The new DOOM is NOTHING like either of those games, in fact I can't even begin to imagine where they would even come to that conclusion.

Luckily, though, apparently everyone knew that they were so full of crap their eyes were brown. I saw more people in the Gamestop I shop at than I have ever seen at a Closing Release! It was fantastic!

Doom is not the greatest game ever, but my GOD is it fun! So far I haven't gotten that far in the campaign, but I have played the Snap Map and that alone was worth every single penny! I haven't even gotten to the internet gaming yet, and already I'm seeing a lot of potential for endless replayability.

So all of you guys who shunned the game over the tiniest nitpicks and for being a "Halo clone" need to go complain about something else! I can understand actual complaints about actual gameplay mechanics, but when you start bitching about things that are literally OPTIONAL (as in you can turn them off in the options), you do not deserve to go on youtube or post a negative review that other people actually read and bitch about the game not being ABSOLUTELY the same as the original Doom!

There! I really needed to get that off my chest.

warty goblin
2016-05-13, 10:08 PM
DOOM is excellent. You're a god of carnage who moves like greased lightning, and goddamn is it good. The whole run and gun thing feels stupendous; it's just like BLAM! and that sucker ends at the hips, BOOM! and this bastard's suddenly a head shorter, BRAKA-BRAKA-BRAKA! and then you grab some schmuck, rip his arm off and jam it right through his mouth-hole so hard his head explodes. Then pull out the chainsaw - GRGGRRBRGRM! - go all King Solomon on some ugly devil, hoover up the glorious golden fountain of ammo, jump over that crate, shoot the barrel KABOOM! and and no time to admire the rain of red squishy bits 'cause BLAM! PUNCH! STOMP! another one bites the dust.

Plus, it's really got a minimum of annoying things like mandatory tedious lore dumps, people spending five minutes explaining why I have to push the button or fetch the whatever and other similar forms of bloat. If I need to get through the red door, I need the red keycard. Nice, simple, leaves more time for beating imps to death with their own limbs. The difficulty on standard feels just right; I've gotta pay attention and play well to not die, but I'm not dying constantly, which would totally harsh my murder-mellow. And it's honest hard too, no crap like accidentally running into a dude you're underleveled for - your level is God of Destruction from minute one - or respawning enemies or figuring out how to boost your stats optimally for your build - your build is KILL FACE! - or other things. It's just demons who need their stupid demon faces killed off, and your ability to do that while not getting hit. There's upgrades for guns, sure, but they're OK because getting them depends on your skill at kicking ass instead of grinding drop rates, and plus they're ludicrous and alter the way you play. It's not that I now have a shotgun that does 14% more damage, it's that my shotgun is now a grenade launcher.

Not that I want every game ever to have this sort of stripped down boot-to-demon-face approach. But it's an awful nice change to have one that is that.

Winthur
2016-05-14, 04:24 AM
you do not deserve to go on youtube or post a negative review

more like i am not allowed to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8)

Psyren
2016-05-14, 05:42 PM
Is the whole "a single imp can refill all your health if you kill them with the quick-time event thing" optional too?

Zigwat
2016-05-15, 11:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that's only in the easier difficulties. In the harder modes they don't do that.

Knaight
2016-05-17, 12:47 PM
more like i am not allowed to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8)

You can still post your own reviews, comments are just closed on that particular video. Trying to paint that as suppression of criticism is sketchy at best.

With that said: Judging by the video, the game looks mediocre at best. I'm not really seeing the Halo comparison (although I'm only really familiar with the first Halo game, so maybe the rest of the series fits it better), and it's way too low on quick time events, poorly implemented vehicle sections, or gratuitous cutscenes to fit the CoD style. The issues to my eye are more that it seems too smooth and too clean. There's the movement, which is at close to uniform speed in all directions, doesn't have any bounce, and just generally has the segway feel. There's the way the weapons tend to explode in clean spheres, and don't kick up any debris. There's the general lack of visible damage, weathering, or even smearing in much of the industrial areas.

In many ways, the environment aesthetic actually reminds me of Metroid Prime more than anything, and that game is something like 15 years old, and much better polished in many respects. Then the enemies seem pulled from something else, the movement seems almost like a cheap rail shooter's cutscene movement, etc. The whole aesthetic ends up oddly arcade like.

Winthur
2016-05-17, 02:31 PM
You can still post your own reviews, comments are just closed on that particular video. Trying to paint that as suppression of criticism is sketchy at best.

With that said: Judging by the video, the game looks mediocre at best.

To be quite fair, the video was made by Michael J. Fox some idiot at Polygon who, at best, is struck with a severe case of anemia. I'd get it if he stood around a lot to show off the graphics, but the way he engaged the enemies and maneuvered made it look like he's playing with his eyelids. Some of the vids from actual action made by someone remotely competent with a (shudder) controller weren't that bad.

As it stands, WooD looks okay, with some pretty cool nods to the originals here and there, but the tacked on multiplayer and the way SnapMap works (allowing for way, way less customization than the current mapmakers for the original Doom) is kind of a missed opportunity. I'd be tempted to try it out, but then I remember I wouldn't ever pay more than 7,5 euros for a Bethesda product.

Knaight
2016-05-17, 02:46 PM
To be quite fair, the video was made by Michael J. Fox some idiot at Polygon who, at best, is struck with a severe case of anemia. I'd get it if he stood around a lot to show off the graphics, but the way he engaged the enemies and maneuvered made it look like he's playing with his eyelids. Some of the vids from actual action made by someone remotely competent with a (shudder) controller weren't that bad.

I'm not talking about how good the person who made that video were at the game, just the polish and design coherence of the game itself as displayed in the video.

Zigwat
2016-05-17, 05:25 PM
So it's true that the PC version has the best graphics at its height, but still, the graphics on the console are no slouch either. It's beautiful graphically, and the frame rate doesn't drop when an entire HORDE of demons are noshing at your bollox.

Even when it's a run and gun game, you still have to have some kind of strategy in how you do it. There are power ups that you can use such as Quad Damage, and there are ways of getting extra ammo, like with the chainsaw. All of these things used at the right time can effectively wipe out a demon horde, but one wrong move and a HellKnight can pound your ass into the pavement. So it usually takes one or two tries to get past some of the bigger armies of demons. It's just an all around damn good game, I really cannot stress that enough!

The Glyphstone
2016-05-18, 03:42 AM
So this is all well and good, but one important question remains unanswered - how long until someone writes a reskin/conversion to turn the new Doom into a remake of Chex Quest, as nature always intended it to be?

Zigwat
2016-05-19, 07:30 PM
So if the Youtube reviewers are any indication, it's that the 7k reviewers that gave it a bad review over bull**** were all completely wrong, and were probably nay-saying to get attention and the 10% of them that honestly didn't like the game end up just looking bad as a result. You see what lying does, people? In the end, no one wins! Except Doom, it's winning big time.

Psyren
2016-05-19, 07:51 PM
So if the Youtube reviewers are any indication, it's that the 7k reviewers that gave it a bad review over bull**** were all completely wrong, and were probably nay-saying to get attention and the 10% of them that honestly didn't like the game end up just looking bad as a result. You see what lying does, people? In the end, no one wins! Except Doom, it's winning big time.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to get the impression you like this game or something :smalltongue:

Fri
2016-05-19, 08:02 PM

Did Doom saved your father's life or something? :smallwink:

Zigwat
2016-05-19, 08:51 PM
Did Doom saved your father's life or something? :smallwink:

Doom and I are getting married! YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE FRI!

The Glyphstone
2016-05-19, 09:55 PM
...when did Youtube comments become a valid set of data points?

warty goblin
2016-05-19, 10:33 PM
Why the hell are we talking about Youtube comments? What possible reason is there to care about Youtube comments, their absence, or the relative skill of people in Youtube videos? All of these are pointless distractions from playing DOOM, which I'm rapidly concluding is the best damn shooter in yonks. Pure gaming joy injected straight through your eyeballs into the depths of your lizard brain. It's a game that's actually straight-up fun to play. It's fast, it hits a perfect difficulty curve where if you screw up you're dead in two seconds flat but you're always given the tools to avoid screwing up, the weapons kick ass, and it looks excellent.

And it's chock-a-block full of really smart design bits. The Glory Kill system for instance is great. Enemies as health is one of my favorite mechanics, and this is a spot-on execution (har) of the concept. Because you don't get very much health per kill when at high health, you aren't particularly penalized for not Glory Killing every last sucker you meet, but it means moving towards enemies is a viable course of action, instead of simply around and away. The chainsaw is pure genius, since let's face it, if you put a chainsaw in a game it should flat out kill dudes. So it flat out kills dudes, but uses fairly rare fuel, the tougher the dude, the more fuel it uses. But you get lots of ammo for all your other guns when you use it, so it works as basically a get-out-of-hard-enemy free card if you need that, or a replenish-bullets card if you need that, or just a really good way to totally massacre somebody you don't like very much. Satisfying and flexible, all in one package.

This makes it rather different than The Division, the other shooter I've played so far this year. The Division looks good, has the best cover system known to humankind, very good shooting, but lots of really dumbass design stitched together by an endless succession of upgrades.

Zigwat
2016-05-19, 10:57 PM
My comments about youtube were spurred more toward the Beta test and their posts on Steam with 7000+ negative responses saying that Doom was more of a Call of Duty/Halo clone. More or less, I was pissed that these people were lying to the public and giving falsified complaints. At the time I could only use Youtube as a basis for my comparison, and concluded that these statements were false. Then I confirmed my conclusion by playing the game, and said that even in the multiplayer, these statements were false. As such I say that DOOM is better than both Halo and COD combined in all of their originals and spinoffs. That was all. I'm not saying that youtube is a reliable source of information in the ways of human opinion, I'm simply going off of what is shown and how it differs from other deliberations.

The Glyphstone
2016-05-19, 11:19 PM
Frankly, Zig, I'm starting to wonder if you have an internship with iD Software or something, and are part of a viral marketing campaign - your level of demonization of people who don't like the game as much as you do is starting to feel deliberately exaggerated.

t209
2016-05-19, 11:46 PM
Remember this panel (https://camo.derpicdn.net/1eb96cc5ff2abdb10e3e2ee44c33b08c998db4a5?url=http% 3A%2F%2Fstatic.tvtropes.org%2Fpmwiki%2Fpub%2Fimage s%2Fdoomguyripandtear_2140.jpg)?
that catch phrase is canon now.

Zigwat
2016-05-19, 11:47 PM
It'd be really cool to have that kind of deal. But if you'll notice, I was simply pissed that people were lying about the game. I am completely okay with legit complaints about the game, such as the multiplayer being grossly unbalanced, and not especially full of features that keep you playing. Then there's moments in the campaign where the pulse slows down to a crawl in between high-octane KILLING HEATHENS!

I'm not here to tell people that they have to love Doom, I was simply not impressed with people antagonizing the game with lies and slander. That's all.

The Glyphstone
2016-05-19, 11:53 PM
See, that's what I'm talking about though. Just because someone disagrees doesn't make their opinions 'lies and slander' or saying any negative reviews were only bashing the game 'to get attention'. People are allowed to be just plain wrong without intimating some sort of malicious intent.

Zigwat
2016-05-20, 12:07 AM
Legit complaints and actual faults is one thing, but why lie about the game? I'm not even mad at IGN for Nitpicking the game over its faults, but what they talked about were actual faults, to an extent. Lying about a game and making up reasons to hate it is just all around wrong. I think I have a very good reason to point the finger at these people because they are doing a disservice to the game and to the people thinking about buying it. What is the point of outright lying?

Rodin
2016-05-20, 12:46 AM
Legit complaints and actual faults is one thing, but why lie about the game? I'm not even mad at IGN for Nitpicking the game over its faults, but what they talked about were actual faults, to an extent. Lying about a game and making up reasons to hate it is just all around wrong. I think I have a very good reason to point the finger at these people because they are doing a disservice to the game and to the people thinking about buying it. What is the point of outright lying?

Presumably because they weren't lying. They played the game and had a different experience than you did. It happens.

Honestly, you've done more to put me off buying the game than any number of negative reviews.

I'm still conflicted on whether I'm interested in it. I used to love DOOM style games back in the 90s, but the over-the-top gore is just kinda off-putting these days and I've gotten used to tactical play where you use cover and iron sights. The balls-to-the-wall style doesn't appeal as much as it used to.

I guess probably the best bet for me would be to wait for it to go on a Steam sale. I'll likely wind up with DLC and will only be out $20 instead of $60 if it turns out I've degenerated into an old fogey who doesn't get the games these whippersnappers are playing.

Psyren
2016-05-20, 01:01 AM
Cards on the table, I wouldn't mind giving this thing a try, but man did they pick a bad time to release it. Battleborn out, Overwatch and Mirror's Edge 2 around the corner, Mighty No. 9 and Battlefield 1 shortly after that... Doom would have a hard time standing up to all that even if the last one hadn't left a sour taste in my mouth.

Zigwat
2016-05-20, 01:59 AM
Honestly, you've done more to put me off buying the game than any number of negative reviews.

Buy it or don't buy it, I don't care.

Cards on the table, I wouldn't mind giving this thing a try, but man did they pick a bad time to release it. Battleborn out, Overwatch and Mirror's Edge 2 around the corner, Mighty No. 9 and Battlefield 1 shortly after that... Doom would have a hard time standing up to all that even if the last one hadn't left a sour taste in my mouth.

You are not wrong. This has been a really KICK ASS season for gaming. It was really hard not to get Battleborn and Overwatch, because of my limited funding. However, when it's all said and done, I am a huge Megaman fan, so I can't see myself passing up Mighty No. 9.

The Glyphstone
2016-05-20, 03:14 AM
Buy it or don't buy it, I don't care.

You clearly do care, because you're accusing anyone who doesn't like the game of lying for...reasons? Doom killed their pet hamster, I guess, and now they hold an eternal grudge to trick everyone into hating it as much as they do?

Zigwat
2016-05-20, 03:40 AM
I'm not accusing people who hate it of being liars. I'm accusing the ones who actually made up **** as liars! I don't care who likes it or who doesn't, just don't print bull**** excuses that are not actually in the game. Is that clear enough?

The Glyphstone
2016-05-20, 04:32 AM
No, because you're not giving any examples, only saying 'they're liars', because they 'made stuff up'. Give some specifics as to what specific facts were falsified in these 'lying' reviews, and why they are lies. Otherwise it's hard to tell if you can understand the difference between someone lying and someone having an opinion different than yours.

Legoshrimp
2016-05-20, 06:02 AM
No, because you're not giving any examples, only saying 'they're liars', because they 'made stuff up'. Give some specifics as to what specific facts were falsified in these 'lying' reviews, and why they are lies. Otherwise it's hard to tell if you can understand the difference between someone lying and someone having an opinion different than yours.

The impression I got is he is talking about people who complained about the multiplayer beta. Which to be fair was fairly boring. My impressions of it was that is was trying to be a mix of an arena shooter with some mechanics from halo/cod. And just missing really important aspects of either. Also it really isn't surprising that the MP is going to be similar to halo, it is actually done with the people who did the multiplayer for several of the halo games and CoD: ghosts.
But he is calling them all liars. So I am not sure, maybe he is referring to other reviews/opinions I haven't heard about the game.

Also this is the problem with doing a multiplayer beta with mediocre multiplayer to advertise your mostly singleplayer game. It actually can give bad press if all you show of your game is boring.

Psyren
2016-05-20, 10:44 AM
I have to say that the Shut Up Hannibal moment in the beginning was funny. But if all it is is mindless action (even polished/well-executed action) with no real story, that's not enough for full price for me in this day and age and I'll wait for a Steam Sale somewhere down the line.

Fri
2016-05-20, 10:57 AM
Same with me. The game looks nice, and I love arcade fps, but it's just kinda too expensive for me.

warty goblin
2016-05-20, 12:35 PM
I have to say that the Shut Up Hannibal moment in the beginning was funny. But if all it is is mindless action (even polished/well-executed action) with no real story, that's not enough for full price for me in this day and age and I'll wait for a Steam Sale somewhere down the line.

Depends how you define mindless. It has no story for all practical purposes, but in terms of deciding which buttons to press, it's got a vastly higher concentration and environmental awareness requirement than most other modern action games. Mostly because it requires constant movement, and is - by modern standards - very stingy with the health upgrades, so you just plain have to play better. The first Hellknight beat the crap out of me like three times in a row, and that was without any other demons in the room. Now I can fight two of them back to back in between painting the walls with imps, zombies and assorted other more or less minor hellspawn. Some of this is due to having better weapons, but it's not like I use the rocket launcher that much.

In terms of raw concentration, DOOM's easily the most involved thing I've played in months.

Zigwat
2016-05-20, 01:18 PM

Oh, so you just didn't read my early posts in the thread. Alright, fine, since I'm apparently on trial I'll give some evidence. If it pleases the court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWT2c03q0DE

Legoshrimp
2016-05-20, 01:32 PM
holy **** you are complaining about steam reviews....

(on an open beta that literally don't exist anymore)

Also lol that guy is complete BS the MP actually does take some bad aspects (for an arena shooter at least) from cod/halo.

Zigwat
2016-05-20, 01:51 PM
holy **** you are complaining about steam reviews....

(on an open beta that literally don't exist anymore)

Also lol that guy is complete BS the MP actually does take some bad aspects (for an arena shooter at least) from cod/halo.

Okay, since I need to over explain myself, I'll ask you. Such as?

Legoshrimp
2016-05-20, 03:03 PM
Okay, since I need to over explain myself, I'll ask you. Such as?

Instant melee, loadouts, not pickupable weapons, well actually that is just awful not really something from cod or halo.

Half of the weapons have ADS.
The hack module system that give bonuses that you receive randomly.

While I haven't really played much arena shooters this felt a decent amount like the halo I have played, but this is kind of subjective.

I didn't really play that much of it because it wasn't really fun though.
It just seems like it isn't really about knowing the map spawns at all or the movement very much.
Honestly the movement in CoD:Bo3 is more interesting then in this. Which seems really odd.

https://youtu.be/ztdKziK_aAs?t=17m9s
This is mostly what I am talking about.

Zigwat
2016-05-20, 03:41 PM
Well for one reason or another, I can't open your link. However, your complaints are well founded. I wasn't a huge fan of the Hack Modules, and I would have rather just played the MP without them. Loadout weapons were fine by me, but I can see why people didn't like them.

I've played some halo, and I cannot see where people are coming from comparing the two. There are so many differences between them. I played Quake 3 Arena, and it was much closer to the gameplay in Doom's Multiplayer by a long shot as far as I was concerned. Exactly the same? Definitely not, but it was far closer than Halo was.

The only real thing I can pick up from the comparison from COD is the leveling system and the unlocking guns. But that has been around since before COD. All of these things, to me, does not label DOOM as a COD/Halo clone. These are things that could be in any game, and blatantly calling it a clone because of these little menial items is completely unfair and not true. That is the point I have been trying to make. However, if this does not paint my point in a clear picture, then think what you want, I'm done trying to explain myself.

Legoshrimp
2016-05-20, 04:19 PM
Well for one reason or another, I can't open your link. However, your complaints are well founded. I wasn't a huge fan of the Hack Modules, and I would have rather just played the MP without them. Loadout weapons were fine by me, but I can see why people didn't like them.

I've played some halo, and I cannot see where people are coming from comparing the two. There are so many differences between them. I played Quake 3 Arena, and it was much closer to the gameplay in Doom's Multiplayer by a long shot as far as I was concerned. Exactly the same? Definitely not, but it was far closer than Halo was.

The only real thing I can pick up from the comparison from COD is the leveling system and the unlocking guns. But that has been around since before COD. All of these things, to me, does not label DOOM as a COD/Halo clone. These are things that could be in any game, and blatantly calling it a clone because of these little menial items is completely unfair and not true. That is the point I have been trying to make. However, if this does not paint my point in a clear picture, then think what you want, I'm done trying to explain myself.

Sure it isn't a clone, but it definitely is taking aspects from halo and cod. Sure calling it a cod clone is silly. Also the baseline of what people were expecting from the MP is "feels like quake". So going at all in the direction of halo/cod is going to be really noticeable and make it feel like it is losing it's identity. Even if the actual changes aren't that extreme.

Also here is the regular link if that works.(the link above still worked for me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdKziK_aAs

Knaight
2016-05-20, 07:50 PM
Sure it isn't a clone, but it definitely is taking aspects from halo and cod. Sure calling it a cod clone is silly. Also the baseline of what people were expecting from the MP is "feels like quake". So going at all in the direction of halo/cod is going to be really noticeable and make it feel like it is losing it's identity. Even if the actual changes aren't that extreme.

My issue with the halo/cod clone idea is that Halo and CoD are too distinct from each other for anything to be a clone of either of them. It's like calling something a Komodo Dragon/Orca clone, or a Lambda Phage/e. Coli clone. Something can be a clone of any one of the four things listed, but no combination of two makes any sense.

Traab
2016-05-20, 09:17 PM
DOOM CAME FIRST! ALL FPS GAMES ARE CLONES OF DOOOOOM!!!! (Ok so I think wolfenstien came first, but that doesnt count) heh, Honestly, this looks like a decent shoot em up.

Zigwat
2016-05-23, 06:54 PM
DOOM CAME FIRST! ALL FPS GAMES ARE CLONES OF DOOOOOM!!!! (Ok so I think wolfenstien came first, but that doesnt count) heh, Honestly, this looks like a decent shoot em up.

If you're a fan of the first one, and you have bloodlust for demons, this game is perfect for you. It has that fast pace that the first one had, with HORDES of demons nipping at your bum. The thing is that it CAN get a little repetitive in its gameplay. Sometimes you just don't want to deal with a forth or fifth horde of demons, in the later levels, but that's pretty much why the save system is there. It's an autosave (which really should have been a manual save game system) and you can come back after you've had a break. It's a great way to blow off some steam and get some awesome kills in the mean time. It has maybe 4 times when the game stops for the story, and they are maybe 2 minutes each, and the story takes a back seat to the action. So if you're looking for minimal story with a lot of crazy kills, it's definitely the game for you!

warty goblin
2016-05-23, 11:14 PM
DOOM is a game that I find I want to play for almost precisely an hour at a time. For that hour, I have a great time, but there inevitably comes a moment after some massive arena fight where I just don't want to play anymore. So I stop. But by after supper or the next evening, I am once again filled with the urge to vaporize demons with the Super Shotgun, and happily do so for an hour.

I think this is an interesting contrast with something like XCOM 2, which was basically the only thing I ever wanted to do while playing it, but left me with very little desire to return. So I mainlined the game for a few days, but never finished the campaign and have essentially zero desire to reinstall and play more. I'm already contemplating my next leisurely playthrough of DOOM on one of the harder difficulties.

Psyren
2016-05-24, 09:14 AM
Yeah, bite-sized mindless shootery fun is always a big draw. It's why I clocked so many hours in the Mass Effect MP.

I have little doubt that when Overwatch eventually adds a horde mode I will disappear off the face of the planet for a time.

Zigwat
2016-05-24, 05:17 PM
Yeah, bite-sized mindless shootery fun is always a big draw. It's why I clocked so many hours in the Mass Effect MP.

I have little doubt that when Overwatch eventually adds a horde mode I will disappear off the face of the planet for a time.

I know right?! That's why I couldn't do Fallout 4. As fun as it was, I didn't have time to figure stuff out on it with an 8 month old daughter, so I had to switch to a much simpler game. Doom definitely is a much simpler game to figure out.

Fri
2016-05-24, 11:22 PM
You can count me on that. As I get (sigh) older, I also now gravitate toward games that I can play in bite-sizes.

Traab
2016-05-25, 07:10 PM
You can count me on that. As I get (sigh) older, I also now gravitate toward games that I can play in bite-sizes.

I play world of warcraft usually in half hour increments at most. But I will often play 3-4 of those increments a day, sometimes more. Honestly, im more into idle games than anything else. I just cant do like I did back in high school and play the game for an 8 hour stretch without a break and wish I could have played longer. I dont have the patience for it anymore.

themaque
2016-05-26, 07:40 AM
I'm actually looking forward to getting the cash to get a copy myself for the following reasons.

A) Everyone whom I trust has said that it's FUN. Is it the best game? Hell no. It is a simple run and gun with a lot of gore. It has problems and kind of shallow. But it knows this and tries to be the best wade pool it can be and it's just FUN to splash around in.

B) The level design is supposed to be really smart.

C) There actually IS a deeper storyline that even connects this game to the previous two. It's just that... your main character doesn't give a F@$% and just wans to shoot Demons in the face.

If you take the time to find the logs and listen to people talking to you, there IS a light but descent story, but Doom guy isn't here for that. He's here for guts and glory.

And as a casual gamer, that appeals to me.

Zigwat
2016-06-10, 09:30 AM
Haha!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGxC8HKCD4&list=PLAwE64bDfpYy3whKz4ZGL12IoTSfEsRc3&index=158

Psyren
2016-06-10, 09:48 AM
Yep, he liked it - it'll probably end up in his top 5 for the year just for being a AAA shooter that is getting away from the CoD mire we've been stuck in for the last couple of years and getting back towards Serious Sam/Painkiller-style fun.

(Overwatch does too of course, but being in AU he understandably hates online multiplayer.)

warty goblin
2016-06-10, 10:25 AM
Yep, he liked it - it'll probably end up in his top 5 for the year just for being a AAA shooter that is getting away from the CoD mire we've been stuck in for the last couple of years and getting back towards Serious Sam/Painkiller-style fun.

(Overwatch does too of course, but being in AU he understandably hates online multiplayer.)

Plus DOOM is just way more fun than Overwatch.

Psyren
2016-06-10, 11:13 AM
Plus DOOM is just way more fun than Overwatch.

Disagree but no sense in debating preferences. Strawberry ice cream > chocolate, etc.

Zigwat
2016-06-10, 11:28 AM
They are two completely different games, so yeah, that's extremely opinionated. Any comparison is sincerely in the eye of the beholder. To me, I love Doom, and I love Team Fortress 2, which is what Overwatch is modeled after. Big difference is that you get different classes in Overwatch, while you're just a Doom Marine with different weapons in the multiplayer. So, really, I just have fun with both, but I play either one of them when I'm in a different mood than the other.

If that makes sense.

warty goblin
2016-06-10, 12:35 PM
They are two completely different games, so yeah, that's extremely opinionated. Any comparison is sincerely in the eye of the beholder. To me, I love Doom, and I love Team Fortress 2, which is what Overwatch is modeled after. Big difference is that you get different classes in Overwatch, while you're just a Doom Marine with different weapons in the multiplayer. So, really, I just have fun with both, but I play either one of them when I'm in a different mood than the other.

If that makes sense.

They're both shooters that fill up my limited gaming time. By necessity I compare them then any time I boot up the computer with the intent of face-murdering some digital fools. So here's the recent shooters I've currently got installed.

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. This is only OK. Most of the 'guns' feel kinda limp, I find the extreme colorfullness difficult to parse visually, the amount of grind necessary to unlock everything is horrifying, and the movement feels a bit 'off' to me somehow. But on the upside the classes are legit creative, reminding me of Battlefront 2 in places, and there's so many zillions of modes I haven't even tried them all yet. On the other hand because shooting things isn't particularly satisfying and it's annoyingly difficult to figure out what's going on, I haven't spent much time.

Star Wars Battlefront (new). My current multiplayer timesoak. It's not as good as Battlefront 2 in a lot of ways, mostly through sins of omission rather than commission. I miss the Clone Wars setting and space battles and bots and the better map selection mostly. But the core infantry combat is extremely tight, most of the guns are fairly satisfying, power loadout is broad enough to be interesting, and map design is excellent. Walker Assault is a really fantastic game mode - easily the best designed objective system I've seen in a shooter since Quake Wars - and the other modes are generally pretty decent as well. Except the hero mode, that can die in a fire. The unlock grind is less annoying than PvZ, since you can actually control what you unlock, and fairly decent weapons are available pretty quickly.

DOOM (singleplayer, haven't tried multi yet) hands me a bucket of fun and distinct weapons, all with really excellent feedback and sound effects. It gives me the fastest, smoothest movement of any shooter I've played in years, a glorious double jump, and integrates resource management directly into combat better than any action game since Bloodrayne 2. I am in short free to speed-massacre my way through Hell while sampling from a delicious buffet of violence.

Overwatch: Gives me a reasonably large number of entirely pre-defined options. Some of these are pretty cool, and some of the ultimates are legit awesome. This makes the game fun when I'm playing it, but for some reason I have very little urge to fire it up any particular evening. Maybe it's the number of very basic actions it turns into special abilities (sprint? really?), or flaccid weapons. More probably it's because I can't help but feel I spend an awful lot of time either watching the game find a game, watching the game load the map, or sitting around on the map waiting for the damn round to start.

Which is basically a long way of saying that at the moment DOOM and Battlefront win out, at least until my next inevitable Quake Wars submersion. Ah, Quake Wars, alas that we'll never see its like again...

Zigwat
2016-06-10, 12:53 PM
Quake 3 Arena is by a long margin my favorite FPS, especially as a multiplayer (which is sad because the multiplayer has been offline for a very long time) but also works well as a skirmisher offline, so it's a damn good time. Doom recreates the experience pretty well, though there are some differences, of course, it's still blasting its way into my alltime favorites. It's just too early to tell at the moment.

Fri
2016-06-10, 11:14 PM
Did you guys play Shadow Warriors (the remake) and Hard Reset? I find myself really enjoying both games, and those fill the itches for fast paced run-and-gun fps with weird and cool weapons that I'm also hoping for this DOOM game to scratch.

warty goblin
2016-06-10, 11:34 PM
Did you guys play Shadow Warriors (the remake) and Hard Reset? I find myself really enjoying both games, and those fill the itches for fast paced run-and-gun fps with weird and cool weapons that I'm also hoping for this DOOM game to scratch.

Played a bit of both, was not blown away by either. Hard Reset was alright, but the guns weren't punchy feeling, and I found managing all the different modes something of a hassle. I found nu-Shadow Warrior to extremely eh, since I had the option of using either kinda jerky feeling guns, or else the melee combat. A lot of people liked the melee system, I found it pretty uninteresting. No blocking, and special attacks via weird series of button presses are not my thing. DOOM is way better than both.

Fri
2016-06-11, 02:10 AM
Well, I'm actually glad to hear that Doom is way better from those two, because I actually already quite like those. And I completely agree on what you says, Hard Reset's gun modes sometimes are really awkward to use, and Shadow Warrior's gun is pretty underwhelming compared to the melee. I like guns and powers in both game though, and don't mind fighting-game style button press to use powers in Shadow Warriors.

warty goblin
2016-06-11, 12:40 PM
Well, I'm actually glad to hear that Doom is way better from those two, because I actually already quite like those. And I completely agree on what you says, Hard Reset's gun modes sometimes are really awkward to use, and Shadow Warrior's gun is pretty underwhelming compared to the melee. I like guns and powers in both game though, and don't mind fighting-game style button press to use powers in Shadow Warriors.

Yeah, the Shadow Warrior melee thing is very much a case of my own personal damages - in this case having overdosed on Dark Messiah's melee system, which is just so damn perfect. Give me a sword in first person, and I'll start to wonder why I'm not precision-targeting power attacks at my enemy's shoulder to kill 'em with a quick dismemberment.

The thing I really like about DOOM's guns is how distinct they all feel. It's one of those things where I read what guns other people use and am basically totally weirded out, because I use totally different ones. I can't stand the minigun for instance because it has to spin up, so I use the assault rifle instead. The combat shotgun became basically obsolete for me once I got the super shotgun, but I've seen other people swear by the combat shotgun with the grenade launcher attachment.

Psyren
2016-06-11, 06:17 PM
Yahtzee reviewed all three (Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior and Doom 4) and Doom was the only one to get a positive review. Take that for what it's worth.

Antonok
2016-06-12, 10:47 PM
For the next week, you can download and play thru the first level of DOOM for free. Not useful for those who own it, but for those with friends who might be on the fence

Zigwat
2016-06-13, 10:07 AM
Wow, Rageaholic praised the single player to the Gods, but stamped out the multiplayer down like a piece of ****. It was a fair enough review, and it was seriously funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg4-tOuyik

Chambers
2016-06-18, 12:06 AM
Picked up Doom for the PS4 today. Loaded up the single player and played through the first level. My first impression is that it's pretty good. I've got a pistol and a shotgun and am blasting zombie space marines and dodging fireballs from Imps. This is good. This is what I remembered doing when I was playing the original Doom. All I need now is a Nirvana album playing through the speakers and I'm back in middle school.

Then I try out the multiplayer. What a piece of garbage. I've had better death matches playing Team Fortress when it was a mod for another game. I played CoD for years and have played Overwatch since it's release; Doom multiplayer tries to take the structure of CoD (loadouts, unlocking weapons, etc), but it has none of the strategy.

I unlocked the "Reach Level 5 on Multiplayer" Trophy and saw that only 28% of other people had that trophy. That's pretty telling to me, when not even 30% of the prople who play Doom on the PS4 bother with the multiplayer enough to get to level 5.

Such a huge let down. I'll stick with the single player and pop in Overwatch when I want multiplayer.

Legoshrimp
2016-06-18, 05:56 AM
Picked up Doom for the PS4 today. Loaded up the single player and played through the first level. My first impression is that it's pretty good. I've got a pistol and a shotgun and am blasting zombie space marines and dodging fireballs from Imps. This is good. This is what I remembered doing when I was playing the original Doom. All I need now is a Nirvana album playing through the speakers and I'm back in middle school.

Then I try out the multiplayer. What a piece of garbage. I've had better death matches playing Team Fortress when it was a mod for another game. I played CoD for years and have played Overwatch since it's release; Doom multiplayer tries to take the structure of CoD (loadouts, unlocking weapons, etc), but it has none of the strategy.

I unlocked the "Reach Level 5 on Multiplayer" Trophy and saw that only 28% of other people had that trophy. That's pretty telling to me, when not even 30% of the prople who play Doom on the PS4 bother with the multiplayer enough to get to level 5.

Such a huge let down. I'll stick with the single player and pop in Overwatch when I want multiplayer.

I think pretending that DOOM is a single player only game is probably the right choice.
Or more realizing despite there being a multiplayer button, it is a single player only game.

I played the DEMO they released for PC that lets you play the first level. I kind of want to get it, but I have a lot of other games I should play. Also not that much time.

Zigwat
2016-06-19, 01:20 AM
Meh, no it is not a solid Multiplayer by any means. Though, I wouldn't count it out completely, it's still good for some chuckles. Mostly when you're blasting people away with your rocket launcher and super shot gun, but also when you turn into a demon and there's a whole line of people that you can rip the heads off of.

But yes, in the ways of multiplayer, it's not very good. The singleplayer is what it's all about, and honestly, I am super excited about unlocking the classic levels.

Legoshrimp
2016-06-23, 05:45 PM
Huh this is kind of surprising. Steam summer sale started and DOOM is 40% off already.

Zigwat
2016-06-23, 10:43 PM
https://marshallmusadeq.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/steam-sale-meme.jpg