PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Scale Armor / Shield

RaynorReynolds
2016-04-22, 09:19 PM
Greetings playground! I need some help brainstorming. My players killed a green dragon and fasioned some armor and a shield. I am trying to think of what qualities it would have other than the typical armor. Poison damage is internal so Im not sure how the armor would prevent posion damage. Any ideas?

Sigreid
2016-04-22, 09:21 PM
Greetings playground! I need some help brainstorming. My players killed a green dragon and fasioned some armor and a shield. I am trying to think of what qualities it would have other than the typical armor. Poison damage is internal so Im not sure how the armor would prevent posion damage. Any ideas?

It's actually a magic item in the DMG.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-22, 09:23 PM

The dragon's remaining skin/scales like to absorb poison and can do so a few times per long rest. During a long rest it must be cleaned. This poison is inert as the poison was used by the scales to keep itself "healthy".

Gastronomie
2016-04-22, 09:57 PM
While wearing this armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC, you have advantage on saving throws against the Frightful Presence and breath weapons of dragons, and you have resistance to one damage type that is determined by the kind of dragon that provided the scales.
Additionally, you can focus your senses as an action to magically discern the distance and direction to the closest dragon within 30 miles of you that is of the same type as the armor. This special action can't be used again until the next dawn.This is what the original DMG has. Of course you could tweak it as you like - for instance, instead of Poison resistance, perhaps allow its user to activate "Hellish Rebuke" (except with poison damage, perhaps with a higher spell level depending on the age of the slain dragon) once per short rest... or something along those lines. Having the armor spray poison at the enemy when it's hit, you know, stuff like that.

Ewhit
2016-04-22, 10:46 PM
Depends how strong u want it. Give bonus to saves vrs poison gas or absorb it. Lie what's written above. Allow the person to fart poison gas spell or shape Chang into a green dragon all up to you

I would go with bonus save to poison gas. Any dragon of the same order. Chrome or metal. Rage check vrs target but also if getting hurt fear check vrs target.

Joe the Rat
2016-04-23, 12:04 AM
Once per day...
The shield releases a thick fog of acrid mist (as fog cloud, but it also causes scent-based perception checks to be at disadvantage)
The helmet grants waterbreathing
You can conjure a thicket (as Wall or Brambles, except damage is only 2d8)
The armor allows you to cast pass without trace, but only in a forest or swamp
cast entangle without using material components

...all of which are inspired by the other powers (and lair actions and regional effects) of green dragons.

RaynorReynolds
2016-04-23, 09:30 AM
This is what the original DMG has. Of course you could tweak it as you like - for instance, instead of Poison resistance, perhaps allow its user to activate "Hellish Rebuke" (except with poison damage, perhaps with a higher spell level depending on the age of the slain dragon) once per short rest... or something along those lines. Having the armor spray poison at the enemy when it's hit, you know, stuff like that.

I should have mentioned that I thought the DMG description was too powerful for the level they are at. It was really bad luck on the dragons part. I do like the absorbing idea. Thanks guys!