PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft Advice wanted for leveling up

djreynolds
2016-04-23, 04:01 AM
So right now we are leveling up to 4th.

I am a life cleric, hill dwarf. 14/10/16/16/10/8

Now here's the circumstances, no one in our party but I wear chainmail or heavy armor, and often I have to man the front lines.
I was planning, originally, to max out wisdom by 10th level. But what I find is every time an enemy hits AC18, I take lots of damage.

I was interested in heavy armor master, as we are going to 10th level, is this feat still pertinent at 8th-10th. And if so would the DM allow me to change a stat, as I will have an uneven stat.

We have a archer/ranger, warlock, bladesinger, dex based barbarian (who is not always present), a mystic warrior, and a new sorcerer(who may or may not show up). Normally its a 5 man party with myself included.

Do I stick with the plan, and just level up wisdom? Multiclass to fighter? Try out heavy armor master and just live with a 15 in strength? Ask the DM to allow me, since it was point buy to change up something? Grab resilient con?

Ashaman
2016-04-23, 07:13 AM
I'm finding armor very hard to come by in Ravenloft, especially heavier armor. At the places I've been to so far, nothing over 25gp from the player's handbook is available, and then prices are 10x the listed cost.
On the other hand, you're a cleric in the land of undead. I'd think you want to boost your Wis fast, and use your divine bits more.

I'm doing a light cleric, halfling, but I'm standing right behind our Paladin most of the time. Doing fire and radiant damage is saving our bacon, not to mention a certain magic item that will throw sunlight. (Actually, Hold Person also saved our group, since we were facing a humanoid with high level spell casting and 1 round of being paralyzed was enough to turn the combat around)

djreynolds
2016-04-23, 11:13 PM
I'm finding armor very hard to come by in Ravenloft, especially heavier armor. At the places I've been to so far, nothing over 25gp from the player's handbook is available, and then prices are 10x the listed cost.
On the other hand, you're a cleric in the land of undead. I'd think you want to boost your Wis fast, and use your divine bits more.

I'm doing a light cleric, halfling, but I'm standing right behind our Paladin most of the time. Doing fire and radiant damage is saving our bacon, not to mention a certain magic item that will throw sunlight. (Actually, Hold Person also saved our group, since we were facing a humanoid with high level spell casting and 1 round of being paralyzed was enough to turn the combat around)

I think you're right, you have to prepare for the future. I think a higher wisdom will pay off, even just for the bonus to healing.

Now if someone one would roll up a tank, that would be nice.

coredump
2016-04-23, 11:33 PM
Now here's the circumstances, no one in our party but I wear chainmail or heavy armor, and often I have to man the front lines.

We have a archer/ranger, warlock, bladesinger, dex based barbarian (who is not always present), a mystic warrior, and a new sorcerer(who may or may not show up).

Wait...what? Why is the Life Cleric on the front line? The Bladesinger and Dex Barbarian should both have very good AC, as should the mystic warrior (EK?)

You should be behind them.... healing as needed.

HAM stays pretty relevant, but a Life Cleric should not be in the front lines long enough to find out.

djreynolds
2016-04-24, 12:27 AM
Wait...what? Why is the Life Cleric on the front line? The Bladesinger and Dex Barbarian should both have very good AC, as should the mystic warrior (EK?)

You should be behind them.... healing as needed.

HAM stays pretty relevant, but a Life Cleric should not be in the front lines long enough to find out.

The bladesinger is new and the barbarian never shows.

Wikith
2016-04-25, 12:58 AM
I know this doesn't help you now but if you do take the ASI for wisdom look into the level one dip into Fighter the level after. Naturally it's delaying your spells but if you find yourself reserving those slots for healing that shouldn't affect you too much; in return you're getting more HP, more AC (or damage), and a self-heal. I would only do this though if multiclass is an option in your setting (of course) and you want to go into a more tanky role.

BladeWing81
2016-04-25, 08:21 AM
this might be a little of a spoiler but barovia has death house which has a cloak of protection, If' you're willing to go through the house you can get a nice boost to ac, Saving throws and +2 initiative.