PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility & Counterspell

Damionte
2007-06-23, 06:25 PM
Hey gang,

This lvl I picked up Dispell Magic as a spell like ability. So knowing I will probably try to counterspell a couple times before the end of the campaign I'd like to get a few things straigtened out, or at least pre-argued before it comes up at the gaming table.

I have a couple question regarding invisibility and counterspelling. I'm looking for both RAW rulings and what you think it "should" be.

1st Is a counterspell considered an offensive targeted spell? The likes of which would break your own invisibility.

2nd If your opponent is invisible should you be able to counter thier spells. Assuming you had some way of knowing they were casting even if you could not see them. Like a listen check vs a verbal component spell. That sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.... :)

Starsinger
2007-06-23, 06:30 PM
1. Let's see... you're stripping them of buffs, I'd consider that offensive if someone did it to me... so yes, I'd say it would strip your invisibility.

Err.. you asked for a counter spell... I'd still say yes, just because noone likes being counter spelled.

2. How would you know they're casting spells? Presumably from the Verbal component? If counterspelling doesn't require Line of Sight, then I suppose you could counter spell form Verbal component alone...

Raum
2007-06-23, 07:31 PM
1. No, counter spelling won't break your own invisibility. From the SRD:
For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth.Counter spelling potentially causes indirect harm, but it's directly affecting the creation of a spell, not a foe.

Note, using Dispel Magic on an opponent (whether targeted or area) does meet the above definition of an attack and would end your invisibility.

2. Yes, you can counter spell an invisible caster - as long as the spell has a verbal component. From the SRD:
Identify a spell being cast. (You must see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components.) No action required. No retry. Emphasis added.