PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Sets

Arkhios
2016-04-23, 11:48 AM
I suppose this might better belong to Homebrewing subforum, but I thought I'd ask people's opinions in general discussion regarding 5th edition stuff.

I had an idea of paired swords, which, while separated, would act as if Swords of Vengeance, but when brought together, both would lose their "curse" and instead grant some rider effect when dual wielded, possibly some sort of "rend" effect if you hit at least once with each weapon on your turn.
By rend I was thinking maybe an additional damage die/dice based on the weapons in question.

How much would be appropriate for the damage, and how rare should something like this be?

Also, if you have any other similar ideas, or know where I could find them, please share!

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-23, 11:54 AM
I suppose this might better belong to Homebrewing subforum, but I thought I'd ask people's opinions in general discussion regarding 5th edition stuff.

I had an idea of paired swords, which, while separated, would act as if Swords of Vengeance, but when brought together, both would lose their "curse" and instead grant some rider effect when dual wielded, possibly some sort of "rend" effect if you hit at least once with each weapon on your turn.
By rend I was thinking maybe an additional damage die/dice based on the weapons in question.

How much would be appropriate for the damage, and how rare should something like this be?

Also, if you have any other similar ideas, or know where I could find them, please share!
There's the set quality of the Hand and Eye of Vecna. (See the DMG for details, page 224).

There's the Hammer of Thunderbolts, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and any Belt of Giant Strength set called Giant's Bane (page 173, DMG).

Note that both items are legendary.

Arkhios
2016-04-23, 12:07 PM
There's the set quality of the Hand and Eye of Vecna. (See the DMG for details, page 224).

There's the Hammer of Thunderbolts, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and any Belt of Giant Strength set called Giant's Bane (page 173, DMG).

Note that both items are legendary.

Thanks, I forgot those completely. I'll check them out when I can :)

Renvir
2016-04-25, 04:46 PM
You could make them common, legendary, or anywhere in between. The difference comes down to how powerful the effect is. Let's say the two swords are cursed and give -1 to attack and damage rolls when wielded separately. However, when one person wields both they now act as +1 swords. The overall effect is just +1 to your attacks and damage for each strike. That's probably uncommon level rarity, maybe up to rare just for being paired like they are.

Let's say instead when they are paired they become magical and one deals 1d6 fire damage while the other deals 1d6 cold damage. Those are going to be much better and harder to come by. Probably rare or very rare for that benefit.

Using the DMG you can either look at the creating your own weapon section for details or just compare your new item to something that already exists and has a similar effect. If they require attunement that could bring down the rarity (trade off for not being able to use some other magical item) while not requiring attunement and having a good effect could make them very rare or legendary.

sxmedicus
2016-04-26, 09:13 AM
If homebrewing its not strong on you, try just giving simple class abilities to your weapons
The rend one could be like the colossus slayer +1d8.. but on a target which you already hit this turn, once per round. The twin swords of the ranger

Or something on the line of Maneuvers: a certain Dragonslayers Spear(a Halberd) that lets you use the Tripping attack maneuver once per day, adding the +1d8 as thundering damage. But only if you wear certain magical +1Plate armor(Ornstein's armor)

Or lets say a Long sword and shield that when paired let you use Lay on hands for 10hps as normal

Using the class abilities its easy since they already are balanced somehow

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-26, 09:17 AM
For the rend damage I would make it equal to the base damage of the two weapons. So 2d6 for two short swords.