PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiclassing Advice

supergoji18
2016-04-23, 12:45 PM
In a campaign i'm playing in, my sorcerer character managed to get on the good side of a necromancer/warlock and if my DM is merciful he may be able to tutor my character in the ways of the darker forms of the arcane.

So i'm going to take 3 levels of Warlock.

Now before you all start crying out in rage about how typical this is, please don't. I'm not trying to be a munchkin here, I just feel it is a fitting thing for my character to do.

With that said, I need some advice on what I should take with these three levels? Here is some info about my character and the necromancer/warlock
- my character is a level 4 human draconic sorcerer, and is obsessed with discovering the origins of his power, becoming as much like a dragon as possible, and learning more magic.
- In character, I know the man is a necromancer of great power who deals in some very cool forms of magic. Out of character, I know he is a very evil warlock who is trying to make a deal with a god of undeath. How do I know this and my character does not? Because I rolled a critical failure on my Arcana for identifying the ritual and then another miserable failure on my insight check when he told me it was "zombie theater."

Here is what I need advice on:
- what kind of patron would make sense? I am thinking either Great Old One because I really like the telepathy feature or the Undying one because it seems fitting with the necromancer master.
- What invocations should I take? I don't feel like taking Agonizing Blast because I would rather take something more versatile/defensive like Devil's Sight (i'm literally the only member of our group that doesn't have darkvision), Eldritch Sight, Eyes of the Rune Keeper, or Misty Visions.
- Which boon should I take? I could have a pseudodragon familiar and have a ton of fun being a draconic sorcerer with a mini pet dragon, or I could go for Pact of the Tome and be even more versatile with tons of cool spells. I don't think pact of the blade fits with my character. If I go for the familiar, I may take Voice of the Chain Master for some awesome RP value. If I go for the Tome, I'll definitely go for Book of Ancient Secrets invocation for all the extra spells.

Also, would it make any lick of sense to say my patron is a dragon or dragon deity? Because if so that would be awesome!

Nicodiemus
2016-04-24, 08:00 AM
If I was the DM, I'd rule that you'd have to have the same patron as the Warlock who is "grooming" you. It would only make sense that doing that would get him in good with his patron and also the path to servitude of another patron might be totally different. A fiendlock couldn't teach someone how to be a GOOlock. Of course your DM might not think that way.

Jarlhen
2016-04-24, 09:04 AM
You say that your character is obsessed with learning more about his draconic origins and becoming a dragon. Now I don't know your character at all, but based on that sentence alone the rest of what you're saying doesn't make sense to me. If he's obsessed with the draconic aspect of his life and of magic then becoming a warlock is the polar opposite of what he should be doing on a magical scale. And I think the character would realize that VERY quickly. It really looks like you're trying to power play and in so doing you're attempting to force the warlock thing to fit what you want. And there's nothing wrong with that in my book, I love building strong characters. But I really can't see how a warlock would fit someone obsessed with dragons and his draconic origin and sorcerous magics. You're already there, you're already doing that, focus should be on delving deeper on these issues but if you go the warlock route you'll be going an entirely different way.

So with your character goals in mind, I'd tell the warlock to give me some books then bugger off as he has nothing to offer. Unless the necromancer, who you'll soon realize is not a necromancer, has promised to raise an ancient dragon for you to ask questions that is.

Addaran
2016-04-24, 09:18 AM
Also, would it make any lick of sense to say my patron is a dragon or dragon deity? Because if so that would be awesome!

Not sure about your alignment or color of heritage, but fiend patron could easily be refluffed with minimal changes. Either you change the the spells to fit the right element or your patron is a red/gold dragon. It could also be Tiamat, since she's kinda a fiend.

supergoji18
2016-04-24, 01:06 PM
You say that your character is obsessed with learning more about his draconic origins and becoming a dragon. Now I don't know your character at all, but based on that sentence alone the rest of what you're saying doesn't make sense to me. If he's obsessed with the draconic aspect of his life and of magic then becoming a warlock is the polar opposite of what he should be doing on a magical scale. And I think the character would realize that VERY quickly. It really looks like you're trying to power play and in so doing you're attempting to force the warlock thing to fit what you want. And there's nothing wrong with that in my book, I love building strong characters. But I really can't see how a warlock would fit someone obsessed with dragons and his draconic origin and sorcerous magics. You're already there, you're already doing that, focus should be on delving deeper on these issues but if you go the warlock route you'll be going an entirely different way.

So with your character goals in mind, I'd tell the warlock to give me some books then bugger off as he has nothing to offer. Unless the necromancer, who you'll soon realize is not a necromancer, has promised to raise an ancient dragon for you to ask questions that is.

My character is interested in gaining as much magic power as possible because he thinks that if he gets a crap ton of it he'll be able to transform into a dragon. In our campaign there is a story about someone who once did something like that, which is what inspired by character to start his adventuring career.

If my character has a patron, it would make things easier for him. He'd get some extra powers and outside help in exchange for some goods and services (at least that's how he sees it). The patron could guide him in the right direction, help find information he can't find normally, etc. Yes, this is very naive of him. He isn't people smart. He's the kind of person that would go up to a Chromatic Dragon optimistically in hopes it would talk to him (and he would have had the necromancer not talked him out of it).

However, it looks like I won't be able to get any training from him anyway. Our last session seemed to imply that his ritual went horribly wrong and he summoned something he shouldn't have.