PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sendo: Way of the Hermit (Monk Subclass)

Pyon
2016-04-23, 01:41 PM
Hi! Have you watched Jojo Part I and II? Did you love the ripple? So did I! Let's build a monk based on the capabilities of the ripple users!

For non Jojo fans, the ripple (or hamon as it was originally called) is a force that runs through humans and can be harnessed through breathing. It's a very hard thing to master, but it's applications are endless. It is compared to "the energy of the sun" and so it's very harmful to undead creatures. It also works a lot like ki, making it very flavorful for the monk to have it.

Thoughts? I'm not sure how well this is balanced... I know it has some really strong points to it which is why I need the inputs!

Sendo; Way of the Hermit
Monks of the Way of the Hermit are trained in the ripple, the energy gained through breathing. Their techniques put them at an advantage against undead creatures, and allow them to be a force to be reckoned with in and out of combat. The Way of the Hermit isn't an easy path either, the first step has to be taught by someone fairly skilled in it. What happens next is all up to the user, as they search for their own path in the ways of the ripple.

Trained Breathing
At level 3, you have trained your breathing beyond what a normal person can, and have gained the ripple. You may hold your breath for 10 minutes longer than you normally would. However, you cannot perform any of the ripple techniques while holding your breath or suffocating.

Ripple Overdrive
At level 3, you can channel your ripple into your attacks. After successfully hitting with a melee attack, you may spend up to 5 Ki points to deal 1d6 Radiant Damage for each Ki point spent. Undead creatures take an additional 3d6 radiant damage.

Utility Ripple
At level 6, you gain the ability to channel your ripple energy into various applications. You gain the ability to perform any of the following abilities.
Ripple Walk You may spend 1 Ki point as an action to give yourself the ability to walk on liquids for 10 minutes.
Ripple Cutter You may spend 2 Ki points as a bonus to enchant any tiny object with ripple energy for 10 minutes. This object can be thrown as a ranged weapon which you are considered proficient with. On a hit, this object deals 1d6 radiant damage, plus 3d6 if the target is an Undead creature. It loses this property after a single attack.
Ripple Detector You may spend 3 ki points as an action to spread your ripple over an area of 300 feet. Until you move, you are aware of the position of any creatures in the area as long as they are touching the ground. You are aware of their position in relation to you, but not what creatures they are. This ability goes up and down stairs, slopes, through walls, as long as they are connected to the same surface you are touching.
Ripple Healing You may spend 3 ki points as an action to neutralize all harmful poisons from a creature's body. You need to touch the creature to do this.
Ripple Boomerang After making a ranged attack as a bonus action you may spend 2 ki points to make another ranged attack against the same target as your weapon returns to you. After the attack, the weapon returns to your hand.
Ripple Wall Climb You may spend 3 ki points as a bonus action to gain the effects of the Spider Climb spell for 10 minutes.
Other The ripple's true power comes from the user's creativity. You may suggest other uses for the ripple to your GM. The GM sets a ki cost for it and what type of action it uses, and has final say if it's possible.

Zoom Punch
At 11th level, you gain the ability to dislocate your arm painlessly. You may use a bonus action to give your unarmed strikes the "reach" property and creatures provoke opportunity of attack when they enter your threatened area until the start of your next turn.

Ripple Efficiency
At 17th level you have mastered the basic uses of the ripple. You may use any of the abilities found in the "Utility Ripple" table without using ki points.

Final Hyena
2016-04-23, 06:00 PM
The extra d6 damage feels like a side grade to flurry it does less damage but compacts it into fewer rounds. And that's the majority of the (damage) power of this archetype.

It's a very fun class, just needs more welly.

Pyon
2016-04-23, 06:03 PM
The extra d6 damage feels like a side grade to flurry it does less damage but compacts it into fewer rounds. And that's the majority of the (damage) power of this archetype.

It's a very fun class, just needs more welly.

Note: it's worded just like smite. So you can attack, flurry, and proc Overdrive on any of those hits. So this class has a lot more nova potential than any of the existing Monk paths I believe.

Final Hyena
2016-04-23, 06:19 PM
I understood the way it works. Although I failed to consider that the d6 is guaranteed damage whereas a flurry which is not in my comparisons.

When taking miss chance of a flurry into account I would value the damage rate at roughly the same at level 3 (d4 martial +3 dex). So generally it's always better to burn all your ki into the attack.

I still believe it's weak late game.

Pyon
2016-04-23, 07:11 PM
Really? Well I actually nerfed it do a d6 from the smite's original d8... Should I buff it up to a d8? Maybe more 1d6 per ki point?

Final Hyena
2016-04-23, 07:26 PM
The power is fine on it's own, it's just that you need other features that are strong, in particular your two later game features lack punch.

Rogem
2016-04-26, 11:27 AM
Ripple Detector You may spend 3 ki points as an action to spread your ripple over an area of 300 feet. Until you move, you are aware of the position of any creatures in the area as long as they are touching the ground. You are aware of their position in relation to you, but not what creatures they are.

Does it extend through walls, and up/down stairs, ramps and slopes?

Otherwise, I don't see really anything wrong with it. Although, the level 11 feature feels a little powerless.

Pyon
2016-04-27, 04:58 PM
Does it extend through walls, and up/down stairs, ramps and slopes?

Otherwise, I don't see really anything wrong with it. Although, the level 11 feature feels a little powerless.

I should add a bit on the walls stairs ramps and slopes yeah...

Also is it really that weak? If it is I'll buff the cost down to 1... I always thought reach to be something amazing. But, I have an idea on how to make it stronger.

Rogem
2016-04-28, 11:33 AM
I should add a bit on the walls stairs ramps and slopes yeah...

Also is it really that weak? If it is I'll buff the cost down to 1... I always thought reach to be something amazing. But, I have an idea on how to make it stronger.

Yeah, reach isn't very strong, especially when you're using ki to gain the benefit when you can already use ki to make two additional unarmed attacks. You could make it be 2 or 3 ki for 1 minute, and then I can see it being useful.