PDA

View Full Version : Player Character Classes Are Dead (5e Campaign Setting)

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 03:34 PM
I'm going to work, somewhat slowly, on a campaign setting built around the idea that there at one time were adventurers and heroes, ones that we would call "PCs" but they have all died off and the kingdom's have pooled their magic item and tech together to make new teams of adventurers.

These new adventurers will be commoners of all shapes and sizes who were able to attune to magic items or use them in ways others can not.

They will gain no class features from PC classes.

They will all be able to customize their character based on items and magic items.

I'll need 5 more posts after this one :)

Non-Homebrew Thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485880-PCs-are-dead-Enter-magic-items

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 03:35 PM
Post 2/6 for PCs Are Dead Campaign Setting

Levels, Proficiencies, HP, and Backgrounds.

At level 1 you gain... Background, Racial Traits, Ability Scores, 2 Skills, Additional Background Proficiencies, HP (based on background).

Background: Use the standard 5e background system. However the DM and Player will talk about any additional proficiencies that the background may give them such as armor and weapon proficiencies.

Racial Traits: All players are a typical member of their race. Racial ASI are set 1st a flat +2/+1. Variant Human is banned.

Ability Scores: Generate ability scores as normal.

Additional Skills: The player may choose two skills of their choice. The GM may provide each player with one additional skill of necessary to flesh out a player's concept or background.

HP: All background have the same hit die. Everyone has a d8 hit die. At each level you gain 5 + Con Modifier HP. Race and items may change this number in some way.

Saving Throws: Mix of 4e and 5e.

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + Str or Con Mod + Prof Bonus (if prof).

Reflex Save: 1d20 + Dex or Int Mod + Prof Bonus (if prof)

Will Save: 1d20 + Wis or Cha Mod + Prof Bonus (if prof)

Each player character can choose one to be proficient in. The other save comes from your GM who will base their decision on your background.

Example Background

HD: d8

Armor, Shields, and Weapons: Depending on your deity you will have proficiency in certain armors, shields, and weapons.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Religion

Tool Proficiency: Ceremonious Tools and Med Kit of Herbalism Kit

Languages: Two of your choice

Equipment: A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood), a prayer book or prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15 gp

Feature: Shelter of the Faithful (as normal)

Personal Traits (as normal)

HD: d8

Armor, Shields, and Weapons: Survivalist typically are proficient with light and medium armors not made of metal (except chain shirts) but are not typically proficient with shields. They are typically proficient with any non-military weapon.

Skill Proficiency: Animal Handling, Survival

Tool Proficiency: Navigation Tool of your choice and either a Med Kit or the Herbalism Kit

Languages: Gain one language of your choice, this is a language of a people you associate, trade, or somehow deal with that isn't your own.

Equipment: As Outlander

Personality Traits: As Outlander

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 03:36 PM
Post 3/6 for PCs Are Dead Campaign Setting

Magic Item Slots

Head

Body

Arms

Hands

Legs

Feet

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 03:37 PM
Post 4/6 for PCs Are Dead Campaign Setting

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 03:38 PM
Post 5/6 for PCs Are Dead Campaign Setting

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 03:39 PM
Post 6/6 for PCs Are Dead Campaign Setting.

Totally need a new name but that can come way later.

Final Hyena
2016-04-23, 06:08 PM
The biggest thing seems to be the backgrounds as they give you armour/weapon proficiencies. Balancing them against each other seems like the most important thing, aside from that do they get saving throw proficiencies from anywhere?

R.Shackleford
2016-04-23, 06:27 PM
The biggest thing seems to be the backgrounds as they give you armour/weapon proficiencies. Balancing them against each other seems like the most important thing, aside from that do they get saving throw proficiencies from anywhere?

I've been thinking about saving throw proficiencies and well...

I figured that with the removal of Racial ASI (just giving the player the choice of +2/+1) I could give each race two saving throw proficiencies and the player a choice of a third.

Halfling: Dexterity and Charisma Saving Throw Prof.

Player: Choice of Con or Wis.

But that seems troublesome.

Might just go Fort/Ref/Will and let the players pick the two that suits their characters. Maybe pick one and the DM picks the other?

I kinda like the "just pick two" approach.

I'm thinking of getting rid of weapon and armor profs. Armor isn't that hard to use, the notion that it makes you worse is a hilarious aspect of D&D. Since all weapons you use will be magical... They could just grant prof in that weapon. You won't be picking up a pitchfork to fight but picking up a +2 Pitchfork of Serenity.

The magic helps guide the weapon, you just need the strength and endurance to wield it.