PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Adamintite armor boost to legendary

Ketiara
2016-04-23, 06:29 PM
So I have a friend, and he has gotten a studdet adamintium armor, and I allowed that piece because he deserved it. He later realized it was a raw breaker (I always thought he knew) but once he realized he wanted to redo it, but I still allowed him to keep it.
He is an eldrich knight lvl 19 and the party need him to NOT being killed by the BBEG crit! But as this is my choice im not asking how or why its a bad one, I need some help to get some ideas what he could unlock in his armor as he do quests, investigations or inventions to his armor. I mean now that I already cheat and use my own rules, I might aswell do it proerly.

So: Adamantite studded leather armor... what other stuff would hide inhere if it was a legendary, sentient or artifact...
I would really like some ideas both for the abilities but also ideas what would unlock them...

Ketiara
2016-04-23, 06:38 PM
So I have a friend, and he has gotten a studdet adamintium armor, and I allowed that piece because he deserved it. He later realized it was a raw breaker (I always thought he knew) but once he realized he wanted to redo it, but I still allowed him to keep it.
He is an eldrich knight lvl 19 and the party need him to NOT being killed by the BBEG crit! But as this is my choice im not asking how or why its a bad one, I need some help to get some ideas what he could unlock in his armor as he do quests, investigations or inventions to his armor. I mean now that I already cheat and use my own rules, I might aswell do it proerly.

So: Adamantite studded leather armor... what other stuff would hide inhere if it was a legendary, sentient or artifact...
I would really like some ideas both for the abilities but also ideas what would unlock them...

As I think about it, I would really like the armor to "activate" as they roam through the dead lich's tower... perhaps the tower activate the next ability, perhaps the armor start talking to him... something like that! But I would really like some ideas for this armor to make it awesome and cool, mostely cool! but not overpowered anymore than it already is.

I feel I have some cool RP ready for this armor, but how would this armor be like, and what would it do?

Baptor
2016-04-24, 12:21 AM
OK so I know very little about whats going on here other than its adamantine armor, the player is an EK, and the bad guy is a lich, and you want the armor to slowly gain powers.

1. The armor isn't magical yet. Adamantine is just a special material. So the magic needs to come from somewhere. Well the owner is a magic-user and the bbeg is a magic-user so there is something. How about this: as the EK weaves his spells through his body in this evil, enchanted lich's tower, his magic pulls something from the tower into the armor. Perhaps, if you want to be kind, its the lost spirit of someone murdered by the lich. The spirit now inhabits the armor and wants to help the EK gain vengeance on the lich. Depending on how powerful you want this to be/go, the spirit might help defend the EK by offering advice and lore, providing a counterspell 1/rest or even magic resistance.

Another route is not so nice. The magic pulls into the armor an evil spirit. Perhaps a rival of the lich or something. Someone who wants the lich destroyed so he will help but also evil so he's mischievous, treacherous, and the help he offers isn't moral. Perhaps the armor can lash out at attacks or perhaps heals him whenever he kills and takes a life. Something like that.

Ketiara
2016-04-24, 04:55 PM
OK so I know very little about whats going on here other than its adamantine armor, the player is an EK, and the bad guy is a lich, and you want the armor to slowly gain powers.

1. The armor isn't magical yet. Adamantine is just a special material. So the magic needs to come from somewhere. Well the owner is a magic-user and the bbeg is a magic-user so there is something. How about this: as the EK weaves his spells through his body in this evil, enchanted lich's tower, his magic pulls something from the tower into the armor. Perhaps, if you want to be kind, its the lost spirit of someone murdered by the lich. The spirit now inhabits the armor and wants to help the EK gain vengeance on the lich. Depending on how powerful you want this to be/go, the spirit might help defend the EK by offering advice and lore, providing a counterspell 1/rest or even magic resistance.

Another route is not so nice. The magic pulls into the armor an evil spirit. Perhaps a rival of the lich or something. Someone who wants the lich destroyed so he will help but also evil so he's mischievous, treacherous, and the help he offers isn't moral. Perhaps the armor can lash out at attacks or perhaps heals him whenever he kills and takes a life. Something like that.

I like the part of the Armor helping our player, and I have a little game worked out in my head where the armor helps if he stay on a GOOD course, if he strays he wont get the help. But the counterspell is just something that the EK can already do, its rather boring if you ask me... the resistance may be something, but it will be very powerful, Im thinking that ability will be a later/last ability.
some low lvl spells like armor og agathys or the like may be a route to go... any suggestions?

Sander
2016-04-24, 05:22 PM
We actually had a similar armor in the last campaign I played in. In this case, the paladin/sorcerer inherited a set of Adamantine Plate consisting of golden scales. It started off as just adamantine plate, and then improved as the character increased in levels and did quests related to the armor, some of these triggered by acting in a way that befit the armor's last owner (some sort of legendary dragon knight). Also, when the party came upon sources of great magical power, the armor would sorta steer the player towards them, to claim them as its own. Very powerhungry and draconic behaviour like that. It then became +1, granted fire resistance and a bunch of other smaller goodies. Ended up being quite the amazing legendary/artifact. This power, however, came at a cost. Each time the armor gained a power, its inherent curse deepened. This started off as not being able to remove the armor (he originally got it because he sorta died and was then entombed in the armor, and now it keeps him alive). Then it took some HP permanently instead of an attunement slot. Then it caused him to not be able to sleep on anything other than a stack of gold coins or furniture made of gold (A Gold Dragon's Curse) among other things. A constantly evovling armor, it was actually really cool.

N810
2016-04-25, 08:48 AM
Perhaps, have it secretly "absorb" magic as he gets hit with magic attacks,
secretly track the damage, and when he reaches certain thresholds
have the magic abilities of the armor unlock (one at a time if it has lots).

Theodoxus
2016-04-25, 05:44 PM
Here are the artifacts I build for my current party. They're currently 5th level.

First up is the Mask of War - a warlock bonded item from Szuriel, the Horseman of War

1st Level: Devil's Sight, usable 1/short rest for 1 hour.
2nd Level: Any weapons held are considered Magic for overcoming resistance.
3rd Level: Any weapons held become +1 to Hit and Damage.
4th Level: Any weapons held crit on a 19-20 (or 18-20, if a crit range is granted by a class feature).
5th Level: Converts Temporary Hit Points into real Hit Points on a 1:1 basis. Any leftover stay Temporary.
6th Level: AC increases by +1
7th Level: All Saving Throws increase by +1
8th Level: Summon a Purrodaemon. Requires a mortal sacrifice.
9th Level: Any weapons held become +2 to Hit and Damage
10th Level: Can use Rage, as per the barbarian ability, 3 times / long rest. All benefits and limitations apply.
11th Level: Can use the Weapon Steep ability on self (see Purrodaemon). Weapons enchanted this way are always Wounding.
12th Level: Gain the use of Second Wind (1d10+character level) 1 / rest (Number of times stack if granted by a class feature.)
13th Level: AC increases by +1 (+2 total)
14th Level: All Saving Throws increase by +1 (+2 total)
15th Level: Can cast Vampiric Touch as a Bonus Action through a weapon attack, recharge on a 19 or 20 (d20).
16th Level: Any weapons held become +3 to Hit and Damage
17th Level: AC increases by +1 (+3 total)
18th Level: Any weapons held crit on a 18-20 (or 16-20, if a crit range is granted by a class feature)
19th Level: All Saving Throws increase by +1 (+3 total)
20th Level: Become the Avatar of Szuiel

Next is a cloak for a Barbarian/Ranger. He sacrificed his animal companion to unlock the powers.
While wearing the cloak you gain the following abilities, up to your current level.
Cloak of Rage
1st level: When you rage, you have the option of becoming a large bear
2nd level: +1 AC
3rd level: Advantage on Wisdom Saves vs Enchantment effects
4th level: Damage Immunities: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons
5th level: Once a round, you can make a Multiattack in place of an Attack or Opportunity Attack
6th level:+1 Additional Rage per day
7th level: +2 AC
8th level +1 to Saving Throws
9th level: When you rage, you have the option of becoming a werebear
10th level: +2 Additional Rages per day
11th level: Weapons you use have their dice increased by 1. (a 1d8 warhammer becomes 2d8; a 2d6 Greatsword becomes 3d6)
12th level: +3 AC
13th level: +2 to Saving Throws
14th level: +3 Additional Rages per day
15th level: You can transform into a bear or werebear even when not raging.

The Staff of the Powerful Magical Elements, for my Arcane Cleric/Lore Bard player:
Staff of the Powerful Magical Elements: [Legacy] This crystal staff glows in the color of the elemental power it emanates that day. Once attuned, it forms a deep bond with its owner, growing in power as they do and unlocking vast magical powers. Considered to be a gift from Nethys, only an Arcane domain cleric can unlock its fullest potential. When wielded by a sorcerer, warlock or wizard, it behaves as a Staff of Fire.

At dawn, roll d8 to see what element it is for the day.

All: Arcane Lock (0), Detect Magic (0), Light (0), Mage Hand (0), Protection from Evil and Good (0), Chromatic Orb [Only of the type the staff is that day] (1)
1 - Acid (Green): Acid Splash (0), Melf's Acid Arrow (1), Acid Line [as lightning bolt] (3)
2 - Cold (Blue): Ray of Frost (0), Ice Knife (1), Ice Storm (4), Cone of Cold (5)
3 - Fire (Red): Firebolt (0), Burning hands (1), Fireball (3), Wall of fire (4)
4 - Lightning (Purple): Shocking grasp (0), Witch bolt (1), Lightning Bolt (3)
5 - Necrotic (Grey): Inflict Wounds (1), Ray of Sickness (1), Blindness/Deafness (2), Animate Dead (3)
6 - Psychic (Pink): Vicious Mockery (0), Sleep (1), Phantasmal Force (2), Hypnotic Pattern (3)
7 - Radiant (Yellow): Guiding bolt (1), Cure Wounds (2), Spirit Guardians (3)
8 - Thunder (White): Thunderclap (0), Thunderwave (1), Storm sphere (4)

Can spend up to the number of charges equal to your maximum spell slot available. (At 5th level, can use spells that cost up to 3 charges.)

Additional level dependent abilities
1) 20 charges, regaining 2d8+4 daily at dawn. Spells unlocked: Magic Missile (1), Ray of Enfeeblement (1)
2) +1 Hit/Dam with the staff
3) Retributive Strike. You can use an action to break the staff over your knee or against a solid surface, performing a retributive strike. The staff is destroyed and releases its remaining magic in an explosion that expands to fill a 30-foot-radius sphere centered on it.
You have a 50 percent chance to instantly travel to a random plane of existence, avoiding the explosion. If you fail to avoid the effect, you take force damage equal to 16 × the number of charges in the staff. Every other creature in the area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes an amount of damage based on how far away it is from the point of origin; Within 10' = 8x, 11-20' = 6x, 21-30' = 4x. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage. Spells unlocked: Flaming Sphere (2), Invisibility (2), Knock (2), Levitate (2), Web (2)
4) +1 AC while wielding the staff
5) Spell Absorption. While holding the staff, you have advantage on saving throws against spells. In addition, you can use your reaction when another creature casts a spell that targets only you. If you do, the staff absorbs the magic of the spell, canceling its effect and gaining a number of charges equal to the absorbed spell’s level. However, if doing so brings the staff’s total number of charges above 50, the staff explodes as if you activated its retributive strike. Spells unlocked: Dispel Magic (3)
6) Spell Advancement: Can expend one extra charge on spells to increase their effective level. Can still only expend number of charges equal to or less than the highest spell slot available.
7) +1 to Spell DCs while wielding the staff. Spells unlocked: Ice Storm (4), Wall of Stone (4)
8) +2 to Hit/Dam with the staff
9) Can Choose which Element the staff will function as for the day. Spells unlocked: Cone of Cold (5), Fireball [as 5th level] (5), Hold Monster (5), Lightning Bolt [as 5th level] (5), Passwall (5), Telekinesis (5), Wall of Force (5)
10) 50 charges, regaining 4d6+2 daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 20, the staff regains 1d12+1 charges.
11) Spells unlocked: Globe of Invulnerability (6)
12) +2 AC while wielding the staff
13) Spells unlocked: Conjure Elemental (7), Fireball [as 7th level] (7), Lightning Bolt [as 7th level] (7), Plane Shift (7)
14) Spell Advancement: Can expend up to 2 extra charges on spells to increase their effective level. Can still only expend number of charges equal to or less than the highest spell slot available.
15) +2 to Spell DCs while wielding the staff.

and finally, the Armor of Agathys - Mithril platemail for my winged tielfling Oathbreaker/necromancer player:
Mithril Platemail that provides a +1 AC and +1 spell DC bonus. It has three black smokey tendrils
out the back shoulderblades.
The black tendrils provide specific benefits that increase as you gain power.
Each tendril is tied specifically to an action, a bonus action and a reaction. Once used, each can't be used again until you've take a short or long rest.
The Action tendril can:
1) animate a dead corpse within 5' as a zombie. The zombie rises on the next round on its own initiative. It remains under your control until it is destroyed.
2) cast any of your prepared spells with a casting time of 1 Action. This casting must happen on your initiative, but can happen at any time during your turn.
3) make a melee attack within 15', using your Strength, Dex or Int attack, as you desire. On a hit, the attack deals 5d10+attack mod necrotic damage that can't be resisted, but does not bypass immunity.

The Bonus Action tendril can:
1) animate a dead corpse within 5' as a zombie. The zombie rises on the next round on its own initiative. It remains under your control until it is destroyed.
2) grant any of the following on your turn: a bonus Dash, Disengage, Help, Hide or Spell casting [this essentially Quickens any spell cast]
3) make a melee attack within 15', using your Strength, Dex or Int attack, as you desire. On a hit, the attack deals 3d10+attack mod poison damage that can't be resisted, but does not bypass immunity. Any damage incurred is drained from the victim and given to you as healing. Alternately, you can designate a receipient within 15 feet of you to receive half the healing gained.

The Reaction tendril can:
2) cast any of the following spells even if they're not prepared: Absorb Elements, Counterspell, Feather Fall or Shield. These can only be cast as a reaction not on your turn.
3) make an melee opportunity attack with 5', using your Strength, Dex or Int attack, as you desire. On a hit, the attack deals 2d10+attack mod magical bludgeoning damage that also strangulates, incapacitating anything whose Con score or HP total [whichever is smaller] is less than the amount of damage done. The victim remains unconscious until they've been damaged, or until a number of minutes equal to the damage that was been inflicted has transpired. Unconscious victims wake up on their initiative.

Ketiara
2016-04-27, 02:23 PM
Here are the artifacts I build for my current party. They're currently 5th level.

First up is the Mask of War - a warlock bonded item from Szuriel, the Horseman of War

1st Level: Devil's Sight, usable 1/short rest for 1 hour.
2nd Level: Any weapons held are considered Magic for overcoming resistance.
3rd Level: Any weapons held become +1 to Hit and Damage.
4th Level: Any weapons held crit on a 19-20 (or 18-20, if a crit range is granted by a class feature).
5th Level: Converts Temporary Hit Points into real Hit Points on a 1:1 basis. Any leftover stay Temporary.
6th Level: AC increases by +1
7th Level: All Saving Throws increase by +1
8th Level: Summon a Purrodaemon. Requires a mortal sacrifice.
9th Level: Any weapons held become +2 to Hit and Damage
10th Level: Can use Rage, as per the barbarian ability, 3 times / long rest. All benefits and limitations apply.
11th Level: Can use the Weapon Steep ability on self (see Purrodaemon). Weapons enchanted this way are always Wounding.
12th Level: Gain the use of Second Wind (1d10+character level) 1 / rest (Number of times stack if granted by a class feature.)
13th Level: AC increases by +1 (+2 total)
14th Level: All Saving Throws increase by +1 (+2 total)
15th Level: Can cast Vampiric Touch as a Bonus Action through a weapon attack, recharge on a 19 or 20 (d20).
16th Level: Any weapons held become +3 to Hit and Damage
17th Level: AC increases by +1 (+3 total)
18th Level: Any weapons held crit on a 18-20 (or 16-20, if a crit range is granted by a class feature)
19th Level: All Saving Throws increase by +1 (+3 total)
20th Level: Become the Avatar of Szuiel

Next is a cloak for a Barbarian/Ranger. He sacrificed his animal companion to unlock the powers.
While wearing the cloak you gain the following abilities, up to your current level.
Cloak of Rage
1st level: When you rage, you have the option of becoming a large bear
2nd level: +1 AC
3rd level: Advantage on Wisdom Saves vs Enchantment effects
4th level: Damage Immunities: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons
5th level: Once a round, you can make a Multiattack in place of an Attack or Opportunity Attack
6th level:+1 Additional Rage per day
7th level: +2 AC
8th level +1 to Saving Throws
9th level: When you rage, you have the option of becoming a werebear
10th level: +2 Additional Rages per day
11th level: Weapons you use have their dice increased by 1. (a 1d8 warhammer becomes 2d8; a 2d6 Greatsword becomes 3d6)
12th level: +3 AC
13th level: +2 to Saving Throws
14th level: +3 Additional Rages per day
15th level: You can transform into a bear or werebear even when not raging.

The Staff of the Powerful Magical Elements, for my Arcane Cleric/Lore Bard player:
Staff of the Powerful Magical Elements: [Legacy] This crystal staff glows in the color of the elemental power it emanates that day. Once attuned, it forms a deep bond with its owner, growing in power as they do and unlocking vast magical powers. Considered to be a gift from Nethys, only an Arcane domain cleric can unlock its fullest potential. When wielded by a sorcerer, warlock or wizard, it behaves as a Staff of Fire.

At dawn, roll d8 to see what element it is for the day.

All: Arcane Lock (0), Detect Magic (0), Light (0), Mage Hand (0), Protection from Evil and Good (0), Chromatic Orb [Only of the type the staff is that day] (1)
1 - Acid (Green): Acid Splash (0), Melf's Acid Arrow (1), Acid Line [as lightning bolt] (3)
2 - Cold (Blue): Ray of Frost (0), Ice Knife (1), Ice Storm (4), Cone of Cold (5)
3 - Fire (Red): Firebolt (0), Burning hands (1), Fireball (3), Wall of fire (4)
4 - Lightning (Purple): Shocking grasp (0), Witch bolt (1), Lightning Bolt (3)
5 - Necrotic (Grey): Inflict Wounds (1), Ray of Sickness (1), Blindness/Deafness (2), Animate Dead (3)
6 - Psychic (Pink): Vicious Mockery (0), Sleep (1), Phantasmal Force (2), Hypnotic Pattern (3)
7 - Radiant (Yellow): Guiding bolt (1), Cure Wounds (2), Spirit Guardians (3)
8 - Thunder (White): Thunderclap (0), Thunderwave (1), Storm sphere (4)

Can spend up to the number of charges equal to your maximum spell slot available. (At 5th level, can use spells that cost up to 3 charges.)

Additional level dependent abilities
1) 20 charges, regaining 2d8+4 daily at dawn. Spells unlocked: Magic Missile (1), Ray of Enfeeblement (1)
2) +1 Hit/Dam with the staff
3) Retributive Strike. You can use an action to break the staff over your knee or against a solid surface, performing a retributive strike. The staff is destroyed and releases its remaining magic in an explosion that expands to fill a 30-foot-radius sphere centered on it.
You have a 50 percent chance to instantly travel to a random plane of existence, avoiding the explosion. If you fail to avoid the effect, you take force damage equal to 16 × the number of charges in the staff. Every other creature in the area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes an amount of damage based on how far away it is from the point of origin; Within 10' = 8x, 11-20' = 6x, 21-30' = 4x. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage. Spells unlocked: Flaming Sphere (2), Invisibility (2), Knock (2), Levitate (2), Web (2)
4) +1 AC while wielding the staff
5) Spell Absorption. While holding the staff, you have advantage on saving throws against spells. In addition, you can use your reaction when another creature casts a spell that targets only you. If you do, the staff absorbs the magic of the spell, canceling its effect and gaining a number of charges equal to the absorbed spell’s level. However, if doing so brings the staff’s total number of charges above 50, the staff explodes as if you activated its retributive strike. Spells unlocked: Dispel Magic (3)
6) Spell Advancement: Can expend one extra charge on spells to increase their effective level. Can still only expend number of charges equal to or less than the highest spell slot available.
7) +1 to Spell DCs while wielding the staff. Spells unlocked: Ice Storm (4), Wall of Stone (4)
8) +2 to Hit/Dam with the staff
9) Can Choose which Element the staff will function as for the day. Spells unlocked: Cone of Cold (5), Fireball [as 5th level] (5), Hold Monster (5), Lightning Bolt [as 5th level] (5), Passwall (5), Telekinesis (5), Wall of Force (5)
10) 50 charges, regaining 4d6+2 daily at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 20, the staff regains 1d12+1 charges.
11) Spells unlocked: Globe of Invulnerability (6)
12) +2 AC while wielding the staff
13) Spells unlocked: Conjure Elemental (7), Fireball [as 7th level] (7), Lightning Bolt [as 7th level] (7), Plane Shift (7)
14) Spell Advancement: Can expend up to 2 extra charges on spells to increase their effective level. Can still only expend number of charges equal to or less than the highest spell slot available.
15) +2 to Spell DCs while wielding the staff.

and finally, the Armor of Agathys - Mithril platemail for my winged tielfling Oathbreaker/necromancer player:
Mithril Platemail that provides a +1 AC and +1 spell DC bonus. It has three black smokey tendrils
out the back shoulderblades.
The black tendrils provide specific benefits that increase as you gain power.
Each tendril is tied specifically to an action, a bonus action and a reaction. Once used, each can't be used again until you've take a short or long rest.
The Action tendril can:
2) cast any of your prepared spells with a casting time of 1 Action. This casting must happen on your initiative, but can happen at any time during your turn.
3) make a melee attack within 15', using your Strength, Dex or Int attack, as you desire. On a hit, the attack deals 5d10+attack mod necrotic damage that can't be resisted, but does not bypass immunity.

The Bonus Action tendril can:
2) grant any of the following on your turn: a bonus Dash, Disengage, Help, Hide or Spell casting [this essentially Quickens any spell cast]
3) make a melee attack within 15', using your Strength, Dex or Int attack, as you desire. On a hit, the attack deals 3d10+attack mod poison damage that can't be resisted, but does not bypass immunity. Any damage incurred is drained from the victim and given to you as healing. Alternately, you can designate a receipient within 15 feet of you to receive half the healing gained.

The Reaction tendril can:
2) cast any of the following spells even if they're not prepared: Absorb Elements, Counterspell, Feather Fall or Shield. These can only be cast as a reaction not on your turn.
3) make an melee opportunity attack with 5', using your Strength, Dex or Int attack, as you desire. On a hit, the attack deals 2d10+attack mod magical bludgeoning damage that also strangulates, incapacitating anything whose Con score or HP total [whichever is smaller] is less than the amount of damage done. The victim remains unconscious until they've been damaged, or until a number of minutes equal to the damage that was been inflicted has transpired. Unconscious victims wake up on their initiative.

wow that is truely powerful items, mine wont be that powerful, but theres alot of ideas I can use! thanks!