PDA

View Full Version : What spells or items from Oldschool D&D do you grandfather into your games?

Coidzor
2016-04-23, 09:08 PM
Just saw the thread about how disruptive spells are to the narrative in AD&D and it reminded me that not all spells got updated in 3e, 3.5, or PF.

And here we are.

Âmesang
2016-04-23, 10:23 PM
I've a 3rd Edition arcanist who knows the 2nd Edition spell, Keraptis' flamecone… though to be fair, it's literally just a fiery version of cone of cold. However, I would also like to have the character learn Slerotin's fortitude (which was very easy to update), and, due to an editing error, use polymorph any object to replicate transmute water to dust.

I've also been looking at an old DRAGON article about plane shift tuning folks that I'd like to implement. Apparently there was a LIVING GREYHAWK™ adventure that priced the Ethereal Plane fork at 200 gp, which the old article claimed was made of glass and shattered after a single use; oddly appropriate, since the Savage Tides Adventure Path listed 3,000 gp as the price for the iron fork tuned to the fist layer of the Abyss. It can be used endlessly, and while 200 gp might be a bit much for a single-use fork arguably access to the Ethereal Plane is far more useful (although Pazunia has its uses).

EDIT: Also potion miscibility (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b). :smalltongue:

nedz
2016-04-23, 10:37 PM
Inverted Ethics (from 2E's Tome of Magic) - best magical trap ever.

Templarkommando
2016-04-24, 12:00 AM
I don't know about grandfathering, but I tried to talk my DM into implementing a rule from 1st edition that makes it so that fighters basically poop out a castle upon reaching a certain level. He didn't go for it.

Coidzor
2016-04-24, 12:16 AM
I don't know about grandfathering, but I tried to talk my DM into implementing a rule from 1st edition that makes it so that fighters basically poop out a castle upon reaching a certain level. He didn't go for it.

Good for the fighters' colons, though.

Then again, if they can fit a castle up there, they can probably survive an arseplomancer...

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-24, 12:31 AM

They made it a feat in the stronghold builder's guidebook; landlord. If you're willing to sac' a feat to it then you can still have your castle at level 9. So can anybody else, though.

torrasque666
2016-04-24, 12:41 AM
My DM loves to bring in things from 2E. Namely, the Advanced Medusa Blood from the Apocalypse Stone. Most players get tripped up by the Con save. Honestly, should be updated to Fort save, but I don't mind. Its only a DC 15. That and I always make sure to play archers now, who literally fill their quivers with the blood. Just keep them arrows soaked in it. Con saves for your monsters dude.

BWR
2016-04-24, 01:37 AM
Tons of stuff. Just about every spell and magic item in Mystara, and lots of the stuff from BECMI in general.
Scrolls of Spell Catching, Travel, Sathrah's Ingenious Recollection, Rods of the Wyrm, Potions of Luck and more have all made their appearance in my game.

redzimmer
2016-04-24, 12:24 PM
I always loved Chromatic Orb. Best spell in Baldur's Gate if you ask me.

Khedrac
2016-04-24, 04:54 PM
I brought a (modifed) Basic D&D Staff of Healing - will cure 1d8 hp per recipient per day - really useful at low level or if you need to heal a lot of low level villagers, but not much use at high level otherwise.

Bullet06320
2016-04-24, 05:57 PM
Mantle spell from Secrets of the Magister
its a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell. seriously uses up to 4 spell slots. scales with level up to 30th, has all sorts of goodies attached to it, and customizable
I also think its got the longest spell description of any spell ever printed, 4 pages I think, lol and it converts real easy to 3rd edition. that still sees lots of play with wizards at my table

Magentawolf
2016-04-25, 03:49 PM
EDIT: Also potion miscibility (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b). :smalltongue:

Potion Miscibility is actually a legitimate thing in 5e again. o.O