PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Darkest Dungeon 5E

ZenBear
2016-04-24, 01:00 AM
This is the skeleton of an outline I'm starting for the next game I DM. Thoughts and input would be appreciated! I will update the OP as I go, assuming sufficient interest.

Mechanical Premise
A megadungeon with thematic locales and dynamic encounters. Losses must be accepted in order to reach the lowest levels of the dungeon. Players are encouraged to try different builds and modulate their party to suit the dangers ahead, and DMs are encouraged to modulate the encounters to challenge and entertain the players. Storytelling should be kept to a minimum. Taking a cue from Dark Souls, populate the dungeon with snippets of story. A remarkable weapon of a deceased hero, a tattered banner of a mercenary band, very occasionally an NPC.

The Inn
Demilich proprietor. Too mad to seek domination, he simply chats with anyone who comes to the tavern. He provides lore and trivia when the mood strikes (DM discretion). Driven to his miserable state by what was unearthed beneath his keep.

The Ruins
Lots of undead. Clerics and Paladins will have a blast. Urban setting, dilapidated buildings of the town around the keep.
Necromancer - Use the homebrew Necromancer.
Prophet -

The Weald
Bandits and beasts.
Hag - We have hags in the MM. Perhaps a coven?
Brigand Pounder - Really define the battlefield and set that cannon somewhere hard to reach/well defended.

The Warrens
Monsters and mutations.
Swine Prince -
Flesh - Gibbering Mouther on steroids?

The Cove
Aquatic and amphibious creatures. Merrow, bullywugs, etc.
Siren - Sea Hag? I’ve got hags on the brain today. :P
Drowned Crew - Yo ho.

We shouldn’t shackle ourselves to the mechanics of the game. Take the concepts and apply them to 5E.

Foxhound438
2016-04-24, 02:04 AM
My homebrew for the swine prince:
Swine Prince:
Stats: Huge; AC 10 (natural armor); move: 15 feet
22/4/22/1/1/1; proficient in wisdom saves

HP: 16d12+96

Swine Prince has a fatty layer of flesh that protects him. This layer has 40 HP, and is damaged whenever an attack against him rolls between 10 and 18, taking damage in place of Swine Prince. While Swine Prince has this layer, he has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

MultiAttack: 2 cleaver attacks, or one flailing attack

Great Cleaver: +10 to attack, 3d6+6; if the target is "marked" by Wilbur, the attack deals an extra 6d6 damage and the mark is removed (brutal when target is marked, as intended)

Flailing Attack: attacks each creature within 10 feet; +10 to hit, 3d4+6; on hit: target makes a dc 18 con save or is stunned until the end of its next turn

Reaction: when Wilbur is hit by an attack, Swine Prince makes one Flailing Attack as a reaction.

Wilbur:
Stats: small; AC 17 (chain shirt, shield); move 30 ft
5/14/12/18/16/8

HP: 8d6+8

action: a single target within 30 feet makes a DC 13 Dex save; on a failure, the target is "marked" until the start of Wilbur's next turn. (flavored as him spitting pheromone fluid on the party)

action: Wilbur squeals to disorient his foes; each creature in a 15 foot cone makes a DC 15 con save, or their speed is reduced to zero until the end of Wilbur's next turn (recharge 5-6) (generally used to halt a creature so swine prince can get up to it to hit it)

I ran with these, had the party get shut into a smallish chamber with the two. Players really enjoyed it.

Foxhound438
2016-04-24, 02:35 AM
The Weald
Bandits and beasts.
Hag - We have hags in the MM. Perhaps a coven?
Brigand Pounder - Really define the battlefield and set that cannon somewhere hard to reach/well defended.

don't forget shrooms

manny2510
2016-04-24, 03:47 AM
My homebrew for the swine prince:
Swine Prince:
Stats: Huge; AC 10 (natural armor); move: 15 feet
22/4/22/1/1/1; proficient in wisdom saves

HP: 16d12+96

Swine Prince has a fatty layer of flesh that protects him. This layer has 40 HP, and is damaged whenever an attack against him rolls between 10 and 18, taking damage in place of Swine Prince. While Swine Prince has this layer, he has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

MultiAttack: 2 cleaver attacks, or one flailing attack

Great Cleaver: +10 to attack, 3d6+6; if the target is "marked" by Wilbur, the attack deals an extra 6d6 damage and the mark is removed (brutal when target is marked, as intended)

Flailing Attack: attacks each creature within 10 feet; +10 to hit, 3d4+6; on hit: target makes a dc 18 con save or is stunned until the end of its next turn

Reaction: when Wilbur is hit by an attack, Swine Prince makes one Flailing Attack as a reaction.

Wilbur:
Stats: small; AC 17 (chain shirt, shield); move 30 ft
5/14/12/18/16/8

HP: 8d6+8

action: a single target within 30 feet makes a DC 13 Dex save; on a failure, the target is "marked" until the start of Wilbur's next turn. (flavored as him spitting pheromone fluid on the party)

action: Wilbur squeals to disorient his foes; each creature in a 15 foot cone makes a DC 15 con save, or their speed is reduced to zero until the end of Wilbur's next turn (recharge 5-6) (generally used to halt a creature so swine prince can get up to it to hit it)

I ran with these, had the party get shut into a smallish chamber with the two. Players really enjoyed it.

Give a Goristro a greataxe, blind it, Buff a dretch with at-will faerie fire and a stronger fetid cloud.