PDA

View Full Version : adventure for urban campaign

de-trick
2007-06-23, 07:08 PM
OK basically my campaign is just started but i have the main plot but i need to level my PCs up alot. basically there 1st level and level for final boss will be 15 or higher.

back to first adventure
requirements

1-2 level
urban
involve a thief guild
for a group of 6

goat
2007-06-23, 07:11 PM
Are we pro- or anti- said thieves' guild?

de-trick
2007-06-23, 07:15 PM
anti because paladin in party

Valdyr
2007-06-23, 07:36 PM
The Thieves' Guild is trying to smuggle X item or creature into/out of the city. PCs must stop them by interrogating various NPCs who will become important later on to determine the path that they Theives are going to use to get the thing into/out of the city. After a few encounters with some thieves up above, they go down into the sewers, fight some dire rats and maybe some undead (created by a minor necromancer or some tomb down there) and eventually stop the smuggling operation.

The originial Neverwinter Nights campaign has some great examples of things that can be done in an urban setting. The whole first act takes place in a city.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-23, 07:44 PM
A body washes up at the docks. It is a prominent member of government or the police force who was actively involved in getting rid of the thieves' guild.

Here's the catch: Thieves' guild had nothing to do with it.

de-trick
2007-06-23, 08:01 PM
forgot to mention the pc found a note about a meeting at theifs guild from a dead member

Galathir
2007-06-23, 08:02 PM
I recently ran an urban campaign and the group has lots of fun. You can always introduce neutral organizations into the city to provide for your adventuring needs. I made major use of "The Order of Ancient Mysteries" based very loosely on the concept in DMGII. They had conflicts with other organizations such as the corrupt town government, the church of Pelor, the Thieves Guild, Town Guard, and another unknown background force. This works best (for me, anyway) if the PC's just come in contact with each group without knowing their motives, history, alignment, etc. They can, of course, find out much of this over time but the task of discovering the truth behind several competing organizations and deciding which one to support, fight, ignore, ally with, or tolerate can make for lots of interesting role-play.

Tallis
2007-06-25, 02:22 PM
The thieves guild has robbed a temple (preferably the paladin's) of several non-magical or minor magical treasures. They are hiding the items while awaiting thechance to smuggle them out of the city for sale. While tracking the items the PCs find out that the thieves guild has the unofficial support of a rival temple. The rival temple may have actually hired them to do the job, but they are protected by a powerful noble and can't be driven out of the city or publically attacked. Getting proof of their involvement might rally support of the other nobles, but while the PCs search for it the priests discover their activities. They now have the temple, the thieves guild and the noble (who would be embarrassed if this came out due to his public support of the temple) plotting against them. This would work best if the rival temple is neutral, evil priests are too easy to pin the blame on.