View Full Version : Player Help What should I do?

Shnigda
2016-04-24, 09:53 AM
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem with my group at the moment. My character is a tripper/charger fighter-type guy (large with and extra 5ft reach from Warshaper) so can deal quite a bit of damage on a charge and can then do a bit of BFC. I have also taken feats and classes to help protect weak points such as will saves. However, I don't think my DM can deal with this that well and I don't know what to do.
On the one hand I can do damage well and he can't really deal with it well so I feel I should help him out in some way. But on the other, my character is only good in melee combat and not much else because that's what he does, he does the smashing and lets others do the talking/figuring out, so I don't really want to nerf the character.
Also, the character has some fairly obvious weak points which I have pointed out to the DM but he just can't seem to implement them. In my mind it is fairly simple to put in enemies that attack from range or use magic from range, or maybe enemies that have high AC so I cant use power attack as effectively.
Any thoughts on what I should do would be much appreciated!

graeylin
2016-04-24, 09:58 AM
Kudos on wanting to help your DM better play the game.

Couple things:

you can continue to keep the dialogue open with the DM.

You can scale back your tactics a bit (you CAN charge, but just don't). Save your massive charge/trip power attack wipe-out for the darker hours, when the group really needs a hero to save their skins. Until then, use your weapon for normal attacks, for example.

Alternately, perhaps you can take on the BBEG and keep him occupied, while the other players handle all the mooks. Or, vice versa, holler at them to "go get Xandu!", while you lay tripping waste on the dozen mooks surrounding him.

Gildedragon
2016-04-24, 10:14 AM
TBH I'd recommend tinkering with your character a bit. The DM is frustrated after all, and doesn't know how to use your weak points.
One of the biggest weaknesses with pure combat characters is that outside of combat they aren't very active. Social encounters would work to "nerf" you. As would difficult terrain, readied actions with lances, flying sorts, ground traps...
Your DM might need help with tactics. Point them in the playground's direction.
Just... Be mindful and kind and polite to the DM they are your friend and you ought consider their feelings too. If your character is too much for them to handle, then lower the cheese.

Shnigda
2016-04-25, 05:32 PM
Interesting ideas, I might suggest my DM has a look at the Playground for some tips.
Any other ideas?