PDA

View Full Version : An idea for 5e beyond 20

Sigreid
2016-04-24, 10:47 AM
So I was thinking about what could be done to continue with a party without throwing everything out of wack and not using epic boons. what I was thinking was that after level 20, every time a character gets the amount of XP it takes to go from level 19 to 20 they can select 1 feature from a class (i.e. hit die, proficiency, spell casting etc.)

The rules:

Proficiency bonus never goes up. +6 is the cap.
You get just one feature, a roll of the hit die, proficiency etc.
Level 20 spellcaster caps the number of spells per level per day as well as the spells known for each individual spellcasting class. So you will only ever have 1 9th level spell per day, but you could know both cleric and wizard 9th level spells and have them prepared.
You have to have all of the features from a class for a given level before you can take any of the features from the second level
If you have the pre-requisite features for selecting a sub class, you can take subclass features from another subclass.

The idea is that this lets the characters continue to advance and get new and fun abilities and flexibility very slowly without completely breaking bounded accuracy or negating all challenge in the game.