PDA

View Full Version : Skill Advancement Idea

Pope Scarface
2016-04-24, 12:12 PM
The group I play with dislikes the lack of ability to improve skills, so I've been kicking around some ideas for how to tweak the skills system. I generally favor simple and few house rules when possible, so a total overhaul is not desirable, personally. I'd be interested in feedback from more people who've got more experience with 5E.

House rule has three parts.

1. Tool proficiencies are removed, and replaced with Focused Skill proficiencies (up for ideas for a better name for these). Focused Skills can include proficiency with specific tools, but also opens up taking something like Climbing, Swimming, Tumbling, Jumping, Balance, etc. Classes and backgrounds still give their specific tool proficiencies, but some exceptions could be made, such as taking Singing instead of an instrument.

2. Whenever your proficiency bonus increases (5th, 9th, 13th, 17th), you gain an additional Focused Skill proficiency. All characters gain an additional Focused Skill proficiency at level 1 as well.

3. If you have 3 Focused Skill Proficiencies that would fall under the same Skill that you are not proficient with, you can upgrade them to proficiency with that skill. If you have 3 Focused Skill Proficiencies that would fall under the same Skill that you are proficient with, you can upgrade them to Expertise with that skill.

Consequences of this system that immediately come to mind is that all Bards get Expertise in Perform at level 1, because they get 3 instrument tool proficiencies and Perform.

FightStyles
2016-04-25, 03:54 PM
Not a bad idea at all. Could be an interesting system.

How do languages fall under these, or do they at all?

One thing I did with my players was allow them to gain a tool prof. or a language prof. at each 4 levels (basically with ASI's.) It was a little bit of an oversight though, as the players didn't really attempt to use anything with their tools. But it could have at some point.

Pope Scarface
2016-04-25, 06:50 PM
You could take a language instead of a Focused Skill.