PDA

View Full Version : Let's Build a Better Death Knight!

redzimmer
2016-04-24, 12:18 PM
The MM2 death knight always left me wanting.

I have a campaign upcoming based on the Seven Deadly Sins and want to model an "order" of seven death knights based on one of each.
(Being in this interpretation: Wrath, Pride, Envy, Lust, Greed, Sloth and Gluttony.)

Using such resources as Libris Mortis, the Fiendish Codices and the "Completes", can you help me make these Seven?

CR would be scaled with the first as CR 8 on up to CR 15.

Val666
2016-05-03, 01:55 PM
Since idk te challenge rating in which the dk's will show I wont state level. Just class combinations and stuff.

Wrath: I think a lot of people will say Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker and it really is a nice idea. Try adding some warblade levels, focus on charging. Profit.

Lust: uhm cha based spellcaster with that prestige class from one of the Dragon Magazines. I think is Thrall of Malcanteth. It turns you or nearlly into a sucubi.

Gluttony could be a Thrall of Juiblex/Soul Eater. A mass of death wanting to consume it all.

Sloth: uhmm

Pride: Pride must be a loner, it thinks he can do everything on it's own, it requiers no one and Idk why I keep thinking about having great cha. An Evil Cleric could fit. If you want something more death knaughty, scrath the lonely part and add Bone Knight levels.

Envy: something that can copy/steal abilities...or just be able to replicate anything via spells, like a an archivist

Greed: You can tie his greedy personality to dragons, give him some dragonesque features or be a sorcerer which have draconic servants, a hoard, and his "true form" is shapechange or draconic polymorph

Gildedragon
2016-05-03, 02:13 PM
Sloth: timestop mage or battlefield controller OR a minionmancer
Pride: factotum or chameleon OR something with massive charisma (dryad base?) meant to awe and cow others. Maybe someone with a turn humanoid effect?
Lust: enchanter, mind control and illusion based, turn the party against itself OR for a more grotesque and humorous twist: arseplomancer
Envy: spellthief
Greed... It is hard to tease out from envy, but could be someone with lots and lots of gear... That can't be stolen (or if stolen can't be used by others: will disintegrate, is keyed to just then, etc) perhaps fighter with 300% wbl, and lots of expendable hirelings?
Gluttony: monk sort. Unarmed strike, grapple, bite attack and devour whole. Maybe a breath weapon...

Flickerdart
2016-05-03, 02:30 PM
I did a post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20004560&postcount=8) about the seven sins. While the original post was about puzzles, it's pretty simple to use the themes on monsters instead.

Lust is about lacking self-control. A death knight that embodies lust would be impulsive and ignorant of consequences. Such a creature should use abilities that strain it - Power Attack/Shock Trooper to reduce its AC, divine sacrifice that eats at its health, Body Fuel to cannibalize ability scores, etc. Confusion or insanity may be prominent.

Gluttony represents over-consumption and selfishness. A gluttonous knight may blast fire in an air-right room (eating up the oxygen supply) or drain health from his allies to power his abilities/heal himself.

Greed represents seeking physical wealth over spiritual wealth. Such a character could be an artificer who uses souls for XP, showing up with a stack of powerful, evil magical items. Bonus points: the PCs will be tempted to use the knight's items once they defeat him, succumbing to greed themselves.

Sloth is failure to develop physically spiritually, and the failure to do what must be done. The slothful are neither zealous nor vigilant. Another minion user seems appropriate here, as does an enchanter - both use others to accomplish their goals.

Wrath represents anger and hated. A ranger/barbarian who is optimized against a specific creature type is an excellent candidate here.

Envy is coveting that which belongs to others, when you see it bringing them profit. A bard would be ideal - he could steal the party's items, convince or charm their companions to betray them, and generally strip away the source of their power.

Pride is love of self perverted into hatred of everyone else; pride causes servants to betray their rightful masters. An ideal knight of Pride would be a paladin mount who has captured its rider in stasis, and now uses the HD and powers gained from being a paladin mount to do evil bad stuff. A share pain effect would make sure that attacks against the mount hurt its master, making the knight difficult to defeat without killing the hostage as well.

illyahr
2016-05-03, 02:50 PM
The only problem with a Death Knight Barbarian is that Death Knights are undead. Undead are immune to mind-affecting abilities. The bonus to Str and Con from raging is a morale bonus, which falls under mind-affecting. You wouldn't get the bonuses but would still take the AC penalty.

redzimmer
2016-05-03, 03:14 PM
I would add decay or disease aspects to sloth as well as slow effects. Maybe envy or lust could possess dirgesinger feat?

I live the idea of gluttony and avarice having inescapable cravings in their makeup. A hoard for the avarice knight acting similarly to a phylactery, etc.

atemu1234
2016-05-03, 10:16 PM
The only problem with a Death Knight Barbarian is that Death Knights are undead. Undead are immune to mind-affecting abilities. The bonus to Str and Con from raging is a morale bonus, which falls under mind-affecting. You wouldn't get the bonuses but would still take the AC penalty.

Warblade would function, but the undead type and pre-existing D12 hit dice is suboptimal. Crusader, maybe?

Telonius
2016-05-03, 10:27 PM
Pride is love of self perverted into hatred of everyone else; pride causes servants to betray their rightful masters. An ideal knight of Pride would be a paladin mount who has captured its rider in stasis, and now uses the HD and powers gained from being a paladin mount to do evil bad stuff. A share pain effect would make sure that attacks against the mount hurt its master, making the knight difficult to defeat without killing the hostage as well.

So basically, Bad Horse as a Thrallherd...? :smallamused:

ShurikVch
2016-05-04, 09:56 AM
There is Life Eater (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020911b) PrC
There are two different variants of Hunger domain: from Doresain in Libris Mortis, and Turaglas - in Dragon #312
Also, there is Seduction domain - in the same Dragon #312, article "Thieves of Will - Evil Enchanters"
Dragon #323 have "Seven Deadly Domains" article - with new domain for every of 7 sins

3rd-party Unholy Warrior Handbook have Champion of the Dark Seven PrC

The only problem with a Death Knight Barbarian is that Death Knights are undead. Undead are immune to mind-affecting abilities. The bonus to Str and Con from raging is a morale bonus, which falls under mind-affecting. You wouldn't get the bonuses but would still take the AC penalty.According to SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage), Str and Con from raging is unnamed bonus; undead Barbarian still get Str, but not Con or morale bonus on Will saves