PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5 Race: Discworld Troll

Telonius
2016-04-24, 01:34 PM
I'm attempting to design a playable PC race to represent a Discworld Troll, using the Goliath (Races of Stone) as the starting point. So, two questions. Does this look like it captures the theme, and is this a bit too strong for LA +0?

Troll

Use the statistics for Goliath, with the following exceptions:
Race name changes to “Troll.” (MM Troll is renamed to "Bogle").
Ability scores: +4 Strength, -2 Dex.
Remove Mountain Movement and bonus on Sense Motive checks.
Variable Intellect: Trolls’ Intelligence scores can vary depending on the surrounding climate. In ambient heat other than Moderate (between 40 and 60 degrees F), a troll's Intelligence score is adjusted per the table below. These adjustments are made according to the air temperature only. Being struck by a Fire or Ice attack does not, by itself, cause any Intelligence adjustment. Do not take the intelligence adjustment into account when determining number of skill points awarded at level-ups.
LA +0

Temperature
Intelligence Adjustment

Unearthly Cold (-51 F and below)
+6

Extreme Cold (-50 to -21 F)
+4

Severe Cold (-20 to 0 F)
+2

Cold (1 to 40 F)
+1

Moderate (41 to 60 F)
(None)

Warm (61 to 90 F)

Hot (91 to 110 F)

Severe Heat (111 to 140 F)

Extreme Heat (141 to 180 F)

Unearthly Heat (181 F to 210 F)

Burning Heat (211 F and above)

DracoDei
2016-04-24, 07:29 PM
I assume they take less/no damage from environmental temperatures? I wouldn't think that would be a feature of the Goliath, so you ought to specify that.

At high levels an item that duplicates Endure Elements, but set to a very low temperature would be utter cheese. Such a thing would be either obscure or completely non-existant in officially published books (might be in Frostburn?), but it is somewhat immersion breaking that someone wouldn't have invented such a thing in your typical D&D campaign. Of course if you are actually setting the campaign on Discworld that would be something else again...

Cool Trash
2016-04-24, 08:10 PM
A +2 total ASI bonus, especially to strength, which is rare for +0, and Powerful Build still feels like it makes them pretty powerful, and also kinda barebones-so many races have little, barely consequential bonuses that just kinda add flavor, and Discworld Trolls have plenty of flavor, but you don't really have room for those...Maybe a dodge bonus against Dwarves and a movement speed of 20? Overall, I'd allow it, but it's not the kind of race I could see getting past an editor.

I really don't think Trolls should have a +0 Level Adjustment. It conflicts with the very idea of Level Adjustment, which is that for some races, training isn't really necessary. The average Gnoll doesn't necessarily need combat training to go toe to toe with a level 1 fighter-it's racial proficiencies, ASIs and natural armor give it enough of an edge to not necessarily need to know how to fight. In Discworld, Trolls are regularly shown to be big threats even if they don't really know how to wield a sword or even move efficiently-they just kinda throw their considerable strength and weight around, and it tends to work.