PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Racial Traits: Point Buy

Final Hyena
2016-04-24, 02:20 PM
This is a system designed to give players more freedom with how they build their character to encourage more diversity. It replaces both the normal racial traits and background features. RP wise this is set in a world where the inhabitants (or at least their ancestors) were at the bottom of the social caste suffering magical testing and living in volatile areas explaining the diverse traits.
Traits
Everyone gains 12 points to spend on the following traits. Unless otherwise stated each trait can be picked only once;

Faction History; Everyone gets one for free.
Each faction history costs 1 point (you may pick this a maximum of 2 times).
(This is the replacement for background features)

Languages; Everyone knows common.
Each point spent gives you another known language (you may pick this a maximum of 6 times).

Skills; Everyone gets four skills for free (you may gain a tool instead of a skill).
Each skill and tool costs 2 points (you may pick this a maximum of 6 times).

Speed; your movement is 30 feet by standard.
Each 2 points spent increases your speed by 5 feet (you may pick this a maximum of 2 times).

Hardened Skin;
For 1 point your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage.

Savage Attacks;
For 1 point when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Magical Gift;
Each point spent grants you any one cantrip (With the exception of Eldritch Blast and Bladesinger spells) with a casting time of 1 action, the spellcasting attribute (which must be mental) is chosen at character creation.

Magical Talent;
Each 2 points spent grants you any one 1st level spell with a casting time of 1 action, the spellcasting attribute (which must be mental) is chosen at character creation, you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Ability Score Increase;
Each 2 points spent increase an ability score by 1 (you may pick this a maximum of 6 times). You may stack multiple increases on the same attribute to a maximum of 3 times.

Natural Swimmer;
For 2 points you have a 30 feet swim speed.

Rock Climber;
For 2 points you have a 30 feet climb speed.

Resistance;
For 2 points before you make a saving throw you can use a reaction to gain advantage on it, you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Darkvision;
For 3 points you gain darkvision to 60 feet.

Toughness;
For 3 points your gain +1 to your maximum HP for every level you possess.

Omen;
For 4 points before making a roll you may gain advantage on it, you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Relentless Endurance;
For 4 points when you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead, you can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Please comment on any traits that seem over/under valued along with any traits that could be worded better. If you have any other ideas for traits I would love to have them.
Thank you for reading.

Rogem
2016-04-24, 04:31 PM
I'd say that allow the use of Constitution as a spellcasting ability. It is already used by Dragonborn and Genasi, if I don't remember wrongly. Also, I'd say valuing damaging cantrips as 2 points and 1st-levels as 3 points might be an idea... And allowing only one 1st-level.

Edit: Oh yeah, you should probably make it 2 or 3 skills, racials mostly don't give skills.

Edit 2: Nightvision might be a little bit overvalued. 1 or 2 points would be just fine at least in my opinion.

Final Hyena
2016-04-24, 05:31 PM
I'd say that allow the use of Constitution as a spellcasting ability. It is already used by Dragonborn and Genasi, if I don't remember wrongly. Also, I'd say valuing damaging cantrips as 2 points and 1st-levels as 3 points might be an idea... And allowing only one 1st-level.
I'lld rather not have con to spellcasting regardless of the precedent. You might be right about the values I'll have another look at those, the limitation is also a fair idea.

Edit: Oh yeah, you should probably make it 2 or 3 skills, racials mostly don't give skills.
This replaces backgrounds which is why you get so many.

Edit 2: Nightvision might be a little bit overvalued. 1 or 2 points would be just fine at least in my opinion.
Darkvision is quite powerful as it allows you to sneak around in the dark/spot others which is powerful for getting/avoiding surprise rounds and just general scouting.

JNAProductions
2016-04-24, 05:59 PM
You can net a +4 to your HP per level. That increases the wimpy d6 Wizard to a d14 equivalent, and the Barbarian to a d20. That's kinda broken.

Rogem
2016-04-24, 06:17 PM
You can net a +4 to your HP per level. That increases the wimpy d6 Wizard to a d14 equivalent, and the Barbarian to a d20. That's kinda broken.

In general, I'd make it a written rule that you can only pick each Trait once, unless otherwise mentioned. That solves many of the problems.

Final Hyena
2016-04-24, 07:17 PM

The intent was that the ones which say;
Each X points - have multiple uses
For X points - pickable once

I'll clear that up.