PDA

View Full Version : Building a "necromancer" Lore bard; tips for spells?

ChalcosomaAtlas
2016-04-24, 02:41 PM
I've recently gotten into DnD and I've had a lot of fun creating characters for the 3 campaigns I play in, inspired by the Dirgesinger, and David from the Shin Megami Tensei video games.

I think I have the character fluff (mostly) down pat, but I'm having trouble with what spells I'll take in the first few levels, however, along with what spells to copy for Magical Secrets.

I was thinking going College of Lore, then getting Animate Dead and Crusader's Mantle at Level 6 for dem d4s, then Create Undead at Level 14, but how would Crusader's work fluff-wise with the undead and the melancholic nature of the character?
I've also been thinking of getting Eldritch Blast at 6th level rather than dipping two levels of Warlock, but how does that option fare against getting Agonizing Blast + an invocation, as well as other spell options for Magical Secrets? :smallfrown:
Thanks for the help, in advance!

Specter
2016-04-24, 03:15 PM
Eldritch Blast's not really worth it without Agonizing Blast.

Also, this isn't optimal, but I'd take Phantom Steed just to ride a zombie horse into the sunset.

As for level 10, I'd go for Contagion.

Socratov
2016-04-25, 04:08 AM
Well, you could ask you DM to refluff it into the following:

Necromaner's Veneer

3rd-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Self

Components: V

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Unholy power oozes from you in an aura with a 30-foot radius, instilling the strength of the grave in friendly creatures. Until the spell ends, the aura moves with you, centered on you. While in the aura, each nonhostile creature in the aura (including you) deals an extra 1d4 necrotic damage when it hits with a weapon attack.

Changed the fluff (as well as fluff language) to give a more dark feel and changed radiant to necrotic.